Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread: Why CMA Doesn't Win the UFC

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter
    We/ve been doing these at the Dog Brothers events for years.
    nice, whats the rate of serious injury? why type of staffs do you all use?
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Quote Originally Posted by PangQuan
    nice, whats the rate of serious injury? why type of staffs do you all use?

We use rattan, mostly.
    Not too many serious injuries... some stitches, and the occasional KO and/or concussion.

sweet, thats what i train with.

we do some staff sparring in school, nothing hardcore tho.

i used to get together with a few guys on a reg basis and spar with wooden weapons.

dao
    bokken
    naginata
    tonfa
    staff
    jian
    nunchaku
    and some sai (metal, dont know if they make wooden ones)

dunno why no one thinks weapon training is useful. weapons are everywhere you go...how can you defend against one if you cant even wield it...
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar
    someone on this thread said he's coaching right now, didn't they? If he was too old back then, why wouldn't he be too old now? As for the parenthesis in my comment, It's in reference to the fact that since he wasn't fighting or training fighters, it's possible that he didn't know the man was once a fighter.

So?!?!?! ST not knowing he was a fighter doesn't equate to him NOT being a fighter. The same can and WILL be said of all of us if this is true. There will be a day, and soon, where we will not be fighting. Thats just spin and you know it. In his day he was a fighter. Just because he isn't doing it now doesn't mean he couldn't today at some level. The arrogant "he is no fighter" line is just pure disrespect. It shows a massive ego on St's part.

Knifefighter:
    Knifefighter]No, but they the way they fight in their respective disciplines is not that much different than the way they fight in MMA and not that much different than the way they fight in the street.
    Hung: As you pointed out "not that much" , bottom line there is a difference

That’s true. But it is one additional proverbial “nail in the coffin” piece of supporting evidence.
    So if a real good CMA fighter goes in the UFC and beats down all the MMA, does this one fighter change anything and does this now mean that CMA is better than MMA? Of course not. Fighting is fighting, so you can call it what you want. It doesn't matter whether it's MMA, CMA, or PTA, its the individual. There's no "nail in the coffin" bro, TCMA's history speaks for itself, so a few years of a trendy new sport or title won't change that. I have alot of respect for the MMA fighters & i work out with some.

I'm not stupid, i do agree that the alleged "CMA" who fought in the UFC need to improve their sport skills. CMA guys must learn how to adapt their skills for the ring that's all.

Are people so naive to automatically assume that the CMA guys who competed in the UFC represent all CMA as well as the best of CMA? Think about this; 60% of the schools in the U.S. claiming to be Traditional CMA are fake and this has alot to do with the problem. That's right i said it again! (don't get me started on this point)

If you get together with an experience Southern Style TCMA and exchange skills, you'll be surprised to find out that some Southern CMA are actually a "Mixed Martial Arts" and way before you ever heard the catch all title. No doubt the title MMA is selling alot of tickets. i bought one

…and this line of thinking is another nail.
    Getting into competition against other resisting opponents is one of the best ways to help you develop your skills in a quick and effective manner and the risks to "safety and health" are relatively minor. Boxer’s, BJJer’s, Judoka’s, Samboists, Muay Thai fighters, and wrestlers begin competing in a relatively short time after beginning to train. This is part of what makes these systems so effective. You don’t have to be a deadly fighting machine before you begin to compete and to test yourself against others.
    [B]i'm referring to an "unskilled" fighter vs. a very skilled fighter. we've all seen fights where we said "that guy had no business in the ring against that fighter"

thanks for your response Knifefighter
    Last edited by hungganyc; 05-19-2006 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SifuAbel
    The arrogant "he is no fighter" line is just pure disrespect. It shows a massive ego on St's part.

We'll have to disagree there. I don't see the massive disrespect, as he gave props to his skill. he is disrespecting him for not also giving him recognition in all areas?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Hung,

I think more than 60% are fake. and mma guys judge cma as lame because of them.