Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Fearless

tsk tsk

Plum Publications is run by an old martial bro of mine, Ted Mancuso. I have great respect for Ted and what he has done with Plum, but I have issues with anyone who uses other people's material and fails to cite them. Having had my stuff plaguerized so many times, I always do my best to provide good citations. In all fairness to Ted, however, I'm assuming that the broken link for mizong books once led to the book from which this mizong research was extracted. That would have made the perfect informercial and if it helped sell the book, I could certainly see it as justifiable.

You'll have to see my mizong piece in our next issue (Sep Oct 2006). It covers the material presented on that site above, with the appropriate citations. Mizong history is tricky, so it's even more important to leave citation tracks, lest they get lost...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Legend fo a Fighter

Wondering who has seen teh movie Legend of a Fighter, aka Secret Master. Judge Pen says Fearless was like watching a prequel to fist of legend. While the action in Fist of Legend is great, I could never rank it as one of my favorite movies.

Legend of a Fighter on the other hand hit me like a giant ball of chi thrown by Sonny Chiba's character in the Storm Riders.

Just wondering all you people that have seen both Legend of a Fighter and Fearless:
    will I at all be dissapointed if I sit on my fatass and wait for this to come to theaters?
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing
    You'll have to see my mizong piece in our next issue (Sep Oct 2006).
    Cool. will do.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing
    Plum Publications is run by an old martial bro of mine, Ted Mancuso. I have great respect for Ted and what he has done with Plum, but I have issues with anyone who uses other people's material and fails to cite them. Having had my stuff plaguerized so many times, I always do my best to provide good citations. In all fairness to Ted, however, I'm assuming that the broken link for mizong books once led to the book from which this mizong research was extracted. That would have made the perfect informercial and if it helped sell the book, I could certainly see it as justifiable.

You'll have to see my mizong piece in our next issue (Sep Oct 2006). It covers the material presented on that site above, with the appropriate citations. Mizong history is tricky, so it's even more important to leave citation tracks, lest they get lost...
    I just slipped in a puddle of my own drool I will be sure to check it out. BTW, nice pun :-D
    "Prepare your mind..." "For a mind explosion!"
    -The Human Giant, Illusionators

The Huo Yuan Jia/Chin Woo (FEARLESS) special is out

See my unabridged cover story:
    Jet Li is FEARLESS
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Thumbs up

" turning the negative energy to the positive"

Free FEARLESS Posters still available!

From your good friends (and forum sponsors) at www.MartialArtsMart.com

For a limited time, you can receive a free poster for the new action-packed movie, JET LI’S FEARLESS. A free poster will be included with every order while supplies last.
    Here's the sample link - the ones we have in currently are full size - 40" x 27".
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

First off -- great interview Gene.

I was wondering if anyone knew the details about the footage that Ronny Yu cut. From what I read, he chopped off almost 40 minutes and took out all of Michelle Yeoh's scenes. Will there ever be an uncut version available, or will that footage likely be lost since the director himself made the cuts (as opposed to when American film companies do their own editing)? Being a huge Michelle Yeoh fan, I obviously was looking forward to seeing her, plus the scenes she was in seemed, from what I understand anyways -- while perhaps not absolutely necessary, were at least very integral to setting up and framing the story. Ronny claimed that the scenes interfered with the pacing, and since it's his movie, that's his decision to make, but hopefully us die-hard fans will be able to see the full version eventually (a guy can hope right?)
    Last edited by Li Kao; 07-29-2006 at 03:28 AM.
    The Eye Half-Shut:
    Part of the Truth Revealed
    http://rubesroost.blogspot.com

Thanks for the props, Li Kao

Nobody is talking about the cut footage. The studio is rather hush-hush about it all. I'm hoping it'll be on the DVD, since that seems to be the way of things nowadays. So keeping hoping. I'm hoping too...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More FREE FEARLESS posters

We just got a large shipmment of new promotional mini-posters. These posters measure 11"X17". Like the full-size posters above, these mini-posters will be included with every order for MartialArtsMart, while supply lasts. The mini-posters will be sent out with the smaller packages while the full size posters will be sent out with the larger ones.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

FEARLESS director Ronny Yu

Check out my latest e-zine article: Ronny Yu is FEARLESS. FEARLESS opens in the U.S.A. next week.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

there are some awesome weapons fighting in this film..the 3 sectional stuff was superb!

Want to win an autographed Jet Li poster?

Check out our Jet Li's FEARLESS Sweepstakes. Twenty lucky contestants will win an autographed poster, a limited edition t-shirt, a flip-book and trading cards. One entry per person; Multiple entries will be disqualified. Good luck everyone!

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

i saw fearless. i wasnt that impressed with it as everyone is. its like ong bak, tons of hype.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

*Spoliers Intermingled*

I thought the fights in Fearless were better then Jet's usual, only a little bit of wire work. Much closer to the fights in Kiss of the Dragon. What really surprised me about the movie was actually being sucked into the story, something I'm really not used to for any type of movie with good fights. When he redeems himself, and the final fight against the japanese guy who felt exactly the same way about the world as Jet's character made me care alot more when he bit it.

Overall, waaaaay more watchable story wise then Protector.
    Many roads. One path.

Many styles. One art.

Many lineages. One practioner.