Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jackie Chan's The Myth

Jackie Chan's The Myth

The more I think about the Myth, the more I think it was all about Mallika Sherawat. I liked the film, despite it's rather disappointing finale, but on reflection, it was mostly because of Mallika. I mean, I'm a huge Jackie fan, but in the Myth, Mallika totally stole his thunder. I could watch all her scenes, especially the Kalari Payattu and the rat glue trap scene, over and over and over. I confess, I'm a Bollywood fan too. After travelling in India, Bollywood hold a special fascination for me (and not just the hotties like Mallika). Also, here in Fremont, we have the largest Indian cinema in America, so Bollywood film is pretty big out here.

If you don't know Mallika yet, check out some sites:
    www.mallika-sherawat.com
    www.mallikasherawat.org
    www.mallikasherawatinfo.com

Mallika is in this new film, Darna Zaroori Hai, which is receiving a fair amount of buzz out here now. I think Mallika is a Bollywood starlet to watch, if you're into Asian film.

Check out the Myth here.

Also check out our e-zine article THE MYTH: Jackie Chan's Stir-fries HERO, MUSA and Lara Croft Chop Suey Style by August West
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Now, it only we could get a pic of her with a sword.

Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

I think one thing that stood out in the movie for me were the authentic Qin dynasty armors, weapons and costumes. I grew so tired of the generic "asian" or "Chinese" clothing and armor in movies and TVs that historically accurate armors were a real treat.

This is one of the major reasons I liked Hero as well. For some reason the women never had anything accurate though.

Too bad that "The Promise" had those fantasy east asian costume designs, which really turned me off.

I never understood why this isn't done more often. It's not like there isn't any research available for things like this. Movies like Hero, the Myth, as well as "The Emperor and the Assasin" had shown that this can obviously done quite well.

General ignorance on the part of the directors perhaps?
    Last edited by gfx; 05-06-2006 at 07:34 PM.
    http://individual.utoronto.ca/gfx/logo1.jpg

"A witty saying proves nothing."
    - Voltaire (1694-1778)

The Promise

The Promise was supposed to be a full on fantasy. Saying that the armor in the Promise wasn't authentic is akin to saying the armor in Lord of the Rings wasn't authentic.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

agreed

obvious, but I will say it anyway.

haven't seen myth, but the armor in Promise certainly looks unique.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

There you go again with the spiky hats, jethro

Maybe we should start a thread about the most outlandish movie armor. Would the tank in the finale of The New Legend of Shaolin count?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I just love great costumes

Needless to say, I am a huge LOTR fan, name me a better costume than sauron's. Btw, I heard great reviews of the myth and horrible ones of the promise, so I amy not see the spiky hats for a while

I am a fan of jet li and his spear in that movie, but really did not like the metal car or the movie as a whole.
    Last edited by jethro; 05-09-2006 at 01:34 PM.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

Forget Rush Hour. Jackie's still working India.

Chitah and Jackie Chan to promote martial arts
    11 Sep 2007, 0000 hrs IST,TNN

Renowned martial arts expert and favourite fight trainer of Bollywood, Chitah Yajness Shhetty, is now on a new mission. Along with Jackie Chan, he will now promote martial arts in India. Most Indians are ignorant of its benefits, and Chitah is planning to travel to every part of India and spread the knowledge of martial arts. He will organise conferences, seminars and special classes for the same.

On his new mission with Jackie Chan, Yajness Shhetty says, "Jackie Chan has given his consent. We have to finalise his date and accordingly we will make the schedule. In three months we will be ready with every thing."

If Yajness' intentions succeed, it will be good, especially for today's generation who seem to forget the importance of a good body and sound mind.
    He did some great work with Indian martial arts in the Myth. I think it was the highlight of the film...either that or Mallika...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Got to hand this one to Jackie

Is oomphalicious really a word?
    Revealed: Man behind Mallika’s ticket to Hollywood!
    11 Aug, 2009 12:00 am ISTlReshma Kelkar Dabholkar/INDIATIMES MOVIES

Mallika Sherawat is trying her best to make her presence felt in Hollywood. The oomphalicious actress has found a secret mentor who’s helping her find her place in the West.

Mallika is currently busy with the post-production work of her forthcoming film Hissss. Looking at her Hollywood aspirations, Mallika’s ‘The Myth’ co star Jackie Chan lent her a helping hand.

Mallika reveals that her dear friend Jackie’s recommendation helped her get a working Visa for US. Mallika is in Los Angeles since a long time and has been tagged the new Hollywood ‘It Girl’ by members of the US entertainment industry. Apart from promoting her film, Mallika’s using her time smartly by connecting with Hollywood personalities, people from Los Angeles charitable circuit and is even attending parties hobnobbing with rock-stars.

Mallika has also signed her first American project where she will play a character partly inspired by Kamala Harris (Attorney General of San Francisco).
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

To be serialized for TV

There's vid - follow the link.

What happened to the oomphalicious Malika is all I want to know...

TV version of "The Myth" aired on CCTV
    2010-01-04 10:32 BJT

The TV version of the hit film "The Myth" will begin airing on CCTV-8 this Sunday. Chief supervisor Jackie Chan and artistic supervisor Stanley Tong were on hand at the release event with cast and crew.

TV series "The Myth" brings the love epic to the small screen. Audiences will see a mesmerizing love story set against the backdrop of an ancient war. It features plenty of suspense similar to the Hollywood hit "National Treasure."

The press event was in the format of an award ceremony. Each star entered as if they were picking up an award. At the end, male lead Hu Ge and female lead Bai Bing jointly sang the theme song of the TV series. While the tune remains the same as the theme song from the film, the lyrics have been changed a bit. The part, originally sung by Kim Heeson using Korean, has been translated into Chinese.

For the fifty episode TV series, the male lead is a modern-era archeologist who travels back to ancient times where he eventually becomes a general. The prolonged TV series will definitely add enchanting details, and fully display the contrast between the modern and the ancient time periods.

Lead actor Hu Ge carries his cell phone into the ancient era, and his lines feature some modern idioms, adding a comedic element to the production.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Work it, Jackie

Let's see, Jackie is 55, going on 56 next month. Mallika is 33. Sparks?

She was still great in that rat glue fight scene. That was one of Jackie's most recent great innovative fights. I'm sure Mallika was his muse for that.

Sparks reigniting between Mallika and Jackie Chan in LA
    For those who don't know, Mallika is in LA these days shooting for another Hollywood flick and she plans to stick around till mid-march.

Fri, Mar 05, 2010 12:37:48 IST

Well, if you thought that the hot vibes between our super hot desi babe Mallika Sherwat and Hollywood action hero Jackie Chan cooled off after their movie ‘The Myth’ released in the year 2005. Take a break. Almost five years after, Mallika and Jackie are still great friends. They follow each other religiously on twitter and keep sending sweet tweets to each other.

For those who don’t know, Mallika is in LA these days shooting for another Hollywood flick and she plans to stick around till mid-march. After Jackie decided to follow Mallika on twitter he sent her “a big big big kiss” to which the sexy siren responded very warmly and tweeted, “Miss U, Jackie! Met with your friend Fred Spektor and his wife in LA, such a lovely couple.

Come to LA!” Being a sport that Jackie is, he showed keenness on meeting the hot babe and why not? Remember Mallika gave a topless scene with Jackie in’The Myth’. Mallika twitted again, “Visit me, come be my guest on set!” to Jackie. We can say that sparks are getting reignited, is that so Mallika?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Omg

She's coming to Fremont. Mallika is coming to Fremont.

19th Festival of India on Aug 13th & 14th, 2011
    2011 Grand Marshal

Super Star: Mallika Sherawat
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ttt

Mallika Sherawat meets Jackie Chan...again!
    Published: Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 12:52 IST
    By Sayantan Dalal | Place: Mumbai | Agency: DNA

Mallika Sherawat and Jackie Chan
    DNA

Actress Mallika Sherawat caught up with international co-star Jackie Chan at the ongoing 65th Cannes Film Festival, when she walked the red carpet.

The actress made a bold statement in her nude coloured backless risqué gown and wowed everyone present there.

But the highlight of the evening was when she met up with Jackie over dinner. It was back in 2005 that both the stars walked the red carpet together at Cannes for their film The Myth.

Mallika, who dined with Chan that day,was thrilled to meet him again. Informs a source, “She was really glad to meet him after a long time. They were seen having a good time.” An excited Mallika later tweeted, “Met my old friend Jackie Chan, was great to catch up wt him, Will post pics soonXO.”

The actress was also excited to have featured in a popular international magazine.
    I never followed up on that proposed TV series. Did it happen? Anyone see it?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ttt 4 2013

I gotta hand it to Jackie. To have captivated a Bollywood starlet like Mallika for so long...he's the man!
    Jackie Chan better actor than Bollywood`s Khans: Mallika Sherawat
    Last Updated: Wednesday, January 30, 2013, 16:36

Jackie Chan better actor than Bollywood`s Khans: Mallika Sherawat

New Delhi: The ‘Murder’ star Mallika Sherawat has revealed that she admires the Hollywood superstar Jackie Chan more than the Khans of Bollywood.

Sherawat said that she’s in awe of her ‘The Myth’ co-star and is sad that most Indians are not aware of him and have thus missed out on his films.

She also said that she believes Chan to be a much better actor than all the Khans of Bollywood.
    If you don't know, there are a lot of Khans in Bollywood.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips