Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebrities studying martial arts?

Emma Watson

emmawatson
    Follow

Ready for anything after @SheFighter training with Lina Khalifeh. She opened the first self defence studio for women in the Middle East. I’ll be chatting with her and 8 other activists about challenging gender stereotypes at @OneYoungWorld Ottawa later today.
    1,897,772 likes
    23w
    emmawatsonReady for anything after @SheFighter training with Lina Khalifeh. She opened the first self defence studio for women in the Middle East. I’ll be chatting with her and 8 other activists about challenging gender stereotypes at @OneYoungWorld Ottawa later today.
    Making martial arts a political statement...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Amber Heard training wushu (with a Katana?)

Name:  AmberHeard.jpg
Views: 773
Size:  90.3 KB

apparently she's training with Li Jing

Name:  LiJing.JPG
Views: 742
Size:  98.1 KB

in prep for her role in JUSTICE LEAGUE?

Farid Dordar

We need more martial arts billionaires.

APR 4, 2017 @ 07:38 AM 185 The Little Black Book of Billionaire Secrets
    How Farid Dordar Went From World Martial Arts Champion To Tech Entrepreneur
    Bruce Rogers , FORBES STAFF
    I'm Forbes' Chief Insights Officer & write about thought leadership.

Farid Dordar, Founder and CEO, PerfectMind Photo Courtesy of PerfectMind

A Series of Forbes Insights Profiles of Thought Leaders Changing the Business Landscape: Farid Dordar, Founder and CEO, PerfectMind

PerfectMind is a Vancouver-based, rapidly growing SaaS platform for building and managing membership-based businesses. But it's also a success story: a martial arts World Champion, born and raised in Tehran, Iran, left his country, his family and friends with nothing but a suitcase and medals, taught himself how to code while channeling his passion for sports to become a business leader and thriving tech entrepreneur.

Meet Farid Dordar, founder and CEO of PerfectMind.

"I have always had three passions: sports, computers and business. When I was a child, I loved martial arts; I started training at the age of 12. At 17, I became a member of the Karate National Team in Iran,” says Dordar.

After successfully traveling and competing around the world, Dordar opened a martial arts studio in Vancouver. “My school became one of the largest schools in Canada, with over 700 active students," he notes. But Dordar hated the way his gym managed monthly memberships, so much so that he was inspired to learn how to code – from a magazine. He ultimately built one of the only CRM cloud software companies in the world that works strictly with community membership management.

PerfectMind now powers everything from cities, municipalities and Olympic facilities to gyms, yoga studios and, of course, martial arts facilities.

Today, the company has over 150 employees and serves parks and recreation centers and school boards in addition to sports and activity membership businesses. "Our software has grown to be a single, code-based product that has the ability to serve multiple verticals with many different sizes,” says Dordar. “We are very proud of PerfectMind because it took an immense amount of hard work to get where we are today.”

The company has always grown organically, according to Dordar. “We have not raised a dollar, a penny so far. Everything has been self-funded, organic growth."

PerfectMind's growth is attributed to its ease of use. While the bones of the software are complex in functionality, the interface is extremely easy for customers to use with little-to-no training.

One unique feature of the automation methodology is the software’s ability to predictively notify coaches and instructors when a member is about to cancel their membership. In some instances, the instructor could be notified up to three months in advance, giving the proprietor an opportunity to explore retention options for that member.

PerfectMind is also customizable for different verticals using custom fields, page layouts and workflows. Dordar built this platform intentionally to serve not only martial arts businesses, but many other membership-based industries, as well.

The company found their stride roughly three years ago and has been growing at a rapid rate ever since, adding 50 employees over the last year and moving to a new facility that doubles their workspace. In the last few months, they have signed over $20 million worth of new contracts, according to Dordar.

"We're very aggressive with our approaches. We believe that you can be innovative in all areas of your business; whether it's marketing, sales, product development or product implementation. You don't have to follow everyone else,” says Dordar. “We are also very process-oriented, and we want to make sure we're efficient. Many companies our size are usually taken over or they get huge investors to intervene. I prefer to believe that PerfectMind is one of the only companies in our space with 150 employees that hasn’t had to do this."

PerfectMind owes some of its success to the company culture Dordar has created, stemming from his martial arts passion and discipline: focus on hard work, rise when you fall and never relinquish. This company culture also translates into their customer service and is one of their key differentiators. "Customers love our products and they keep coming back due to their overall experience," says Dordar.

What’s next for PerfectMind?

"I've always focused to become my best, to become a world champion and a CEO and to help the world become more active,” says Dordar. “Our goal is to assist the local instructors and coaches to help kids and adults be better at what they do. Our goal is to make a positive impact on the world and strive to reach $100 million in sales by 2021.”

Who would bet against him?

Bruce H. Rogers is the co-author of the recently published book Profitable Brilliance: How Professional Service Firms Become Thought Leaders
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Cara Delevingne

Cara Delevingne Shows Off New Martial Arts Moves for 'Life in a Year' Movie
    by Desiree Murphy 4:20 PM PDT, April 15, 2017

Cara Delevingne is one badass babe!

The 24-year-old model took to Instagram on Friday to share a video of herself karate chopping a piece of wood.

The blond beauty was in full beast mode, rocking a pair of high-waisted PUMA gym shorts, a black sports bra and her new pixie cut.

"Thank you so much @martialsmarts.toronto for showing me how to protect myself @puma #doyou," she captioned it.

caradelevingne
    Follow
    Click video for sound
    Video

2d
    caradelevingneThank you so much @martialsmarts.toronto for showing me how to protect myself @puma #doyou
    Her newly acquired skills are all for her role in the upcoming drama, Life in a Year, which also stars Jaden Smith and Terrence Howard, and tells the story of a 17-year-old boy who learns that his girlfriend is dying. The video was posted just a few hours after Delevingne debuted her shorter 'do, which is also for the film.
    Gotta confess - I don't know who Cara Delevingne is. But she's good enough for ET, so that's good enough for this ol' thread.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Gal Gadot

A dated interview, but surely one not to be overlooked here. I cross checked the original 2015 Inquisitor interview online that is cited as the primary source, but there was no mention of Kung Fu there.

Gal Gadot Worked On Jiu-Jitsu and Other Martial Arts To Portray Wonder Woman
    Apr 17, 2017Iva Djokovic

Wonder woman movie is set to be released June 2nd 2017. But with it come several surprises, Gadot as a part of the DC Comics universe had the pleasure to star alongside several famous fans of bjj so it’s no surprise she opted for some bjj classes when she was cast as the bad a*s hero of female empowerment.

“I work out a lot now with Wonder Woman [Gadot is playing the superhero in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, out in 2016]. I can’t say too much about my training regime but we do work out a lot—we do a lot of different martial arts. But in my ordinary life when I don’t work, I like to paddle board and do TRX.” Gadot told inquisitor.

Gadot later added:
    “It’s the physical preparations that I’m starting now. A very serious training regimen – Kung Fu, kickboxing, swords, jujutsu, Brazilian…1,000 and 1 things…I’ll gain body mass…Wonder Woman is amazonian, and historically accurate Amazonian women actually had only one breast. So, if I’d really go ‘by the book’…it’d be problematic.”.”

Of course Gadot is no stranger to martial arts – she spent two years in the Israel Defense Forces.
    “My mom is a gymnastics teacher. So growing up I was never sitting watching TV in the afternoons. I always played ball outside in the backyard. I was a dancer for 12 years. I did tennis, basketball, volleyball, dodgeball, you name it,” she said. “[In the IDF] I was a gym trainer on one of the bases in Israel. So my boot camp was longer than other boot camps. It was four months and all about sports, waking up at 6:30 a.m. and going for a run, doing push-ups…”

Gadot was also friends with the late Paul Walker thanks to her role in Fast and Furious 6 – Walker was one of the biggest ambassadors of jiu-jitsu prior to his tragic passing.

Gal is not just credited with smashing beauty, she also possess immense inner strength. Her background of being a part of Israeli Military shows that she is a real tough woman. Not being alien to vigorous workouts, Gal shares that one of the reasons why she has been chosen for the role is her insight about the use of diverse weapons. The smashing beauty who is all resolved to give her hundred percent to the role is embracing really intense workouts such as kickboxing, martial arts, kung fu, sword fighting, Jiu-Jitsu etc.

Growing up “very Jewish” in suburban Tel Aviv, the teenaged Gadot was tall, sporty and strong. “My mother was a PE teacher so I grew up playing volleyball, tennis, basketball … I was a high jumper,” she says. “I was very, very active. I danced for 12 years – ballet, hip-hop and jazz – I thought I might be a choreographer. I never planned on being an actress. Life just happened that way.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Dan Schulman

Good for Krav! Santa Clara is close to KFTC headquarters but a lot of web CEO/celebs are here.

WHAT'S YOUR WORKOUT
    A CEO’s Straight Line From Martial Arts to Leadership
    PayPal chief executive Dan Schulman swears by Krav Maga, the intense Israeli self-defense practice
    PayPal CEO Dan Schulman undertakes a Krav Maga self-defense workout with his coach, Danny Zelig, right, owner of Tactica Krav Maga Institute, in Santa Clara, Calif. Mr. Schulman says the fight training has helped hone his leadership skills. JASON HENRY FOR THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
    By Jen Murphy
    June 3, 2017 7:00 a.m. ET

Most CEOs start their day strategizing bottom lines or growth strategies over email. Dan Schulman starts his day at the gym, figuring out how to disarm someone with a knife. He credits his daily Krav Maga (pronounced krahv mah-GAH) training with developing leadership skills he has put to use in roles at American Express , Virgin Mobile, Priceline, AT&T and in his current position as president and CEO of PayPal Holdings Inc. “They say leadership is defined in times of stress, and I think Krav Maga trains you for those moments,” he says.

Krav Maga teaches students attack moves that quickly neutralize a threat. Here, Mr. Schulman, right, drills a situation when an attacker catches a kick and tries for a takedown with Mr. Zelig. PHOTO: JASON HENRY FOR THE WALL STREET JOURNAL

Krav Maga, or “contact combat” in Hebrew, is a self-defense and fighting system that combines techniques from judo, boxing, wrestling and aikido. It was originally taught to the Israeli army. Today, the practice has been embraced by law-enforcement agencies, as well as gyms, where a faster-paced version has become an increasingly popular workout.

Mr. Schulman, 59, was introduced to the practice when he was 13 and visiting Israel. “I was living on a kibbutz and was put into youth military training,” he recalls. “I was a skinny little kid and it was incredibly intense, but also extraordinarily practical and useful in stressful situations involving conflict.”

In Krav Maga, all elements of the body—legs, knees, elbows, hands, feet—are used as tools to strike and defend. “People complain about having less resources, but having too many tools often starves you from being as creative as you might be,” Mr. Schulman says.

Mr. Schulman rediscovered Krav Maga after college and now practices daily. He splits his time with his wife between Silicon Valley and the New York City area. (The couple has two college-aged children.)

He trains at Tactica Krav Maga Institute in Santa Clara, Calif. At Gotham Gym in New York he boxes and slips in some Krav Maga kicks.

“Part of the Krav Maga philosophy is that the best way to win a fight is not to get into a fight. So we spend a lot of time figuring out how do you de-escalate situations and win through avoidance of conflict,” he says.

When conflict is unavoidable, Krav Maga teaches how to use everything at your disposal to neutralize a threat while remaining calm under pressure. “My teacher always says, ‘Standing still is asking to be hit.’ That’s a valuable lesson in business,” he says. “If you stand still as a business just because things are going well and you don’t challenge yourself, inevitably your competition catches up with you.”

Mr. Schulman gets an intense core workout by keeping steady on skateboards while he hits the heavy bags during a Krav Maga training session. PHOTO: JASON HENRY FOR THE WALL STREET JOURNAL

The Workout
    Mr. Schulman trains for a minimum of one hour daily during the week and up to three hours on Saturdays and Sundays. He warms up on the speed bag or heavy bag, sometimes challenging his core by balancing each foot on a skateboard, and will then do footwork drills, like various kicks, to loosen up. The next phase involves working on technique, like a particular combination of kicking and striking, or escaping from a headlock, followed by 15 to 20 minutes of sparring. He might have to disarm someone with a knife, stick or gun.

Once he’s worn out from sparring, he finishes the workout with a set of drills. He might bear-crawl around the perimeter of the room, stopping in each corner to perform push-ups, then reverse and go the opposite direction. “I might end up doing 150 push-ups in that exercise,” he says. “It requires incredible focus to get through it when your body is already at its limit.”

Mr. Schulman typically works one-on-one with a coach or sparring partner, but says it’s also important to train with groups. “You don’t want to get too used to one fighting style,” he says. “Often in fights, there are multiple attackers.”

Mr. Schulman does more work with Mr. Zelig. The fighting system was originally introduced to the Israeli army. A faster-paced, less-combative version has become a popular workout. PHOTO: JASON HENRY FOR THE WALL STREET JOURNAL

The Diet
    Mr. Schulman has half of a cup of coffee pre-workout. “That’s just enough to get the body going without having coffee sloshing around in my stomach during a workout,” he says. Post-workout he has yogurt and fruit. Lunch is light, usually a salad, and dinner is a protein, often steak or fish, with a vegetable or salad. Two to three times a week he must attend a work lunch or dinner. “I’ll have one or two sips of wine to be social, because people don’t want to drink alone,” he says.

The Gear & Cost
    Mr. Schulman likes the minimalism of Krav Maga. He spars barefoot. His uniform consists of Nike Pro Combat compression shorts, a T-shirt, a mouth guard and Revgear MMA gloves, which retail between $30 and $60. “If we’re really going at it, I wear shin guards,” he says. “I have scars on my legs from not wearing them.”

Mr. Schulman hits the heavy bags to improve his striking power. He says the workouts have helped him learn to think clearly under pressure. PHOTO: JASON HENRY FOR THE WALL STREET JOURNAL

THE KRAV MAGA MENTALITY

Krav Maga might look like something out of “Fight Club,” but proponents say the philosophy of the fighting system develops skills that translate to the office.

“Krav Maga training develops an individual’s ability to effectively deal with confrontation,” says Danny Zelig, founder of the Tactica Krav Maga Institute, based in San Francisco. “People learn to maintain confidence and mental function without shying away from conflict due to fear of confrontation.”

“Making decisions under stress boosts mental strength and teaches students to focus their efforts and energy on the most important, immediate needs,” he says. Krav Maga develops heightened negotiation and improvisation skills through situational awareness, he says.

“An individual learns to take cues from others during their attempts to de-escalate and negotiate with an aggressor during dangerous situations,” Mr. Zelig says. “A heightened sense of awareness allows leaders to understand their peers, co-workers and upper management and to be in tune and aware of their co-workers’ current mental states by the cues they give.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Phil Mickelson

Phil Mickelson once threatened to kick Johnny Miller's butt using kung fu
    By: Luke Kerr-Dineen | June 11, 2017 9:26 am

There are a lot of great golf stories being published right now, as the sport gears-up for its second major of the year, but this one about Phil Mickelson is among the best.

Golf Digest‘s Guy Yocom has known Phil Mickelson for the more than 25 years he’s been a professional golfer, and in his most recent piece, he uses it to tell some rather hilarious stories. There’s so much good stuff — trust us, it’s worth your time to read it — but this particular anecdote was my favorite.

“I could probably kick your butt,” Phil said. “I know karate and kung fu. I’m stronger than you.”

“I don’t know if you’re that strong,” Miller said. “You want to arm wrestle and see how strong you are?”

It continued…

In short order—Miller guesses it was one second—he slammed Phil’s arm to the table. Phil, stunned, asked for a do-over. Miller obliged, and in another second pinned Mickelson again.

He now demanded they switch hands. Miller won again, this time even more quickly, as if to make a point. “I still think I could kick your butt,” Phil fumed. “I know karate.”

The lesson? The next time you want to arm wrestle with Phil Mickelson, remember that he knows kung fu.

Okay, maybe not, but amusing nonetheless.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Tom Brady

Tom Chi! Tom Brady Practices Martial Arts in China
    BY DAVE QUINN•@NINEDAVES

POSTED ON JUNE 20, 2017 AT 9:14AM EDT

TOM BRADY/INSTAGRAM

Tom Brady may be one of the greatest quarterbacks in the history of the game, with five Super Bowl wins among his many accomplishments.

But the 39-year-old athlete doesn’t just stick to the pigskin.

During a visit to China, Brady took in what appeared to be the martial art of Tai Chi — posting a shot of his workout to Instagram.

“The sound of silence” he captioned the shot, tagging the Beats by Dre headphones he was wearing.

Known for its defense training and health benefits, Tai Chi is said to promote inner peace and alleviate stress and anxiety, and is often used as a form of meditation in motion.
    I'm going to launch a Celebrities studying Tai Chi? thread with this and back-copy anything I can find from our Celebrities studying martial arts? thread later.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Blanket Jackson gets his black belt

More on Blanket here & here.

BLANKET JACKSON
    I'M NOT A LITTLE KID ANYMORE AND I CAN KICK YOUR ASS!!!
    6/25/2017 7:11 AM PDT
    Blanket Jackson is Black Belt in Karate!!!

Michael Jackson's youngest son isn't a little kid any,ore ... and he's armed and dangerous.
    Blanket Jackson is now 15, and he's a black belt in Karate. He was leaving an L.A. martial arts studio Saturday strutting his stuff.
    FYI ... a black belt with a white stripe is the Master Black Belt designation in karate.
    It's pretty amazing ... a 3 of Michael's kids have emerged from the shadows found their path.
    Short story ... Blanket's still not old enough to drive, but he moves fast.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Aggro

Peter Berg, Liev Schreiber, Rihanna, Gina Rodriguez, Antoine Fuqua, David Duchovny, Mandy Moore, Eddie Huang, Ashton Kutcher, Charlie Hunnam, Joel Kinnaman, Tom Hiddleston, James Marsden, Armie Hammer, Lizzy Caplan. Scott Eastwood, Scott Caan, Anthony Bourdain, Demi Lovato & the Trump effect? Make Martial Arts Great Again!

Boxing and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu: How "Aggro" Workouts Became the Rage in Hollywood
    6:00 AM PDT 6/30/2017 by Peter Kiefer

Photographed by Adam Amengual
    The speed bag is part of Peter Berg's morning routine at his gym, Wild Card West. "For a certain type of individual, sparring is a very active form of meditation," says Berg, photo*graphed on June 5 in Santa Monica.

Box-office bombs? Pummel away mounting industry anxiety as everyone from Rihanna to Peter Berg moves from Pilates to punching and kicking. Says one martial arts trainer: "I've never been so booked in my life."
    Under the gaze of a caramel-mottled pit bull named Dempsey, Peter Berg is slugging his way — literally — through his morning ritual. After a warm-up of stretching and working the bags, the Patriot's Day director is sparring with Julian Chua, a former Golden Glove champion and taekwondo black belt. Chua works as a trainer at Berg's Wild Card West Boxing Club in Santa Monica, which counts some of the biggest names in Hollywood as regulars. Padded in protective gear, Berg, 53, ducks and crouches his way around the ring, throwing a pattern of jabs, hooks and crosses at the much younger Chua. It is a surprisingly friendly affair, considering that these two men are trying to make contact with each other's face.

It's been four years since Berg opened Wild Card West with the late Garry Shandling as his partner, and he currently finds himself with an enviable problem. After years of hemorrhaging money, the boxing gym is on a serious roll. "It's going great, it's going too great," Berg tells THR. "We don't have enough parking."

Despite Berg's best efforts to pay homage to old-school gyms and cultivate blue-collar authenticity (professional boxers use the facilities daily, as do firemen and LAPD officers), it's nearly impossible to ignore the role that local members like Liev Schreiber, Rihanna, Gina Rodriguez, director and CBS' Training Day executive producer Antoine Fuqua, David Duchovny, Mandy Moore and Viceland host Eddie Huang — to name but a few — have played in the popularity of his venture. And all across town, boxing gyms, Brazilian jiu-jitsu studios and classes in kickboxing and Krav Maga — the Israeli martial art — are likewise on the ascent. "I have never been so booked in my life. It's crazy," says Rigan Machado, who along with partner Martin Wheeler runs The Academy gym in Beverly Hills, where a variety of martial arts are taught. Machado, who is regarded as one of the top competitors in jiu-jitsu history, has built a reputation as the discipline's trainer to the stars. His clients include Ashton Kutcher, Charlie Hunnam and Joel Kinnaman.

Photographed by Adam Amengual
    Burns, photographed on June 5 at Wild Card West, gets the stress out.

Courtesy of Prevail Boxing
    A row of punching bags at Prevail Boxing.

Hollywood's love affair with the "aggro" workout spans studio executives, actors, directors and writers who are leaving the therapist's couch for the ring to work out stress, angst and ennui brought on by everything from stagnant movie theater attendance and dwindling cable subscriptions to POTUS' Twitter feed. If you listen closely enough along the Wilshire Corridor, you might hear the rhythmic pounding of fists and feet on punching bags from Echo Park to Pacific Palisades.

"Hollywood is a very stressed-out community, and we like to get out our aggression," says Ilaria Urbinati, No. 6 on THR's 2017 Power Stylists list, who has been working out daily at Hollywood's Fortune Gym since she picked up boxing a year ago. Urbinati says she has turned a number of her clients — including Tom Hiddleston, James Marsden, Armie Hammer and Lizzy Caplan — on to the sport. "This is a very stressful time for sure," she says, "and boxing is my therapy, 100 percent." Machado concurs: "The style of Brazilian jiu-jitsu gives these people an opportunity to train in a safe environment and to relax," he says, adding that he and his partners are considering opening more locations in the coming years. "Learning how to punch," notes Berg, "is incredibly relaxing and focusing. When someone is throwing a punch and trying to make contact with your face, you are very much in the moment."

Courtesy of @HEREISGINA/INSTAGRAM
    Rodriguez is a devotee of Wild Card West Boxing Club.

Courtesy of @SCOTTEASTWOOD/INSTAGRAM

In April, Eastwood Instagrammed a selfie with jiu*jitsu instructor Nelson Monteiro at Gracie Barra in Encinitas, California.
    Browse social media and you'll find any number of actors broadcasting their martial art bona fides. Scott Eastwood, Scott Caan and Kutcher are all avid jiu-jitsu devotees. Anthony Bourdain is an aco*lyte of the martial art's royal family, the Gracies, and has the competitive medals to prove it. Meanwhile, Demi Lovato's Instagram account reveals a pop star who moonlights as a Muay Thai whirling dervish.

It's hard to pinpoint exactly when the aggro workout first took hold. Some say the seeds were planted in the late '80s by former CAA partner Michael Ovitz, who injected a warrior ethos into the business. Ovitz, a longtime martial arts enthusiast who famously relied on Sun Tzu's The Art of War to maneuver his way through deals, trained with Steven Seagal before helping to launch the actor's film career.

Courtesy of @ANTHONYBOURDAIN/INSTAGRAM
    Bourdain referenced a black*belt jiu*jitsu champ on his Instagram: "The great Lucas Lepri cuts through my reverse guard like a knife through soft cheese."

Then came the explosive growth of mixed martial arts in the early 2000s and the emergence of a new breed of battle-ready star — witness MMA actress Ronda Rousey; Anderson Silva, former Ultimate Fighting Championship's middleweight titleholder; and Irish boxer-UFC lightweight champ Conor McGregor. WME/IMG's $4 billion acquisition of UFC in 2016 not only further legitimized that sport but also brought it into the Hollywood fold. (Co-CEO Ari Emanuel's teenage son Leo is already making a name for himself as an up-and-coming MMA talent.)

Can the "Trump effect" really be credited with propelling high-impact-style workouts into the stratosphere? Anxiety and stress in the United States is indeed reaching record levels, according to the American Psychological Association. A report issued in January by the APA indicated "a statistically significant increase in stress for the first time since the survey was first conducted in 2007." The report noted that much of that had to do with the country's highly charged political climate.

Courtesy of @DDLOVATO/INSTAGRAM
    Lovato practices Muay Thai, jiu*jitsu and boxing.

But left-leaning wound licking is but one of multiple sources of stress pushing Hollywood through gym doors. Other existential threats to studios, networks and the industry's creative class include conquistadorial digital platforms and mobile technology. Tack on the recently thwarted writers strike, and there is plenty of angst to go around. "The strike was a big scary moment for all of us, and there were people who got that [stress] out here" at Wild Card West Boxing Club, says screenwriter Scott Burns, whose credits include Contagion and The Bourne Identity.

Burns came on as an investor with Berg several years ago and since then has seen how the sport helps him in his work. "[Writing is] a very solitary activity, and the fact that boxing is not a team sport is important. It is you and an adversary. A lot of days writing is like that, and I am sure that it is like that for actors as well. You are battling a lot of different demons," he says. "That kind of struggle resonates for people. I know it does for me."

As for Berg, who learned to box as a kid at a summer camp where the counselors organized Fight Club-like bouts for campers, the director-writer-producer-actor isn't deeply sympathetic toward Hollywood types wringing their hands about the state of the world. "We can't flatter ourselves and think that we have a monopoly on anxiety, frustration and stress just because we are in the entertainment business," he says. "Everyone has anxiety, frustration and stress. I have cops come in here all the time. Try being a cop right now."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Wiz Khalifa

Tempted to split off an indie Aggro thread based on the article above for the MMA sub forum. Maybe some future day...

WIZ KHALIFA
    I PACK PUNCHES LIKE I PACK BOWLS
    Intense MMA Training!!

7/24/2017 10:23 AM PDT
    Wiz Khalifa's Getting Serious About MMA Training
    EXCLUSIVE
    Wiz Khalifa's next big show could be in the Octagon because the superstar rapper -- who's known as a smoker, not a fighter -- has been busting his ass doing MMA training.
    TMZ Sports got this video of Wiz hitting the mitts with FOX's Jay Glazer, and working on his kicks with UFC star Cat Zingano. Pretty clear from the video ... he's taking it seriously, and we hear he's been at it like this for about 3 months at Unbreakable Gym on Sunset.
    What's most impressive about this workout sesh is Wiz was on vacay! He was in Napa for a wine tasting trip -- with his gf, Izabela Guedes, Michael Strahan and Glazer -- but brought his gear to do some training ... in between sipping cabs and zins.

Wine tasting and MMA? Just when ya think ya know a guy.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Maynard James Keenan

No pic but there's a vid behind the link.

Watch Maynard James Keenan Spar, Talk Love of Martial Arts
    Musician ties Brazilian jiu-jitsu training to artistic endeavors

Maynard James Keenan spars and discusses his love of Brazilian jiu-jitsu in "The Art of Work."
    By Jon Blistein
    6 days ago

Tool's Maynard James Keenan discusses the intricacies of Brazilian jiu-jitsu and his lifelong attachment to martial arts in the final installment of Revolver's four-part video series with the musician, "The Art of Work."

While Keenan spent previous episodes discussing his vineyard, "The Fight" offers a look at his martial arts training regimen. Keenan credits Primus drummer Tim Alexander with introducing him to Brazilian jiu-jitsu, though he also recalls the lessons he learned from his father, who doubled as his high school wrestling coach. "His take was always, 'You either win or you learn,'" Keenan said.

For Keenan, martial arts is as much about "personal growth and personal understanding and reflection" as it is about self-defense. "Maybe it'll never happen, but if you're in a situation where you have some drunken, blithering idiot, or somebody's crazy — I do it for that purpose," he said. Still, Keenan seemed most enamored with the mental and physical intricacies of top-level jiu-jitsu.

"The chess part of it, on the mat, in the gi, is very mentally stimulating," Keenan said. "If you watch some of the top-level black belt guys competing, it's half-inches. They're making adjustments that are half-inches and you're watching them try to out-chess each other, like six moves ahead to shut off where the guy's heading for the checkmate."

Towards the end of the clip, Keenan tied his jiu-jitsu training to the notion of becoming complacent and overly confident as an artist after reaching a certain level of success. He urged anyone pursuing a craft to do so with a combination of intuition, experience and constant hard work, but also cautioned: "Understand that you are on your ****ing own."

Keenan added, "Big fan of Chris Cornell – did you think about Chris Cornell this week? I didn't. I love the guy. Alan Rickman, David Bowie, there's a bunch of posts on Facebook and then you go about your way. That's what's gonna happen to you. People are gonna be upset that you're gone, and then they're gonna move the **** on with their lives. So be happy with what your decisions are. You are on your own, you don't owe anybody anything – but if you're doing your job and you're doing it accurately enough, and you're expressing from the heart, from the core, from your experiences and your intuition, other people are going to resonate with that."

Here's a celebrity from the music world.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Danielle Vasinova

Danielle Vasinova

Danielle Vasinova is a high-spirited actress of Czech, & Cherokee decent known for her colorful action-adventure roles. She was inspired to follow in the footsteps of her grandmother, who was an actress and singer in Prague. She began her modeling career at the age of 14 when a talent scout approached her at a local mall when she was performing in a cheerleading competition for the Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA). She was quickly signed to an agency in New York where she modeled for the next 5 years before beginning her acting career. She is now starring in the action/thriller Red Dead, from the makers of the popular sci-fi television series Z Nation. In this Grimm's Fairy Tale meets The Undead story, she plays Denise Knox, the Sheriff's wife. She also stars in the animated action-adventure Shinjuku, from the director of Aeon Flux - playing an international bounty hunter on a mission to rescue her brother, and she's the mysterious Detective Stone in director Joss Gomez's upcoming science fiction/adventure film Among Us Because of her comfort with action roles, Vasinova is also intimately involved as the title star of the video game Belle's War, based on the popular comic book 13 Chambers from Image Comics. Referring to her character as the "wonder woman of the west," the game chronicles Belle's search for the thirteen magical pistols that once belonged to a secret group of U.S. marshals commanded by the late President Abraham Lincoln. It is also currently in development as both a television series and a motion picture. She previously starred in the indie thriller To Hell With A Bullet, written and directed by Vick Wright. She has also appeared in the features Born To Be A Star, from Columbia Pictures, starring Nick Swardson and Christina Ricci, and Should've Been Romeo directed by Marc Bennett, starring Paul Ben-Victor, Ed Asner and Carol Kane. Her other credits include guest- starring roles on numerous series including the critically-acclaimed show Dexter followed by Rules of Engagement, The Philanthropist, It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, Nip Tuck, That 70's Show, Friends, The Practice, Hostage Do or Die for The Discovery Channel, and The Young And The Restless. She also appeared in the F/X telefilm Alabama, and starred in the award-winning short White Trash Noir at The Action Film Festival. Vasinova holds a Bachelors Degree in Communication Sciences from the University of Connecticut, and later studied drama with Robert Carnegie of Playhouse West, Margie Haber and Ivana Chubbuck . When she isn't in front of the camera, Vasinova is an avid equestrian - specializing in hunter/jumper, dressage, and western. She also studies the martial arts form Wushu, loves to drum, and is well trained in swordplay, gun work, and motorcycle riding.
    Can't say I recognize her, but I'm a fan of It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Slightly OT

But it's Angie. And it's sweet. Sugar skull sweet.

NOVEMBER 09, 2017 10:30am PT by Chris Gardner
    Angelina Jolie Brought Treats for Her Daughter's Martial Arts Class

David Crotty/Patrick McMullan via Getty Images

The Oscar winner shocked fellow parents at Shaolin American Self Defense Academy when she showed up with daughter Vivienne Jolie Pitt.
    She may not be a typical soccer mom, but Angelina Jolie appeared a fully engaged karate mother during a recent class in North Hollywood.

The Oscar winner surprised parents at Shaolin American Self Defense Academy when she showed up with daughter Vivienne Jolie Pitt, 9, and Day of the Dead-decorated cookies from Porto's Bakery for the dozen or so kids.

According to a parent with a child in the class, "Every time Vivienne did a move, Angelina made sure to watch and smile at her — it was sweet."

The source added that Jolie kept busy in the class reading a script, and it must've been top secret because it had her name printed on each page. It's a precaution taken by producers to prevent leaks. It was recently reported that Jolie will voice star in The One and Only Ivan, a Disney film based on the Newbery Medal-winning book written by Katherine Applegate and illustrated by Patricia Castelao. As a director, the Oscar winner was honored along with Luong Ung at the Nov. 5 Hollywood Film Awards with the Hollywood Foreign Language Film Award for their Netflix film First They Killed My Father.

One of Jolie's Day of the Dead cookies.
    Angie sets a high bar for a Karate Mom.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Meghan Markle

Meghan Markle Will Be Taught Self Defense as She Gets Ready to Join Royal Family, Source Says
    By Elisa Osegueda* 10:00 AM PST, December 6, 2017

Meghan Markle is getting ready for her big royal wedding to Prince Harry.

The former Suits star might be busy with formal preparations for her big day, but she’s also taking time for herself.

ET has exclusively learned that Markle is seeking a professional martial arts trainer to teach her the basics of self-protection.
    “Meghan will be trained in many different [areas], including what public places she should avoid, what she should do if she was ever approached and attacked in public and how to release herself from a situation like that,” a source tells ET, noting that the 36-year-old actress will travel with royal protection at all times.

According to the source, Markle has also consulted with one of the U.K.’s best known personal trainers “to get her in the best shape before the wedding in May.”

Meanwhile, the palace tells ET that Markle intends to travel for the next couple of months, visiting her family and friends before she settles into her new life at Kensington Palace.

Markle and Prince Harry will tie the knot in May 2018 at St. George's Chapel. For more on the happy couple, watch the video below.
    There's an embedded video on this ET article, but this didn't feel right without a pic, so I'm adding one from the Hollywood Life article that led me to the the ET source report.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips