Thread: How do YOU defend against an uppercut?

How do YOU defend against an uppercut?

This Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto highlight vid made me think of this question.

btw, he seems to have trouble stopping. At 3:39 the ref is trying to pull him off a guy but he keeps punching him, and toward the end, he subs some guys and doesn't seem to want to let go after they tap when the ref tries to pull him off.
    Last edited by IronFist; 05-04-2006 at 04:24 PM.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

i guess it would depend on what kind of uppercut, and how strong the person is.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

man, you would think someone would come out with an original idea for a video. BUt this seems to be a standard modality:

show some clips of a half naked mma fighter.

put in some heavy metal.

presto!

blah blah blah

anyway, there's several effective defenses to an uppercut, but that doesn't mean you can always apply.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

1. Keep elbows in, pointed down. Keep moving and changing direction (passive defense)

2. After you establish a bridge, use sensitivity to read his intentions and block his avenues of attack. (active defense)

3. Give him something else to worry about, other than bombing uppercuts at your grill. (best defense)

It's really just like anything else - present as small a target as possible, keep moving, read his attacks as best you can, and keep up the offensive pressure so he can't measure his shots.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    catch it in your teeth and rip it off????????????
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Spread arms as wide as I can like I'm flying and slightly bend over at the waist, it also helps if you lift your chin and open your mouth.
    To some I have little character value. My friends know the truth. Guess which of the two I give two shiats about.

DISCLAIMER: Everything said by me in my posts should be taken with a grain of salt. All of my comments are mostly written in a sarcastic, juvenile manor. Any attempt at actually taking offense to what is said by me in my posts will be the sole responsibility of said reader.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...tofthejunk.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist
    This Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto highlight vid made me think of this question.

btw, he seems to have trouble stopping. At 3:39 the ref is trying to pull him off a guy but he keeps punching him, and toward the end, he subs some guys and doesn't seem to want to let go after they tap when the ref tries to pull him off.
    I don't really like the geezer FWIW. I've never met him so I'd suspend my judgment of course, but I know several people who have and from what they've said and the interviews and stuff I've seen on him I think he's arrogant and a bit of a git.

And yeah, he does go way over the top. Except in the Genki Sudo fight (finishes about 8:02 into that vid) which I think was stopped too soon: I reckon Genki could've come back. Kid does have a helluva punch tho so what've'd happened after that would be anybody's guess, but I'm looking forward to the rematch.

As for the question Waidan seems to have nailed the options. Not being there is the best one, and keeping your elbows in is another.

David, which part are you objecting to? You wanted him to be completely naked, or you wanted silk pajamas?! The heavy metal...? You didn't watch enough of the vid to get to the Enya bit and the dunno, maybe Boom Boom Satellites at the end?

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson
    man, you would think someone would come out with an original idea for a video. BUt this seems to be a standard modality:

show some clips of a half naked mma fighter.

put in some heavy metal.

presto!

blah blah blah

anyway, there's several effective defenses to an uppercut, but that doesn't mean you can always apply.
    I'm going to hold you to this when I release a video of a taiji hippy fighting in multi-colored pants, surfing, reggea, rap, Grateful Dead music...... and oh, elbows down. Elbows always do the blocking, hands do the hitting.

elbows in and down is about the only constant (but i'm a wing tsun guy, so i'm kinda predictable). as far as everything else, it depends on where the uc is coming from and, as mentioned before, the size of the meathead.

and i don't have the software for it, but someone should make something like a shamrock or liddell video and have enya in the background. see if anyone makes it past 1:30 without falling asleep on their keyboard.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina
    I'm going to hold you to this when I release a video of a taiji hippy fighting in multi-colored pants, surfing, reggea, rap, Grateful Dead music...... and oh, elbows down. Elbows always do the blocking, hands do the hitting.

not necessarily... if the uc is coming for the chin, you can block it with the underside of your fist. A hook punch would then be a typical follow up to your block.

I like the KOs at 7:01 and 7:33
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Sway your head back and away

Quote Originally Posted by Oso
    catch it in your teeth and rip it off????????????
    "Ricky Oh" style!

As Takamura san would say: "Elbow Burlok"