Thread: in shape

in shape

hey I just joined a gym the other day and I got a full body check. Right now I'm at 17% BF. I'd like to be more like 10%. So I was wondering what would be the quickest and best way for me to do that. So far I've only been lifting not much cardio. I think my stamina is pretty low overall. Anyone have any advice. Also any estimated time as to how long something like that might take?

Thanks

Adjusting your diet is the quickest and probably the best way to loose body fat.

After evaluating my own diet I've discovered that while it's not too bad, I do consume too many carbs and not enough protein. In the past I've gotten down to 11% body fat by just sorting out some things. Eating less carbs (like crackers and bread) and more protein (like cottage cheese, chicken, eggs and protein drinks).

Go to Fitday.com and sign up for a free account. It's a great little tool to see what you're eating. It breaks everything down for you in percentage of protein, carbs and fat. I try to keep my fat intake below 30% and I try to eat eqaul amounts of carbs and protein.

As far as workouts go, HIIT or High Intesity Inteval Training is great for burning calories during a workout and all day long. It will also improve your cardio.

Good luck.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

Thanks for the fit day link Chief, that looks like a great site. I've always been a big fan of tracking progress over time. It'll be a great compliment to my hard copy log.

I love those gym body checks, by trained professionals.

Chirs,

Changing your body compostion can be regulated through proper health and fitness practices. It is obvious your current health and fitness habits has led to your current 17% bodyfat. I do not place much stock in such things but that is my own opinion. I am more concern how well I feel and perform and how my overall health and fitness practices are "integrated" with my present goals. For my own edification, why do you want to decrease your bodyfat and how will this serve or enhance your current health and fitness? From the start of your plan, I reckon you will have to reexamine your beliefs and your current practices. I recommend you get professional help like a body composition specific dietian and perhaps an intelligent bodybuilding personal trainer. Why I recommended these two things is because if you want to decrease your bodyfat for vanity's sake, then bodybuilding methodology would fit your needs. In their model and application, you can drop bodyfat rather quickly within two to four weeks. I personally do not advocate such modalities because it is not too sound in health and general well being. If you want to heard other options, PM me so we can discuss it privately. Good luck with your goals.
    Last edited by FooFighter; 05-13-2006 at 03:06 PM.
    Bao Tran, Certified CST Coach
    www.cstwarrior.typepad.com
    Your Success is our Success