Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: general sparring tips?

general sparring tips?

i am have a problem with defending against people who like to use hooks to rap around and hit me and the back and tend to grab alot.
    i would like some tips on this and any tips you feel like posting

Talking what sort of hooks?

pls elaborate on the type of hooks. Is it boxing hook punch or those typical of preying mantis hooks.

Are the hooks aimed at your head or your back? Where are they grabbing you?
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

shrimp up and use destructions to dissolve hooks.

when yer shrimped, keep your guard up.

when you see the hook coming, the destruction motion is akin to slicking your hair and creates a shield on the side of your head. You can eat a hook with this move and counter with your other side.

if you need pictures just ask, Im sure I can find examples, but you have to promise to do a google on shrimping and a google on pugilistic destructions first.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    accept the hooks and drive deeper in to them. if you are inside the outermost arc of the hook then it hurts less.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

I agree with Oso, the hooks have significantly less power when you drive into the opponent. The shedding (or destruction) techniques that DJ described are great to help carry the hook past you as you move in. Just keep you guard up and be ready to launch into an immediate counter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

I agree with Judge Pen agreeing with me.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

Which brings us to your second issue; grabbing. I assume you mean they use they chling on your arms and shoulders when you close distance on them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Wildwoo is offline 苦練在最熱的天,夏季和冬季最寒冷的日子 !
    Kick 'em in the nads!!!! Datz what I doo.........

they are shots to the kidneys and back

they tend to grab forearms that just mostly bugs me. any blocks would help from the back? i was also thinking of putting more power in my blocks

basically what we are doing is one attack and one defending after a minute or two switch off. i have a feeling if he keeps grabbing im going to have to head butt him in the solar plexus

you must have one pointy head.

so, he's trapping/sealing your arms and hook punching around the same side as the arm he has trapped to hit you in the ribs?

If so...

counter grab as soon as they start to lay on and circle to the outside of the arm he is using to seal your arm and give him the same but quicker.

you could also attempt a chin na or throw them.

if they 'keep' doing it then there should be some predictability in their movement.

thank

thank you guys i will keep those in mind when i do the drill again

Quote Originally Posted by dainos
    i am have a problem with defending against people who like to use hooks to rap around and hit me and the back and tend to grab alot.
    i would like some tips on this and any tips you feel like posting
    I suggest you practice low stances (cat stance, cross-leg, front stance) combination. you can let the opponent attack you without fighting back.

practice the stances until the movement comes out natural. your feet will know where to go automatically, you can keep phase even with very fast opponent.

play the distance, safe and unsafe.

keep center of gravity low for balance

low stance will give ur opponent such a small target.

relax your arms and shoulder. your opponent is like grabing air when he tried to hook your arms.

your opponent will have hardtime trying to catch you before he can make the grab or hook.

i hope this help.
    Last edited by MyDrills; 05-17-2006 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen
    I agree with Oso, the hooks have significantly less power when you drive into the opponent. The shedding (or destruction) techniques that DJ described are great to help carry the hook past you as you move in. Just keep you guard up and be ready to launch into an immediate counter.
    thats true if the one doing the hook is not an expert. if an expert hook or grab you, even if you move forward you'll be drag all over the place.

just sharing

Quote Originally Posted by MyDrills
    thats true if the one doing the hook is not an expert. if an expert hook or grab you, even if you move forward you'll be drag all over the place.

just sharing
    well, it's not like you wouldn't be doing unto him as much as you can while you're in there.

I agree with you as I'll hook punch to wrap the head as well.

It just works better for me to get inside and short punch and grab the head or get underhooks and throw...so, of course, I think that's the mack daddy of all options.