Thread: The Littlest Mantid

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

The Littlest Mantid

Just did a test for one of my kids...he was pretty dang sharp for a 6 year old.
    He's been training since January and just tested for his gold sash.
    After the test there was enough time to go over the first phrase of Babu Lian Huan and work on the first drill "Twin Dragons Emerge from the Sea".
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Oso, follwing in dads footsepts huh? nice! good for him.
    Funny thing is it took me 5 years of training and living with my shifu to reach gold mantis .. LOL and your son did it before his 7th b- day
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

LOL, he's a good kid...happy if he was mine but he's a student. And, actually, the credit for his training goes to the woman in the tan tui pic with him as well as one other woman who are teaching my junior's class.

I'd say your gold and his were different...I'm following a pretty standard White, Gold, Orange, Purple...pattern for the sashes.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

thats awesome.

whats his favorite beer?
    where's my beer?

thats awesome.

whats his favorite beer?
    where's my beer?

Thanks...maybe the pics don't do him justice but watching him work was a treat.

If I had to guess what he'll be drinking when he steals a sip of his first beer....................you know, I'm not sure I can peg what his parents drink though I know they do.

I'll make a jump and say that if he starts drinking in his teens if will be PBR

21 = Sierra Nevada IPA
    28 = Stella Artois
    33 = he will go through a period where he will eschew beer and only drink Portuguese reds (which are pretty good, mind you)

By the time he hits 38 he will have mellowed some, gotten out of his snobby artsy phase and will relish a Bud Light on a hot Saturday afternoon but at the same time fully appreciate the complexity of a barley wine ale but still drink a 6-pack of PBR with his pops on Father's Day.

wow, i'm impressed.

your prediction of his beer progression is on the level of cus d'amato predicting the path of mike tyson's career years in advance.

In other words, you are the Cus D'amato of beer.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

LOL...ok, who the hell is Cus D'amato?

He's the guy that turned Floyd Patterson from an amateur boxer to an Olympian and a World Champion.

He's the guy that created Kevin Rooney and Teddy Atlas.

Most importantly he's the guy that turned Mike Tyson from a street thug who used to punch out grannies in elevators and steal their stuff, into the Kid Dynamite that ruled boxing in the late 80s.

Cus D'amato's wikipedia.

He was rumored to have crafted Tyson and Patterson's future from the moment he met each one. With Tyson, he had him wearing a backpack filled with weights everywhere he went- in order to make him short & squat. He died before seeing Tyson become champion but he was remarkably accurate in predicting Mike's future.
    Last edited by Pork Chop; 06-27-2006 at 09:18 PM.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.

I recon I could beat him... maybe

The kids I train just play up and complain constantly, that and aim 'every' move they make at my groin
    Up and down, forward and backward, left and right, its all the same. All of this is done with the mind, not externaly.
    ------------------------------------
    Shaped dragon and looking monkey, sitting tiger and turning eagle.

"I wonder how they would do against jon's no-tension fu. I bet they'd do REALLY WELL."
    - Huang Kai Vun

PC: cool history on Cus. Thanks, I'll take that title. Seriously though, in 12 years of teaching kids I've only every run accross 2 other kids that have the same attributes. He walked in with an amazing level of kinesthetic awareness and best of all, can take a large amount of correction at once.

jon: LOL, remember, they are basically just at the level of the groin. I got real good at simple evasion by walking through a group of 20+ kids doing the first hand form because, invariably, most of them weren't kicking or punching in the correct direction...and they just naturally seemed to be swinging at that level.

We've got a great group of kids, just 4 right now. But, they are all fairly serious about learning.

Quote Originally Posted by Oso
    PC: cool history on Cus. Thanks, I'll take that title. Seriously though, in 12 years of teaching kids I've only every run accross 2 other kids that have the same attributes. He walked in with an amazing level of kinesthetic awareness and best of all, can take a large amount of correction at once.
    Well if you think you can craft his beer-future, I will not doubt your methods.

enh...just making a guess based on his parents and his apparent personality at age 6...I'll be sure to post follow up

i actually remembered about Cus as being Tyson's early manager...I was real excited in the 80's...85-86 I think...when I first saw Tyson fight...just plain unstoppable it seemed...but, then I stopped watching TV about 88 and didn't start watching again till...92 or something like that...by that time I wasn't impressed due to attitude issues.