Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebrities studying martial arts?

What does Jay-Z train?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Ya know, if Stranger is going to bring up Oleg Taktarov, I better mention Benny Urquidez' amazing string of hits in "Wheels on Meals" "Dragons Forever" "Grosse Point Blank" and above all else, the amazing, colossal, incredible, jeepers what an irredeemable stinkbomb "Bloodmatch."

The Jet vs. the Bear in their prime, though? That'd be worth watching!
    Last edited by Chang Style Novice; 02-10-2003 at 01:51 PM.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Wink

The winner in the swedish edition of "Survivor", Antoni Matacz, is a blackbelt in Kyokushin. Bet you yanks didn't know that!

I don't know in what specifiaclly Jay-Z trains in, I'm pretty sure it's a Japanese style, I think maybe some form Karate.

Celebrities studying martial arts?

Just curious is anyone studies. I know Sofia Milos (CSI) mentioned kickboxing. Lucy Liu supposedly studied Arnis once, Kelly Hu - maybe Kenpo.....

keanu reeves and fishburne said they would continue to study after the matrix

Sorry, drawing a blank, and that's all i can think of.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

Just the thread for this...

... I was going to post this on my thong fu thread, but it got eaten by the forum move. Maybe I'll have to repost that.
    Lady Jane Percy tells of martial arts passion
    Mar 29 2009 Sunday Sun

“I’D really love to swing a punch and knock someone clean out.”

They are words you probably never thought The Duchess of Northumberland would utter.

But just like her high-class, high-kicking computer games counterpart Lady Lara Croft, the North’s own Lady Jane Percy has revealed her love of the martial arts.

The duchess, whose family has a £300m fortune, is not only a kickboxer, but is also learning the Filipino double- stick art of Kali, which uses two rattan canes to subdue an aggressor.

And, not only might Lady Percy attain a coveted black belt herself, she is urging school pupils across the North to do likewise.

She said: “I really enjoy kickboxing because it’s a great way to relieve stress and keep fit.

“What I hate about ordinary exercise is that I’m always watching the clock. But if I’m doing kickboxing or using the sticks you have to really concentrate or you get hit.

“But I also just enjoy it for its own sake. I’d really love to swing a punch and knock someone clean out!”

The duchess, 50, said that kickboxing helps her switch off from the pressure of running The Alnwick Garden, her family estates and her own family as well.

As a martial artist, the duchess believes, like in Japan, more schools should take it up because it teaches positive life lessons, promotes fitness and teaches discipline.

She added: “If I say I’m going to do something then I’ll try my hardest to succeed because I’m quite a determined person.

“When I was younger — aged between eight and 13-years — I was an ice-skater. I trained every day I could for up to five hours.

“We now have a whole generation of youngsters that need to exercise more and martial arts not only provides exercise, it also gives youngsters discipline and is really good fun.

“Although there will be some who disagree, I think children need to understand that they can win, but won’t always win.

“Martial arts are a good way to teach this lesson.”

She is so keen on promoting martial arts in the region, the duchess is holding a cage- fighting contest at Alnwick Gardens.

She said: “I want the garden to be used by the unusual as well as the expected and when the fight night came up in conversation during training I suggested it as a venue to my instructor Darren Currah.

“We have a new oriental garden opening soon that is full of Japanese Great White Cherry Trees.

“Cherry blossom is a revered martial arts symbol so it all fitted together.

“We were looking for things to do with the Orient and the martial arts theme was just perfect for the orchard’s opening.”

The Martial News- sponsored cage fight, called Battle amongst the Blossom, is being held at The Alnwick Gardens on April 24 and features shoot grappling, kickboxing and mixed martial arts, otherwise known as MMA.

It is being organised by Alnwick-based DFM Martial Arts, the duchess’s martial arts club. The club’s team are known on the circuit as the DFM Reivers.

MMA contests pit martial artists from many different systems against each other.

Along with her martial arts classes, the duchess also finds time to write eight pages every six weeks for the glossy Japanese lifestyle magazine Bises.

She said: “I write about my life as the duchess in a real castle and, of course, my garden as well as selling the North as being a great place to visit.

“We get lots of bus loads of Japanese coming to Alnwick now so what I write in English must translate OK into Japanese.

“The magazine loves the idea of the castle and they have just invited me to go out to Tokyo and Kyoto to talk about our region.

“It has been 30 years since I last went to Japan so I am really looking forward to going.”

Tickets for the Battle amongst the Blossom MMA and Kickboxing Fight Night are available from 07967- 724064, or from Sports World and Atmosphere shops in Alnwick.

The Duchess is a member of the DFM Martial Arts schools.

To find out more about DFM classes go to www.dfmmartialarts.co.uk or www.geocities.com/directional fighting
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Vladimir Putin - Judo BB.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Robert Downey Jr - Wing Chun.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    Vladimir Putin - Judo BB.
    putin is a former head of state dont think he counts as a celeb.

I was asking a friend of mine who runs a school in LA if he would give private lessons to a celebrity. He said he didn't give private lessons....Hell if I was qualified I would give private lessons as long as you have the brass!

Anyway I'm sure every other celebrity in Hollywood has taken MA at one time or the other. However, just like it is in real life, very few take it serious.

Ed O'Neill - BJJ.

The guy who played The Highlander in the TV show did CLF and Hung Gar.

Wesley Snipes; I don't know what style(s). Kinda looks like kenpo, but he probably did a number if different things.

Louis Mandalor from Martial Law and other roles trains M.A.

I read that Sarah Michelle Gellar does TKD.

Jennifer Garner trains, or trained, TKD under Byong Yu.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 04-03-2009 at 03:59 PM.

There's actually a lot here already - just needs a little link fu...

Putin is totally a celeb. Politicians are celebs.

Milla Jojovich says she trains. See our Ultraviolet thread - I posted both on her and on Adrian Paul (the Highlander dude) on page 2.

I suppose all our sword hotties train, at least for a little bit, but that counts. We'll give the sword hotties a break.

And there's a ton of Bollywood Babes who train...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

my teacher was at shi yan mings in the mid to late 90's and wesley snipes and rosie perez were "celebs" who would train there when he was there.

wesley was all business my sifu said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolinlueb View Post
    my teacher was at shi yan mings in the mid to late 90's and wesley snipes and rosie perez were "celebs" who would train there when he was there.

wesley was all business my sifu said.
    Maybe so but I have a feeling that if your sifu wants to train with Welsey again he might have to go to Africa to do it.

Snipes is leaving this week to start a film in Namibia and I have a feeling, with Welsey looking at three years of prison in the United States, that he won't be returning anytime soon!