Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebrities studying martial arts?

on that note, who would u guys say IS the best fighter in movies today? I'm betting jet li would kick all their as$es

jet li is a superb athlete

but movie stars are movie stars acting in a fantasy world, not fighters. So my answer would be, none of them can kick ass.

In the movies? Well, I'll have to say that it's Jet Li.
    "Extra inch, extra power." -Tarm Sarm

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    I recently saw a Comedy Central show with the guy from
    "King of Queens''. Big guy, don't know his name as I don't
    watch a lot of network tv.

anyway, during the skit he went into a horse stance as part of
    the gag. imo it was a practiced horse and not just mimicry.

and at the end of the show he saluted the crowd with the
    traditional open hand over the fist salute, again imo, practiced
    not mimicry.

Anyone got any knowledge of this actor and his training?
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

kathy

right, Kevin James, I knew it was two first names

anyway, it is purely my opinion that the horse stance was
    one he had at least trained a little. there was an fluidness
    to how he dropped into it and stepped out of it.

there's probably a lot of actors/actresses that maybe train a bit
    but we never hear of it because they aren't actions stars.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

Wes' moves in Blade and Blade 2 looked good, but awfully "Hollywood." He looked more like a real fighter in The Art of War which I admit was a less good film than the vampwacking ones.

Am I the only one that knows of celebs that aren't actors or rockers who train ma? Let me throw out a few more.

Miles Davis boxed.
    Rakaa from Dilated Peoples talks a lot about BJJ moves in his rhymes, and is shown wearing a gi in the booklet for "Expansion Team" so I think he rolls for fun.
    Teddy Roosevelt was a wrestler.
    P.E.A.C.E. from Freestyle Fellowship has claimed in his rhymes to be a two-time black belt, but no art mentioned.
    And once in high school a guy told me that Bob Barker (from The Price is Right) could punch through your ribcage, pull out your heart and show it to you right before you died. He may have been mistaken, though.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

oh yeah, John Cusack (my favorite actor at that)

Grosse Point Blank had some decent fight scenes.

good movie overall, as well.

and didn't Bob Barker cold **** someone in Happy Gilmore ?

Since I wouldn't watch an adam sandler movie if you put fishhooks in my balzac and dragged me there, I have no idea.

The Bob Barker rumor I heard was decades ago, though. Mid eighties.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Ed O'Neil and Guy Ritchie both study BJJ. The guys from Tool do as well.
    Adam Stanecki - Practitioner of common sense.

"Think for yourself. Question authority." - Timothy Leary

Fluid Fitness - www.fluidfitness.com.au
    Dominance Mixed Martial Arts - www.dominance.com.au

Re: jet li is a superb athlete

Originally posted by carly
    but movie stars are movie stars acting in a fantasy world, not fighters. So my answer would be, none of them can kick ass.
    that depends on the actor. many of them were training ma before they started, and some, like don wilson had an awesome ring career. I wouldn't dispute chuck norris' ability either.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by Oso
    oh yeah, John Cusack (my favorite actor at that)

"Say Anything" was great, wasn't it?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by ricksitterly
    on that note, who would u guys say IS the best fighter in movies today? I'm betting jet li would kick all their as$es
    wes snipes.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

"you ain't got enough calcium to have a bone to pick wit me,
    like a Gracie, I'll choke a ***** out wit his own gi" - Rass Kass

Dunno if he trains, I just love that line

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Q-Tip, formerly of 'A Tribe Called Quest' boxes.

I'd venture to say that some of the Wu members have trained in something. I heard some rumors that Method Man does.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

sevenstar

'say anything' is ok.

There's a good fight scene between Cusack and Benny the jet
    in Grosse Point Blank thats pretty good and only slightly bs.