Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: this is starting to bug me...

this is starting to bug me...

People

Right. Im posting with regards to schools that have a grading syllabus.

I started learning mantis 2 years ago. The set-up of our school is that grading comes every 3 months at first and then moves to 6+months depending on where abouts you are. Just before and after 'black sash' level its different and gradings are more spread apart.

This is fair enough, I dont mind gradings and that sort of set-up, we live in a society built upon similar ideologies. My first ever grade in mantis was fairly simple, I had to learn bung bo kuen, applications and some drills/partner work. Although underconfident in my ability, I passed and moved onto the next level.

Now I have been training for 2 years I have noticed a lot of things about gradings, the level of students and the understanding. I am becoming more and more ****ed off when I see people who are 'black sash' or 'high graders' doing forms with no understanding of stancework, breathing or theory behind it.

I feel disheartened sometimes when teachers throw around words like '5th degree blacksash' like this students super skilled, and then they perform a form with little or no understanding or what they are doing (this isnt a high handed opinion, just my observations). It seems to me that if you pay the money you pass. Yes there is a required level that you 'should be at' for each grading, but it seems to me that as long as you pay the money you will pass.

Which makes me wonder, if this is how its going to go, how watered down and rubbish will it get, its a vicious circle.

GOD ****IT
    craig

that generally is how it works unfortunately.

at the school i attend you will rarely see anyone failed at a test, though it has happened before.

luckily, our black sash test sets the men apart from the boys.

its a 2 day test.

the first day is a non stop 10 mile run in mountain trails. if you stop even one mile short of the mark, you fail. thats day one.

day 2:

total review of all techniques, applications and forms.

then you fight 10 rounds with 30 push ups in between each round. no breaks. after those 10 rounds, you do 5 rounds of defense only against multiple opponents.

throw a 45 minute horse stance in there, and a match with the master, complete all that and you get your black sash. fail and you dont get it.

you cannot get certified by my teacher unless you truly are a certified bad ass.

sifu doesnt put someone up to test unless he plans on passing them. although you may go 3 years without testing. so thats why everyone passes. he watches you everyday you train there. he knows where you are at.

edit:

it takes roughly 8-10 years for you to get your black sash from sifu's school. no 1st 2nd or 3rd degree's either. originally he had no ranks at all. only the final test. now there are ranks to accomidate america.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

What about the people that get promoted but don't have a chance in he|| at actually defending them selves.

I know exactly what you're talking about. My last school was the same way. Some people are all about the black sash. Me, I want to know something indepth.

It's just like Mr. Miyagi said, Karate here, (pointing to his head) karate here, (pointing to his heart) karate never here (pointing to his belt).

Yeah I know, I'm a d0rk for quoting Mr. Miyagi but that one statement actually says a lot about martial arts in America today.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

Dude.

Mr. Miyagi had infinite wisdom in his teachings. Nothing ****y about it.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

I was talking to my partner about it. She basically said that its down to expectations. Some people are 45 and come to a kung fu lesson just to get a general workout, some are kids who think its Kewl, some are people who want a hobby.

In todays society teacher/organisations have to cater for all different kinds of people, from old to young, fat to thin, hobbiest to enthusiasts. Therefore the teacher has to set a level that attracts a wide variety of people, if its too hard the hobbiests and alike will quit.

I guess in the end of the day its whats best for marketing. Give people a belt/sash as a sense of achievement and they will keep coming.

Which is a **** shame for the few who actually want it to be strict and hardwork.

wong kiew kits book 'the art of shaolin kung fu' pretty much says about this topic.

craig

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyfoot
    Now I have been training for 2 years I have noticed a lot of things about gradings, the level of students and the understanding. I am becoming more and more ****ed off when I see people who are 'black sash' or 'high graders' doing forms with no understanding of stancework, breathing or theory behind it.

I feel disheartened sometimes when teachers throw around words like '5th degree blacksash' like this students super skilled, and then they perform a form with little or no understanding or what they are doing (this isnt a high handed opinion, just my observations). It seems to me that if you pay the money you pass. Yes there is a required level that you 'should be at' for each grading, but it seems to me that as long as you pay the money you will pass.
    That's why my students don't see their second sash for generally 2 years. In maybe 6 months they can learn the material, but they have to perfect those movements before moving on.

An elder student should excell in both knowledge and form; not just the number of forms they know. If I had to choose between teaching privately with a small group of students and depending on a second job and having those guys perform how they should for their level, and having a good school with good income and plenty of students that have bad form but remember the stuff, I'll take the second job thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyfoot
    I was talking to my partner about it. She basically said that its down to expectations. Some people are 45 and come to a kung fu lesson just to get a general workout, some are kids who think its Kewl, some are people who want a hobby.

In todays society teacher/organisations have to cater for all different kinds of people, from old to young, fat to thin, hobbiest to enthusiasts. Therefore the teacher has to set a level that attracts a wide variety of people, if its too hard the hobbiests and alike will quit.
    That's why I set up different curiculum's. I have the main one for the folks that really want to learn kung fu, and the women's self defense for the ladies that jsut want to learn how to defend themselves and get a good cardio workout in the process.
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

Quote Originally Posted by PangQuan
    that generally is how it works unfortunately.

at the school i attend you will rarely see anyone failed at a test, though it has happened before.

luckily, our black sash test sets the men apart from the boys.

its a 2 day test.

the first day is a non stop 10 mile run in mountain trails. if you stop even one mile short of the mark, you fail. thats day one.

day 2:

total review of all techniques, applications and forms.

then you fight 10 rounds with 30 push ups in between each round. no breaks. after those 10 rounds, you do 5 rounds of defense only against multiple opponents.

throw a 45 minute horse stance in there, and a match with the master, complete all that and you get your black sash. fail and you dont get it.

you cannot get certified by my teacher unless you truly are a certified bad ass.

sifu doesnt put someone up to test unless he plans on passing them. although you may go 3 years without testing. so thats why everyone passes. he watches you everyday you train there. he knows where you are at.

edit:

it takes roughly 8-10 years for you to get your black sash from sifu's school. no 1st 2nd or 3rd degree's either. originally he had no ranks at all. only the final test. now there are ranks to accomidate america.
    Your Sifu is a *real* teacher IMHO. He follows the same ideology that I do: urinating blood and a kidney stone is more fun than testing mwahahahhaa

It is disgusting when people don't know what they're doing and still get promotions.

But it's kindof a waste of time anyway to study a martial art for so long. If you're just learning for self defense, obviously you don't need to learn 18 weapons and all of that.

So martial arts school becomes kindof like SCA (society for creative anachronisms). Basically it's a place to do a hobby, right, that live a little fantasy that it's still around 300 years ago before reliable guns and all that.

So the martial arts school becomes a martial gym and fantasy land. So who cares if the guy's a 5th degree black sash, really? It matters not one iota. Why not let them dream their fantasy and pay the instructor some $$$?

I should also add that after looking around, and considering that you can actually get diseases from training (ringworm, herpes, etc.,) a lot of injuries, etc., (how many people do you meet getting injured in real fights on the street vs. injured in training), does it really make sense to study so hardcore and all that? Not really, right? Train so hardcore to be crippled at 60 doesn't really make much sense.

They usually prompt the test with a, "I all ready know they can do it so the test is just a formality." So when someone does poorly on a test they can just go back to that statement.

If you paid a testing fee, but didn't pass, would you ask for your money back?

If you tested someone who wasn't ready/able to pass what does that say about you as a teacher?

Plus if you failed them, they probably would be greatly discouraged, and might quit.

I'm OK with school just pushing people through the rainbow, but make them work for black. The only reason I think black should count for something is because if you go some where else with a black belt you get a whole lot more respect than any other grade.

I have a black belt from a completely different style from the school I'm at now, however they still allow me to wear it there and represent the school as a black belt while learning the curriculum. I get all the same courtesies as a black belt of their style.

But It really doesn't matter anyway, what color belt they wear. Except to public perception, but that is already so skewed by the media anyway.

Story time

A guy at my school went to Okinawa with his sensei to study with the grandmaster. The grandmaster saw the dude said he was good, had him do one form, and promoted him to black belt.

Sensei made him test again when they got back though. It was a fairly hard test, harder than mine at least. maybe two hours. Tired him out with sparring then he had to do every form. With pushups and stuff thrown it there to keep him tired. Nothing too hard core but it wasn't easy.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

IMHO the entire concept of belts and tests is kindof stupid. I mean, what matters is can you fight, nothing else.

If you consider the form is one person's interpretation of how to standardize the teaching of the movement of a technique, then making everybody do the form the same way is B.S. anyway.

What they should do is teach techniques suited to your fighting style, and then you can make up your own forms if you want to do solo practice.

I think time put in should count for something. Talent and ability is all and good, but there is something to be said for the wisdom (I use the term loosely) that comes from years put in. If nothing else you should respect thier dedication. And though we may not agree with it not every one is in it to kick some @$$.

I'm not against forms, but I don't think forms should be the main focus to the exclusion of other "skills".

I think ten empty hand and ten weapons forms is more than enough for a large system. Or if you want to go all chinese, 18 empty hand and 18 weapons forms. Not to say anything bad about the style but Choy li fut = 100+ forms, wow! More than I want.

But forms keep them coming back. And although I realize I don't need so many forms I still like to learn new ones. I think the trick is to ration out forms more slowly so that you can focus on the applications. Course then you have to keep them form getting bored.

I keep saying instead of belts people should just wear iced out chains with the number of years you've been training.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

MF,
    Why don't you shop around a little. It might suck to start at a new school, but I would p!ssed off too in your situation. All schools aren't like that. You can find one that is pretty tough if you do a little research and check out a few classes. In my school, black sash doesn't come easily, you gotta be good. From what I've seen, my Sifu is pretty tough on grading when it comes to the sashes before black. It takes some people way more than 10 years...It'll probably take me more than that and I have a generally good skill level for someone that has only studied a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by neilhytholt
    I should also add that after looking around, and considering that you can actually get diseases from training (ringworm, herpes, etc.,) a lot of injuries, etc., (how many people do you meet getting injured in real fights on the street vs. injured in training), does it really make sense to study so hardcore and all that? Not really, right? Train so hardcore to be crippled at 60 doesn't really make much sense.
    You got herpes from training? What exactly were you doing that gave you herpes?

I always see old martial arts practioners in good health, not crippled when they're 60. You don't think exercise and conditioning is good for you?

I do gradings, but I only put the students in when they're ready for it. They have to be able to do it right, I can't even conceive advancing a student when they can't do the basics. I understand the "different motivations" argument, but it's flawed. Draw parallels to things like music or art. If you play guitar because enjoy a bit of gentle strumming and a singalong to releive the days stress, they're not going to let you pass grade 8 are they? They're not going to give you an MA if you're painting's sh*t because "well, they're just doing it because it gives them time to think".
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk