Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: the boxers weave

I spar with Mutant Warrior frequently and his footwork is terrible. He is awkward, off balance, seemingly clumsy. I tried to make him more standard in his movements to no avail. But you know what, he hits me all the time. I have to pay more attention fighting him then anyone else. He is so effective that I stopped trying to “fix” his stance but instead just worked on his power. Sometimes if it’s broke it see if it still works.

Ali was amazing at dropping his root at the moment of impact. It is a balance, no root no power, all root no speed. The real point of this thread is for people to recognize that everything has a good and bad. If you think you know it all and you style is the best then someone who adapts will smoke you. We change our skills all the time as the sport evolves. We also encourage new students to show us things they think may work and talk about the good and the bad of the new move. Locking to one scheme is a great way to have others pass you.

Peace,
    SSG
    "Information is power"

www.Boston-Kickboxing.com

Quote Originally Posted by SanShou Guru
    I spar with Mutant Warrior frequently and his footwork is terrible. He is awkward, off balance, seemingly clumsy. I tried to make him more standard in his movements to no avail. But you know what, he hits me all the time. I have to pay more attention fighting him then anyone else. He is so effective that I stopped trying to “fix” his stance but instead just worked on his power. Sometimes if it’s broke it see if it still works.

Ali was amazing at dropping his root at the moment of impact. It is a balance, no root no power, all root no speed. The real point of this thread is for people to recognize that everything has a good and bad. If you think you know it all and you style is the best then someone who adapts will smoke you. We change our skills all the time as the sport evolves. We also encourage new students to show us things they think may work and talk about the good and the bad of the new move. Locking to one scheme is a great way to have others pass you.

Peace,
    SSG
    Well I got schooled today by a Jeet Kune Do guy ... extremely fast, non-telegraphing movements. I couldn't keep up with him at all.

But they fight on their tippie toes with their center of gravity really high and forward. But fast as hell. I don't really know what to make of it.

The only problem is none of his students seem to be even 1/2 as good as he is -- they just flail around. Kindof sad that he's so good but you'd never get that way in his class.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat
    1) 'Wait'. DON'T WAIT for a boxer. Dictate the pace, take his space.

2) 'Parry their punches'. Personally I don't believe with any good fast puncher in any system that you will 'parry'/deflect/block more than one of their punches most of the time. Some very talented individuals I've seen can: I'm not one of them after 18 years of training. Usually you get one chance: eg block then strike back / slip and counterpunch / parry then straight... etc. If you try you'll be chasing arms and eating knuckle sandwiches. Plus again, you'll be reacting rather than being proactive.

3) 'Just floor them with a straight punch to the face'. Daym, that's simple. If only all other boxers knew that, then maybe more than 50% of boxers would win their matches... If I'd thought of that when I was a younger man, I could have been a champion!

4) 'if you don't want to break their nose use a hook punch': again the theory being that you can pick and choose. IME it usually goes usually too fast. Plus I want to be working my reflex actions not having to think about what to use. Maybe I'm punchy but my thinking's just too slow for most fights!
    Let's put it this way. Like I already said, the first time I fought a boxer, I got my a** handed to me. He hit me like 5 times before I could do anything at all.

The second time I tried doing footwork, but still got hit. I was like, "WTF???" What am I doing wrong.

So the third time, in desperation, I went toe to toe with him, punching, blocking, etc. I couldn't get a shot off. So finally in desperation (basically freaking out) I used those inward parries, and then nailed him (by accident) straight in the nose, which broke it, and I got in a lot of trouble.

So I didn't spar with any boxers for a while. Then, after a year or so, I went up against another one at another school, same thing, same result, in desperation used the parries, broke the nose, in big trouble again.

So then I practiced hooking, instead of straight punching, and then a few years later at another school when I had to fight a boxer, I got him with a hook instead of the nose ... finally ... didn't get into trouble.

Anyways, this is neither here nor there. For I got my a** handed to me tonight by a JKD guy, who moves faster than anybody else I've ever met.

Dave's list of hella boxers:

Muhammed Ali.

Larry Holmes.

Ernie Shavers

Ken Norton

Joe Frazier

I knwo that those guys are from another era, but the only skippy one in all of em was Ali.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Yum Cha
    I've been told to watch that new movie with Viggo Mortessen (sp?) (Aragorn from LOTR) about extreme violence, or something like that, because it features real, practical, kill the "MF" quickly fighting. Anybody seen it? How do they fight? Is it interesting, does it look practical, or is it staged stuff that could never really be?

Anybody ever met a Mossad agent, and gone over the type of fighting they are taught? I suspect its stuff like that.

Its the difference between a battle of attrition with clubs, and a sword fight. That is a principle lost on too many people.

nuff said?

Cheers
    It looked like practical stuff. Obviously it must have been choreographed, but it did seem realistic. I'm not sure you'd learn anything from it, but it's not a bad movie.

when you have a weapon and a method, this is not fighting, this is the act of killing, which is different from fighting.

fights take a while when equally matched, a killing takes very little time. In fact, the victim likely won't even hear the report.

people who kill don't train in a kwoon.

people who kill don't train in a mma club.

people who kill have a whole different method and there are more than a few who don't do many situps. lol. This is likely because one doesn't need conditioning to see through a scope or squeeze a trigger with your breath held.
    Kung Fu is good for you.