Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebrities studying martial arts?

Stacy Keibler!

First Look: The Gretas Return to Chuck
    Mar 14, 2011 11:29 AM ET
    by Natalie Abrams

The Gretas of Chuck are no more.

In Monday's episode, Sarah (Yvonne Strahovski) and Chuck (Zachary Levi) will find out that the side mission Casey (Adam Baldwin) has been working on involves him joining a new team. And his co-workers are not called Greta anymore.

Yvonne Strahovski on her Chuck engagement: What Moonlighting curse?

Former pro wrestling star Stacy Keibler and Old Spice guy Isaiah Mustafa return to the Chuck-verse as sleuths who have become Intersects like Chuck. If this promo isn't proof enough, someone else now knows kung fu!

"I'm doing a little bit of kung fu and I went through gun training, so I'm doing a lot more physical stuff," Keibler tells TVGuide.com. "In this episode, you're going to get a little bit of back story as to what we were actually doing as the Gretas and see who we really are."

Her character, now known as Capt. Victoria, is actually partners with fellow former Greta, Capt. Rick (Mustafa). As you might guess, Chuck will take a kick out of the "Rick and Vic" moniker. In the episode, "You see them earning their stripes," Mustafa says. "You see how they become the new duo."

So who are these agents? They belong to Bentley (Robin Givens), whom we briefly met a few episodes back when she approached Casey to quit being the backup man and finally step into the spotlight.

NBC announces season-finale dates

Bentley happens to have a friendly rivalry with the Team Intersect boss, Gen. Beckman (Bonita Friedericy). "Bentley definitely respects that Beckman's good at what she does, but she also thinks that she's good at what she does, so she enjoys that sparring," Givens says. "She really has something in mind that she wants, so she's willing to go around Beckman to get it."

"She's a no-nonsense gal who really is coming in to shake things up a little bit," Givens continues. "I don't really think she has any mercy with [Casey, Chuck and Sarah] in terms of the relationships that have already been established."

As for Chuck, Givens says her character will "push him emotionally. She's going to challenge him. How good are you at what you do? She challenges both [Chuck and Sarah] and says, 'Look, my guys can be better than your guys.'"

"Sarah gets very offended and doesn't take it very well," Strahovski says of Casey's new team. "She's just so used to having Casey and Chuck at her side that for Casey to be doing anything that she has no idea about is a betrayal almost. They try and resolve things."

Chuck airs Mondays at 8/7c on NBC.
    Stacy Keibler deserves a pic here, yes? Yes! If for no other reason but to clear our minimum text requirements for a post (quotes don't count)

@David Jamieson - seriously? I'm not sure everyone here on the forum are ardent practitioners. They just pay lip service too. What is the criteria for an ardent practitioner? Oh! I know! An ardent practitioner is subscribed to Kung Fu Tai Chi!. Seriously, if Stacy here was chatting you up about kung fu, would you deny her because she wasn't ardent?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    James Caan was a long-time black belt under Tak Kubota, and probably still is training to some degree.

Ed O'Neill is a BJJ black belt under Rorion Gracie.

Marc Singer (V, Beastmaster) was a Hung Gar student of John Leong. Okay, he's not really a Hollywood celebrity anymore (I don't think). But still...

I can agree that most Hollywood celebrities aren't serious martial arts 'lifers', but it's a pretty broad statement to say that none of them are. Very few people of any background are MA lifers, regardless of where they are. But there may be some people who might surprise you.
    Robert Downey Jr. is pretty serious about The Chun.

David Mamet is a dedicated jiu jitsu practitioner . Probably wouldn't qualify as a celebrity, but he's a pretty famous writer.

I heard Lindsay Lohan does cardio kickboxing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    This is not a veiled request for compliments

The short story is I did 325# for one set of 1 rep.

1) Does this sound gifted, or just lucky?

Abbie Cornish

I suppose this could have gone on the Sucker Punch thread, but there's will be more ttt there soon enough.
    Abbie Cornish talks up 'Limitless,' 'Sucker Punch'
    Michael Ordońa, Special to The Chronicle
    03/20/11

If you don't know Abbie Cornish's work yet, you should ... and will. The 27-year-old star of "Bright Star," "Stop-Loss" and the arresting "Candy" (with Heath Ledger) can now be seen in theaters with Bradley Cooper in "Limitless," in which a new drug can afford users access to 100 percent of their brains. She also stars in Zack Snyder's "Sucker Punch" - as Sweet Pea, one of a group of institutionalized women who discover they are warriors. "Sucker Punch" opens March 25.

Q: Was the nature of intelligence something you addressed in preparing for "Limitless"?

A: Particularly, there were discussions of what it would feel like to use 100 percent of your brain. It's hard to imagine, you know? They say we only use, like, 10 percent of our brains. So it's not like we use 50 and you just have to times it by two; we have to times it by 10.

Q: Did you have to confront that in a practical way, because your character takes the drug?

A: I imagined if you could have all your senses working at optimum form, how would that feel? Everything just heightened. I guess it's almost animalistic in a way, the way certain animals can use their senses as we can't - a dog's sense of smell, for instance. Also the idea of instinct, the sixth sense, being able to predict an outcome. I tapped into that.

Q: What is your "Sucker Punch" character like, and what is the film about?

A: Sweet Pea is the older sister of Rocket (played by Jena Malone) ... she's in there as her protector, her mother, her nurturer. She's very strong, but in the beginning of the film she's playing by the book, and that book is not one you can trust. Of course, the film is entertaining; it's girls kicking butt and all that sort of stuff, but there are a lot of existential ideas explored. What is fate? Do we have a hand in our own destiny? Who is it that sets us free? All these things are explored in the film. What it is to be a girl, to be a woman.

Q: Your combat was particularly convincing.

A: I've always loved it. My mum was Australian national karate champion. She won the full-contact championship when I was about 9. When she went into the final, she was up against a younger black belt; she was a brown belt. I remember being incredibly scared - this is my mother! It was the most amazing thing ever. I'll never, ever forget it. My mum fought so hard, round after round, and she won. She was so fierce and amazing and strong. So I would go with her and train a little bit. I've dabbled in mixed martial arts; a little bit of ninjutsu and taekwondo and karate and kickboxing and that sort of thing, so I was ready to go, day one.

Q: When this is published, your fan base is going to expand alarmingly in a new direction.

A: (laughs) I loved training with these guys. There was a moment where I actually felt like this could be my life. I bounced out of bed every single morning. I would do anything to do it again. Even with all the swords and guns and stuff, and being a vegetarian - I love people and animals so much, I never thought I'd be excited or interested in guns, but when you're using them and not harming anyone, it's amazing. So yeah, I loved making that movie. {sbox}

Limitless (PG-13) opened this weekend at Bay Area theaters.

To see a trailer, go to www.iamrogue. com/limitless.

Sucker Punch (PG-13) opens March 25 at Bay Area theaters.

To see a trailer, go to suckerpunch movie.warnerbros.com.

@Jimbo & - wenshu: we've listed some of them here already
    Ed O'Neill
    Robert Downey Jr.
    Lohan is unconfirmed beyond this.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Saoirse Ronan

Fri, 18 March 2011 at 1:30 am
    Saoirse Ronan: 'I Like Freaks'

Saoirse Ronan stars as the title character in the upcoming thriller Hanna.

The 16-year-old Irish actress and recently sat down with FilmStage to chat about picking out the strong characters, martial arts training and working alongside Eric Bana and Cate Blanchett. Check it:

On her martial arts training: “[I liked] wing chun, which we used a lot because Hanna would be fighting people bigger and stronger than she is, and would have to use their strength against them. But Jeff [Eric Bana] would also put Hanna’s own spin on the styles.”

On liking ‘freaks’: “I want all the roles that I play to hold challenges. With lots of action and a layered character, Hanna had them for me. It’s unlike any other drama that I’ve done. Here is a teenager who has been raised in a forest and has gotten all her education from her father; she’s never even met anyone else before. We meet her as she goes out on her own, and when she does she is fascinated by everyone and everything she comes across. My favorite quality of hers is that she is non-judgmental; she shows an open mind to, and a fascination with, everything. She’s a bit of a freak. But, I like that; I like freaks.”

On working with Cate and Eric: “[Cate] is someone I look up to. I admire her work ethic and her professionalism. Sharing a scene with her, she gives you so much – yet manages to be so contained and not give away too much when she doesn’t need to. Eric is a terrific actor and is lovely to be around. He is like a ray of light on the set. He’s hilarious, and would keep me smiling on the coldest days in Finland.”
    See our Hanna thread for more.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Robert Downey Jr. is pretty serious about The Chun.

David Mamet is a dedicated jiu jitsu practitioner . Probably wouldn't qualify as a celebrity, but he's a pretty famous writer.

I heard Lindsay Lohan does cardio kickboxing.
    ofcourse mamet qualifies as a celeb...he is david ****ing mamet.

DJ Kimberly S

I know, sort of random, but it came up on the newsfeed today...
    Artist spotlight: DJ Kimberly S
    by O&AN Staff Reports
    Jun 1, 2011
    By Ellen Angelico

DJ Kimberly S tours the world spinning records at some of the hottest parties from Brazil to Beijing and everywhere in between. A woman of diverse interests, she’s also a black belt.

"I recently opened my very own martial arts studio in Hollywood called Kick! Martial Arts," she says. "We specialize in a blended style of Taekwondo that encompasses Hapkido and Kuksoolwon as well. We also have an extremely popular Kickboxing program. It's been my dream and I'm loving every minute of it!"

So how does this fit in with being an in-demand, world famous DJ?

"I'm still DJing full steam ahead, and just recently played in Bangkok, Thailand for Song Kran, which is the Thai New Year," says Kimberly. "It was an absolutely amazing party! As soon as I returned home, I had to fly up to Vancouver for a gig at Celebrities."

Obviously, Kimberly is a very busy lady. She’s worked on numerous records, including three compilations for Centaur Music, the disc Rapture on Frank Abraham’s AM label, and her own compilation CD called Music to Wear for Andrew Christian’s men’s clothing line. She’s appeared on television on the WB hit show Charmed, as well as in national photo spreads for the John Paul Mitchell Systems hair care line. The secret to her success? She says it’s all about setting goals: "It’s the best way to get what you want out of life - and it really works!"

Kimberly started her now vast music career out humbly as a buyer for retail music chains. It was in this capacity that she met a local DJ and cut him a deal on new singles in exchange for mixing lessons. She practiced and hustled (in the same club for eight years!) and word eventually spread of her prowess. While headlining at Girlbar in L.A., Kimberly met Jeffrey Sanker, who recruited her for "Factory Saturdays," the most popular night at L.A.’s largest gay disco.

Her career has continued to grow since, but not without some resistance.

“I often felt that there were some people that didn’t take me seriously because I was a woman," Kimberly says. "I definitely felt that I had to prove myself as a woman who could hold her own against the male DJs."

Arguably, she has more than proved herself, playing at some of the largest parties in the United States. She’s played at Miami’s Winter Party, Chicago’s Fireball, Orlando’s One Mighty Party, and Mardi Gras in New Orleans. Additionally, from 2004 to last year she’s headlined international tours in the Philippines, Taipei, Bangkok, Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Singapore, Indonesia, Brazil, and Mexico.

At the heart of this crazy schedule is a deep appreciate for music.

"I am a lover of house music in its purest form," Kimberly explains. "House and Dance integrates all different genres into its flow, and as a result, it enables people to feel an array of different emotions: joy, love, nostalgia, inhibition, passion… I want my sets to serve it all to my fans on the dance floor."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Susan Boyle

Does this count? At least it made the headline.
    Kung fu star Susan Boyle?
    Source: bang showbiz
    Date: 1 November 2011

Susan Boyle practices her kung fu moves in a store in China while wearing a red-patterned kimono in new TV documentary, 'Susan Boyle: An Unlikely Superstar'.

Susan Boyle practices her kung fu moves in a store in China in a new TV documentary.

The Scottish singing sensation is seen running around the shop wearing a red-patterned kimono while performing wild chops and punching her arms out, in scenes from 'Susan Boyle: An Unlikely Superstar'.

Filmed during her trip to the Far East ahead of the final of 'China's Got Talent' - which she performed at - the scenes saw stunned staff look on in amazement as she attempted to perform martial arts at the Shanghai shop.

And it seems Susan - who shot to worldwide fame when she auditioned for 'Britain's Got Talent' in 2009, which she eventually finished second in - wanted to make the most of shopping in China as she rarely visits them when she's in London.

The 50-year-old star - who is worth an estimated Ł7 million - said: "I only go shopping in M&S when I come to London. It's handiest for clothes, isn't it?"

Susan also revealed in the documentary - which will air on ITV1 on Friday (04.11.11) at 9pm - she doesn't expect her career to last forever.

She said: "Everybody has a sell-by date. When that comes, they'll let you know. Until then I'm just going to enjoy it."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Mark Zuckerberg & Larry Page

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

J-lo!!!!

You gotta follow the link for this. J-Lo doing Capoeira! I only copies a few of the pix....
    Now that’s belly dancing! Jennifer Lopez exposes taut midriff as she cartwheels through Brazilian routine
    By Leah Simpson
    Last updated at 11:38 AM on 9th December 2011

She may be a 42-year-old mother-of-two but this Latino queen can move like the rest of them.

Jennifer Lopez wowed the crowds on the beaches of Montevideo today as she took part in a martial arts dance routine on Ingleses beach - and showed off her impressively toned stomach.

Estranged husband Marc Anthony might want to look away as the mother of his twins Max and Emmie got up close and personal with a group of topless men on the Uruguay shore.

Dancing queen: Jennifer Lopez shows off her impressive cartwheeling skills as she films scenes for her Latin reality show in Uruguay today

Jennifer ditched the high heel shoes but managed to move in tight jeans to perform a cartwheel as part of a Capoeira routine.

The star rolled her red top up to reveal her taut tummy as she got involved with the Brazilian combination of dance and fight performers at Playa de los Ingleses (Englishmen's Beach).

Despite going through a separation Lopez - who is now dating her back-up dancer Casper Smart - was all smiles as she got on with casting for her TV reality show Q' Viva: The Chosen.

New tricks: Lopez was learning the Brazilian performance art Capoeira, a mixture of fight, dance and music

Take that: Jennifer had boundless energy as she performed a series of manoeuvres on the beach in Playa de los Ingleses

Take that: Jennifer had boundless energy as she performed a series of manoeuvres on the beach in Playa de los Ingleses

The olive-skinned beauty arrived on set with a snakeskin clutch and oversized sunglasses which she kept on throughout.

The single mother wasn’t too shy about getting touchy feely with the muscular men in grass skirts either.

She left onlookers gasping in amazement as she pulled off high kicks in the sweltering sun.

The scoop back in her crop top helped to keep her cool on the latest stop on the South American Tour for her talent show.

The active shots come immediately after it was claimed her ex-partner refused to film scenes for her new project due to clashing over taking their children on holiday with her back up dancer flame Casper.

They apparently had a massive row in Morocco which has now caused tension between the pair.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I could volunteer my services.

I think she needs a 'spotter'...safety first! She has a million dollar ass.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

Okay, I don't know anything about this as I don't watch the X Factor

And it's sort of a let-down after J-Lo, but it's a slow news day, so I'll post it here.

Goldie’s back for The X Factor final
    Published: Today at 00:36
    WACKY Goldie Cheung is to return for Sunday's final — despite slamming the show for turning her into a joke act.

The Tai Chi instructor will join all the finalists — except shamed cocaine user Frankie Cocozza — for a group song.

They will sing a medley of tunes including Rihanna's We Found Love and Lady Gaga hit Edge of Glory. Mum-of-two Goldie, 49, caused a stir at her audition by chasing Gary Barlow around Wembley Arena.

She was picked by Louis Walsh to be one of the finalists but walked out amid reports she feared being set up to be an oddball — like Wagner last year.The official reason was homesickness.

This weekend's final will also feature Coldplay, One Direction, Michael Buble, JLS, Leona Lewis and Westlife.
    Goldie Cheung set to perform on The X Factor 2011 Wembley final!
    December 9th, 2011 01:16 by Matt Scott

Goldie Cheung will appear on the show’s live Wembley grand final this weekend, it is claimed!

The 49-year-old Tai Chi instructor amused the judges with her try-out and was picked by Louis Walsh as one of his contestants, but she later quit, fearing that she’d be portrayed as a joke contestant.

Now, The Sun reports that Cheung will join all fifteen finalists – minus shamed ejectee Frankie Cocozza – for a group performance of a medley of songs, including ‘We Found Love’ by Rihanna and ‘The Edge Of Glory’ by Lady Gaga.

We can’t wait – tune in to the final this Saturday at 8.00pm and Sunday at 7.30pm!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Ryan Gosling

Ryan Gosling's Mixed Martial Arts Training
    Posted Thursday December 29, 2011 9:34 AM GMT

Looking to brush up on his fighting skills, Ryan Gosling was spotted attending a Mixed Martial Arts class in Hollywood yesterday (December 28).

The “Lars and the Real Girl” stud looked a bit worn out after his training, but made sure to stop into a nearby MMA store to pick up some workout clothes.

In related news, Mr. Gosling is joining forces with Emily Deschanel, Zooey Deschanel, Alicia Silverstone, and Bryan Adams to ask McDonald’s to switch to using only free range eggs.

Their open letter states, “While MCDonald’s has already established a 100 per cent cage-free purchasing policy in Europe, your US restaurants continue to support egg factory farms that confine hens for most of their lives in cages so small they can’t even spread their wings, nearly anything that comes naturally to them. Common sense tells us that animals with legs and wings should be given the basic freedom to move.”

“Sadly, there is not a single federal law to protect hens from cruelty from the time they hatch to the time they are killed. While McDonald’s brags about the ‘billions and billions served,’ millions of hens exploited for your restaurants are being grossly underserved. In fact, these animals are being abused in ways that would land your egg suppliers in jail, if dogs or cats were the victims.”
    10 char min.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

i use to watch ryan gosling in young hercules as a kid...he had some ok moves but he got doubled alot lol...but drive man...this guy jumped ten levels in my eyes with that movie...but then again so did paul walker with running scared and he has yet to do anything as gritty as that.

Jeremy Renner

Renner studied Filipino martial arts
    FUNFARE By Ricardo F. Lo The Philippine Star Updated January 12, 2012 12:00 AM
    The Bourne Legacy star Jeremy Renner in the cover story of the latest issue of the US magazine Details and (inset) with Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol co-star Tom Cruise from whom he will inherit the MI franchise.

Did you know that Jeremy Renner, star of The Bourne Legacy that started shooting in the Malate area yesterday, listed Filipino stick fighting (arnis de mano, I presumed) among the disciplines that he studied (also including world religion, sociology, criminology and Muay Thai martial arts)?

I learned about this from a recent issue the US magazine Details that featured him on the cover.

I’m not sure though if Renner is using his knowledge of the Filipino martial arts in his role as an agent in what the Details article described as the “Matt Damon-less” fourth installment of the Bourne series written and directed by Oscar-nominated Tony Gilroy who, in a report, said that 40 percent of the movie is being shot here in Manila with co-stars, among others, Rachel Weisz and Edward Norton. It was Damon who starred in the first three installments. Renner is playing an entirely different role.

Since Renner is here for more than a month (and there’s a chance that you might cross paths with him, ah, “somewhere”) maybe it will be helpful for you…for us!...to know more about him, more than the fact that he co-stars with Tom Cruise on Ghost Protocol, the fourth in the series of the smash-hit Mission Impossible franchise and the one that catapulted Cruise back to the top of the hit chart.

? The good news is that Renner has confirmed in an interview with MTV News that he’s set to take over the MI series from Cruise, saying, “I can’t predict the future and what they want but that’s certainly the idea.”

? Until he got an Oscar nomination for The Hurt Locker in 2009 for his role as Sergeant First Class William James of the Army Explosive Ordinance Disposal Unit (EOD), Renner was a virtual unknown even if he had been doing movies and TV shows for almost two decades. “A couple of years ago,” noted the Details story, “nobody would have recognized his name at all.” Meaning, he could have stood beside you at a bar and you wouldn’t have been able to tell him from Adam. It’s a different story now. “It’s not normal,” Renner was quoted as saying, not expecting to hit the big time after languishing in anonymity. “It’s just not normal.”

? He’ll be seen next as the arrow-slinging Hawkeye in The Avengers with Robert Downey Jr., Scarlett Johansson, Chris Hemsworth and Samuel L. Jackson; and in the ready-for-release action-comedy Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters.

? At 40, Renner is unattached, quoted by Details as saying, “I never dated, because I couldn’t afford to date,” since his work takes all his time and attention, something that he loves so much that, he added, “The sacrifices I made in personal relationships had the biggest effect on my life. Even now, any woman would take a No. 2 seat to my job.” According to Details, Renner’s longest relationship when he was in his 20s lasted for five and a half years. Marriage is not in his radar because he said he couldn’t see himself as a “solid provider.”

And did you know that Renner used to earn a living by renovating houses with actor Kristoffer Winters, the best friend he refers to as “my brother.” He would live in the house during construction even without electricity and indoor plumbing.
    Renner's got a lot of promising projects lined up.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More on Peter Andre

I guess I know him now. He's Mr. Ex-Katie Price.

Peter Andre is kung-fu fighting

Peter Andre wants to end 2012 with a black belt in kung-fu.

The 38-year-old has been taking lessons in the martial arts sport with his six-year-old son, Junior, and wants to become a master.

'Now the kids are back at school, they're back into having Greek lessons, and me and Junior have been having some more kung-fu lessons,' revealed the star in his column for new! magazine. 'We've got a private tutor who comes round to the house - it's brilliant!

'I'm hoping to be a black belt by this time next year and Junior wants to reach the child's equivalent. We are not to be messed with!'

Andre also has a four-year-old daughter Princess Tiaamii with ex-wife Katie Price.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips