Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jackie’s Charity work

I could use a Hermes Scarf - put that on my Xmas list too.

It's good to hear he's still working on helping out Sichuan. After the Olympics, everyone seems to have forgotten it. We haven't either. We're still taking donations.
    Jackie Chan Jets Into China For Charity

Action star Jackie Chan has been in New Mexico lately filming his latest film, The Spy Next Door. But he took time off last week to do some charity work back in China.

The star flew to Hong Kong last weekend to launch a new Hermes scarf, the sales of which will raise money for the Jackie Chan Charitable Foundation. The idea for the scarf first came when Chan was making Rush Hour 3 in Paris and met the CEO of Hermes.

“It took almost two years from the time we had that conversation until now when it’s all ready,“ said Chan. “I always thought it was so easy to make a scarf, but then I realized that there are so many steps involved; finally this year it was finished. It was supposed to be released in time for the Olympics, but it was delayed. Hermes only made 400 of these Les Tigreaux scarves.“

Following the launch he visited Guangzhou and Beijing in China to perform two charity shows and raise money for victims of the Sichuan earthquake.

“I want to tell you about a very special young girl that I met,“ he said. “This girl was caught in the Sichuan earthquake and when the building she was in collapsed, her leg became trapped. To save her life, she cut off her own leg. First she used a rock and then she when the firemen came to save her, they couldn’t get to her, so she told them to hand her a saw. She used the saw to cut her leg off and free herself. I think she is the bravest girl I ever met in my whole life. Afterwards, the bone in her leg became infected and she had to have more of her leg removed. But now she is finally getting better. I brought her to Beijing to have a prosthetic leg put on. She was very happy, but she kept worrying about the cost and I told her that it was okay….not to worry; we would take care of her.“

After a series of press conferences and the filming of a commercial, Chan jumped back on a plane to America to continue filming his new movie.
    Jackie Chan finds a way to look good for a good cause
    Andrew Sun
    Dec 01, 2008
    You can never accuse Jackie Chan of being lazy. Last Friday, the star flew all the way home from New Mexico, where he's been shooting a movie, to attend an event for his charity. Just hours after landing, the Hong Kong icon put his promotional face on for luxury house Hermes, which has chosen his Jackie Chan Charitable Foundation to be the beneficiary of a limited-edition Les Tigreaux printed scarf. The press conference, held at the label's soon-to-open shop at 5 Canton Road, revealed that only 400 tiger scarves are available here and in Macau
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Jackie's antique collection

Jack Tu told me a story about going antique shopping with Jackie. I thought that was pretty cool...
    Jackie Chan Offered to Donate Antique Chinese Houses
    * February 12, 2009 19:49

Hong Kong action star Jackie Chan is donating antique wooden houses from China worth more than $100 million to Singapore's upcoming fourth university.

The structures, now sitting in a warehouse in Hong Kong, are from the private collection of gongfu king Chan, a lover of Chinese history.

They consist of seven wooden housing structures and a performing stage originating from the Ming and Qing dynasties dating back more than 200 years. The houses are anchored in stone slabs.

These rare examples of Chinese housing from a bygone era are set to be displayed at the new university's campus in Changi South when it is completed in 2011, according to a story in Lianhe Zaobao yesterday.

The Chinese newspaper also reported Chan's property manager Simon Kwan as saying that the popular star wanted the precious objects to be in safe-keeping.

Chan, 54, had originally approached the Hong Kong government about donating his collection but changed his mind when it did not respond quickly enough, the report said.

He decided on Singapore because his collection would be of educational value to the students seeing it on campus.

Mr Kwan declined to go into details about the project when contacted by Life!.

However, he confirmed that Chan had met local government officials at the site of the upcoming university last year to discuss his intended donation.

The tertiary institution will be built on land originally earmarked for the now-aborted Asian campus of the University of New South Wales and will offer courses in design, engineering, architecture and business.

Mr Kwan, 52, who handles Chan's property deals here, said there should be 'no problem bringing these structures out of China'.

But he added that additional 'paperwork on how to transport these structures and getting a local architect to put them together' has to be done before anything can be finalised.

He also said that the collection, which has 'stones taller than a man, that hold the wooden structures together', had been amassed by antique-lover Chan over nearly 20 years.

His collecting passion was also influenced by his late father, who loved old Chinese wooden houses. Chan's dad, Charlie, died in February last year at the age of 93 after battling cancer.

The star's love of all things historical can be seen in his property purchases here. He owns the 105-year-old Jinriksha Station at 1 Neil Road, once the central depot for rickshaw drivers in Singapore, and the four-storey The 50s complex. Both are historic buildings within the Neil Road conservation area.

He also has contemporary interests, owning condo units in the Orchard Road area, and opened Jackie Chan's Cafe, Coffee and Tea at 1 Nassim Road two years ago.

Life! asked Mr Jeffrey Goh, principal architect at local firm GP Design, about what might be involved in putting Chan's antique houses on display.

His firm has not been approached about the project but Mr Goh said that for such old wooden houses, a lot of work would have to go into conserving doors, walls and pillars which 'might have intricate detailing because of their Chinese origins'.

The 59-year-old has done conservation work on more than 100 houses here in areas of special architectural interest such as Joo Chiat, Geylang, Selegie and North Bridge Road.

Rotting wood would also need to be replaced and this has to blend in with the original structure, he added.

He said: 'The project sounds very interesting and I wouldn't mind taking it up. But I would need to do a lot of research to find out more about these houses first.'
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The worldwide economic meltdown hits HK & Jackie

...maybe it's not so bad in Singapore?

Martial Arts Star Theatens to Take His Collection to Singapore
    Published: February 26, 2009

HONG KONG—Movie star Jackie Chan would like to find a site to exhibit his collection of seven antique houses in his native Hong Kong. Barring that, he will take them to Singapore, Bloomberg reports.

The martial artist says that he has been asking the Hong Kong government for over a decade to find a site for his collection, which includes a house that is 480 years old; when he approached the Singapore government, it got back to him in a week.

Chan says that he would still prefer to house the houses in Hong Kong and he will withdraw his offer to Singapore if the Hong Kong government comes up with a solution.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

1st anniversary of 5/12

See our Martial Arts Benefit for Quake Victims thread for an update.
    Jackie Chan Sings with Young Quake Survivors
    2009-05-12 09:14:08 Xinhua Web Editor: Xie Tingting
    Jackie Chan Monday joined students who survived last year's earthquake in Sichuan, singing with them to help boost morale.

Hong Kong movie star Jackie Chan Monday joined students who survived last year's disastrous earthquake in southwestern China's Sichuan Province, singing with them to help boost morale among the teenagers on the eve of the quake's anniversary.

The 55-year-old star, best-known for his martial-arts films, came to Beichuan Middle School, one of the worst-hit schools in the quake, to sing a song titled "Nation" with students there.

The song was dedicated to the 60th anniversary of the founding of the PRC.

Chan and his team have been promoting the song since a music video of it was finished in April.

Chan unfurled a national flag covering 5,000 square meters on the school playground. His shouts of "Go! Beichuan" "Go! China" were echoed by about 1,000 students.

"I really feel the strength of our nation after the quake. The song gives me a better understanding of the relationship between the nation and a family," said Jing Shengxi, a student of the school.

"We would not have such bright smiles today without a strong nation," said schoolmaster Liu Yachun. "I hope every student can make best use of time, remember the love, make a better self and help build a strong nation."

More than 1,000 students and teachers of the school were dead or missing in the quake on May 12 last year.

The new school, mostly funded by donations from Chinese all over the world, will begin reconstruction Tuesday.

The 8.0-magnitude quake left more than 87,000 people dead or missing in all.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Sweet! Jackie's the man!

It's always great to see movie stars, etc... doing there part for the unfortunate victims. But I guess we should all do our part no matter how small or large.
    Nothing is harder to see into than people's nature. The sage looks at subtle phenomena and listens to small voices. This harmonizes the outside with the inside and the inside with the outside.
    --Zhuge Liang--

樱花瓣在飘零 这悲凉的风景
    长袖挥不去一生刀光剑影

i want to see pictures of these houses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

inspirational

Follow the link at the bottom for the full story on Jackie Chan kids...
    Fans Inspired To Give By Jackie Chan
    Dragon's Heart Charity's celebrity supporters
    August 14, 2009 by Tim Saunders

A 14-year-old boy from The Netherlands has written a great story on Jackie Chan’s website about the lessons he has learned from the action star about charitable giving.

“I want to thank Jackie for teaching me about charity,“ wrote Thomas Engelmoer, who has spent much of the last few years fundraising for Chan’s Dragon’s Heart Foundation and recently met his hero in Beijing. "I have learned how meaningful it is to help raise money for charity and that it can also be a lot of fun. It makes me very happy to know that through the Build a School for a Dollar project I can help children… get a good education so that they have a better chance for a better future.“

The Dragon’s Heart Foundation strives to meet the needs of poverty-stricken children and the elderly in the hardest-to-reach areas of China. Jackie Chan has made several trips to villages in these remote locations, bringing warm clothing, wheelchairs and school supplies, and helping to build schools. In 2006, the Build a School for a Dollar project began on Jackie’s Kids Corner website. The initiative sees children from all over the world raise money for charity, and for every dollar raised, Chan matches the donation. Over US $140,000 has been raised for Jackie’s Dragon’s Heart Foundation to help build schools in remote areas of China. The project was begun as a way to involve children in charitable giving and it has grown to include adults as well.

According to the Foundation: "Jackie’s fans have come up with dozens of creative ways to raise money. There have been bake sales, craft sales, sponsored bicycle rides, and Chinese writing lessons among the many good ideas for fundraising.“

To read Thomas’ full story and find out how you can help this worthy charity, click here.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Haiti

I had mentioned something about this on the Haiti thread, but Yung Apprentice deleted it, probably because it got so catty. WTF was up with that?
    Jackie Chan donates to Chinese peacekeepers
    17:21, January 21, 2010

Famous film star Jackie Chan announced January 20 that he will donate 5 million yuan to Chinese peacekeeping troops and family members of 8 Chinese peacekeepers who lost their lives during the Haiti earthquake in order to express his sympathy to the family members of the dead, and to show respect to Chinese peacekeeping policemen.

Chan added that with the approval from relevant departments, 2 million yuan of the donation will be transferred to the family members of the peacekeepers who died in Haiti through the funeral committee for Chinese peacekeepers who were dispatched by the Ministry of Public Security to Haiti.

250,000 yuan will be transferred to each family and the remaining 3 million yuan will be given directly to China's peacekeeping troops for Chinese peacekeeping policemen's peacekeeping activities, military residence reconstruction, and local disaster relief work.

By People's Daily Online
    Click below for vid.
    by Jessica Beaton, Shanghai Editor
    20 January, 2010
    Jackie Chan records "To Welcome You Home" (接你回家)

Jackie Chan records a song in honor of eight Chinese police officers killed in the Haiti earthquake as their bodies are returned home

In this clip of "To Welcome You Home" (接你回家), in addition to a short interview with Jackie Chan, the TV station also shows footage of Chinese rescue workers in Haiti as well as the return of the Chinese peace keepers to China. (Youku video)

Eight Chinese police officers lost their lives there in the earthquake in Haiti last week. As their bodies were returned to China, news of a song by Jackie Chan about the earthquake written for the fallen peacekeepers was announced. The song is titled "To Welcome You Home" (接你回家).

Danwei reports that Jackie Chan teamed up with Tan Jing, a singer from the PLA Song and Dance Ensemble, to record "To Welcome You Home" (接你回家).
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More from Jackie

Right now, I'm most interested in his work with WildAid. The Tiger Claw Foundation is supporting WildAid for this year, the year of the tiger.
    Jackie Chan Named In Top Charity Givers List
    March 8, 2010 by Tim Saunders

LookToTheStars.org congratulates Jackie Chan for being named as one of the most philanthropic people in Asia.

The star has been named as one of the 48 most philanthropic people by Forbes Asia for his work with the Jackie Chan Charitable Foundation – founded in 1988 to help young people in a variety of worthy causes, including medical services, aid to victims of natural disaster or illness, scholarships and youth activities – and the Dragon's Heart Charity, which strives to meet the needs of poverty-stricken children and the elderly in the hardest-to-reach areas of the immense country. Chan has made several trips to villages in these remote locations, bringing warm clothing, wheelchairs and school supplies, and helping to build schools.

LookToTheStars.org talked to Jackie in 2007 about his work with the charities: “I’m very lucky to be able to help children who are suffering the the world. Since I am Ambassador for UNICEF and UNAIDS, I am able to help raise interest in the problems that children face. Plus I am involved with my own charities here in Asia – the Dragon’s Heart Charity and the Jackie Chan Charitable Foundation. There are so many problems for children! Sometimes I feel that I just can’t do enough for them – as soon as I solve the problem of one group, I notice that another group is suffering. I try, but it’s never enough.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

This is for profit, but a green cause

Few people in America understand how much Jackie is worth. He has a very diversified portfolio in Asia.
    Brammo and Hollywood Legend Jackie Chan Join Forces for Asian Distribution Deal

Partnership extends global presence of the Brammo Enertia to Hong Kong and Singapore

ASHLAND, Ore., March 15 /PRNewswire/ -- Brammo Inc., maker of electric motorcycles, announced today that it has formed a partnership with JCAM Advanced Mobility Company Ltd., the Hong Kong-based electric vehicle distribution company co-founded by superstar Jackie Chan.

The deal will have Jackie Chan's award-winning company sell the Brammo electric motorcycle product line in Hong Kong and Singapore beginning in early to mid-2010.

"Partnering with a global film and business icon like Jackie Chan further validates the Brammo brand -- much like our U.S. partnership with retailer Best Buy -- as being an innovator in both product development and retail distribution," said Brammo Founder and CEO, Craig Bramscher. "We expect great results with JCAM and look forward to a long partnership and many satisfied customers in the markets they serve."

"When I first saw early pictures of the Enertia I really liked it," said Jackie Chan. "Now that it is here, I love it! From the very beginning I knew this was going to be something really special."

"This is the beginning of something new for JCAM and we are very excited," said JCAM Managing Director, Matt McGuire. "We have been speaking with Brammo about this opportunity for almost two years during which time we have been able to realize the heights of their vision and the capabilities of their team to achieve this vision. Then, the first Enertia arrived in Asia, and we were in awe. The Enertia powercycle is one of the most incredible EVs we have experienced BY FAR and has the capability to change the culture of the industry."

Brammo's first product is the Enertia, a 100% fully-electric motorcycle built in Ashland, Oregon. It has been put on the market at select Best Buy stores since August 2009. The Enertia, priced in the United States at $7995, has a top speed of over 60 miles per hour (95 km/h), a range of 42 miles (68 kilometers) and a charging time of about 4 hours. Fans and media can follow Brammo on Twitter at BrammoSays and on its Facebook fan page, Brammo Powercycles.

About Brammo

Brammo Inc. (www.brammo.com) is a premier specialty vehicle manufacturer developing sustainable performance products for the next generation of transportation. Through integration of digital engineering and high-impact design, Brammo transforms ideas into compelling products. The Enertia is a plug-in electric motorcycle, the first in a line of electric vehicles that are sold through select Best Buy stores. The Enertia was designed, engineered and is built at Brammo's headquarters located in Ashland, Oregon. The company was founded in 2002 and is privately held.

About JCAM

JCAM Advanced Mobility Company Ltd. (JCAM) is a Hong Kong-based vehicle distribution company established in 2005. Co-founded by megastar Jackie Chan, its primary business focus is to identify, qualify, and market zero-emissions products. Within the first four years of operation, JCAM has grown into a company with diverse and growing business interests in sustainable transportation. Operating in six countries, JCAM is a winner of Hong Kong Business' High-Flyers Outstanding Enterprises Award (Modern Alternative Technology).

JCAM works closely with groups that are critical to a successful cultural change, transforming society from conventional combustion-driven vehicles to electric vehicles (EVs) and other "green" options. By collaborating with vehicle manufacturers, local regulators and end-user groups, JCAM aims to lead the way in building desirability, credibility, and reliability for environmentally-conscious innovation, and prepare for the onset of a green transportation evolution.
    Here's also something about his charity work.
    Monday March 15, 2010
    Voicing their support
    Charity hero

Hong Kong action star Jackie Chan, 55, is a Unicef and Unaids Goodwill Ambassador. He is founder of Jackie Chan Charitable Founda*tion, which helps young people in a variety of worthy causes, including the provision of medical services and aid to victims of natural disasters and Dragon’s Heart Foun*dation, which strives to meet the needs of poverty-stricken children and the elderly in the hardest-to-reach areas of China. Magna*nimous Chan also helped to rebuild a village after the devastating tsunami hit Banda Acheh in 2004. Although its official name is Friendship Village of Indonesia-China, most people there refer to it as the “Jackie Chan village”.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

$5 mil in 3 hours

Now that's real kung fu.
    Jackie Chan Raises More Than $5 Million for Singapore Medical Institution
    By Lauren Le Vine | Wednesday, March 24, 2010 7:20 AM ET

The movie star once again proved he's a true man of action when he helped a medical center raise over $5 million in 3 hours.

In the film roles that have made him famous, Jackie Chan is known for taking swift action when a problem arises. It turns out that the actor is no different in his personal life, although the action being taken is more of a symbolic effort than a physical fight. Tonic has previously reported on Chan's numerous philanthropic efforts: He's raised money for Haiti, filmed a PSA to aid a little girl in need of a bone marrow transplant and serves as a UNICEF cultural ambassador. Chan recently upped his humanitarian efforts even more to help a medical center in Singapore in desperate need of donations.

In just three hours of performing and entertaining the crowd at a fundraiser at the Singapore Thong Chai Medical Institution, Jackie Chan managed to raise $5.2 million dollars. Yes, you read that correctly. Over five million dollars ... in three hours. (Someone get this man in to fix our economy!) How'd he do it? According to Chan's website, "[The] actor went all out for the cause, distributing flowers, taking photos with kids, and helping wheel a patient. ... The star made a grand entrance ... by somersaulting onto the stage."

And once he was on the stage, don't think Jackie Chan just stood idly by. This is a man who takes his charity-head duties seriously. Chan shared that he had first heard about the free clinic from a patient and then invited his close friend and fellow philanthropist Wakin Chau to perform with him. The duo sang hits like "Friends," "Understand My Heart" and "Nothing Will Stop Me From Loving You." Jackie Chan also performed an emotional rendition of "Believe in Yourself" for a 31-year-old patient.

Despite the final song that brought the actor to tears, Chan's website reports that the actor returned to his usual bright spirits and spent time mingling with children who were performing backstage. The actor's star power helped turn the evening into a success beyond the medical center's wildest dreams. We hope the 142-year-old center can get the upgrades it needs as soon as possible thanks to the help from their action hero.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Conserving water

Jackie Chan Jets in Singing to Boost Telethon
    Jackie Chan's charity work and causes
    April 6, 2010 by Myrlia Purcell

Action hero Jackie Chan is once again flying through the air at high-speed to save the day.

Chan flew from the U.S. to Beijing on Saturday, April 3rd, and immediately recorded a song to raise money for people suffering from the devastating drought in southwestern China. He performed the song at a fundraising event that evening, helping to raise $29 million for victims.

Joining him at Saturday’s fundraising event were stars from the Chinese mainland, Hong Kong and Taiwan, including Jiang Wenli, Na Ying, Andy Lau, Elva Hsiao and Chyi Yu. Some of the stars performed, while others volunteered to answer phones and collect pledges.

The severe drought has been plaguing Guizhou, Sichuan, Yunnan, Guangxi and Chongqing, leaving 18 million people without adequate water.

Jackie has been an advocate of water conservation for many years. Once when filming in an area with little water, he gave a child a piece of ice. The child had never seen ice before, and, frightened, threw it on the ground.

At a song dedication ceremony for the “Water Cellar for Mothers” project, held on April 4th by the All-China women’s Federation, Jackie said, “This theme song calls for families and wealthy people in large cities to be more conservative with using water; it calls for people to be more aware of the regions that are short of water – the remote areas in the country. And I knew, without a second thought, that I needed to promote the cause.”

Jackie also told everyone a short story, "A while back, when I was visiting Will Smith’s house, before I left, I took all the unfinished water bottles to the backyard. Will Smith asked me what I was doing, and I told him that we need to conserve water. Afterward, Will said to me that he’s going to do what I did and conserve water."
    Funny story (and clever name drop).
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jackie is going super green

He's actually been campaigning for green cause since Gorgeous (1993) - remember he was a recycling baron in that film? That was also the film that introduced us to Brad Allen and look at him now, choreographing Kick Ass.
    Chan's green dream for a parched frontier
    * Source: Global Times
    * [00:00 April 07 2010]
    By Xu Liuliu

International film and pop star Jackie Chan donated 100 trees to the Green Tree Program last Friday in an effort to expand the forested area of southwest China—a goal made all the more urgent by the region's severe drought.

The Green Tree Program, a joint initiative of the China Green Foundation and carmaker BMW, aims to plant a forest covering an area of about 1,200 mu (0.8 km2) in the Ba'nan District of Chongqing, near the Yangtze River. "This bare hill used to be covered with green forest, but a sudden forest fire ruined it," said Yang Jiping, chairman of China Green Foundation, while showing journalists at a press conference a batch of photos taken at Ba'nan. "Our aim is to turn the hill green again in three years."

As the program's sponsor, BMW has called on its car owners to donate as much as they can, hoping to enlarge the forest to a total area of 10,000 mu (6.7 km2)—and Chan was the first owner to answer the call.

"Environmental protection requires us to do things bit by bit. I hope other owners can join the program as I do," said Chan, who flew directly from the United States to donate the trees.

BMW also promised to match each car owners' donation tree-for-tree, in order to increase awareness of and motivation for the initiative.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jackie @ 56

If it wasn't for Jackie, I wouldn't even know about the China drought.
    08 April 2010 12:46
    Jackie Chan - Chan's Charitable Birthday Celebration

Action hero JACKIE CHAN celebrated his 56th birthday on Wednesday (07Apr10) by raising money for those affected by a drought in China.

The martial arts star gathered friends and family to mark his special day with a big bash, where he handed out presents and invited the Tibetan band Ajia to perform.

Instead of handing him gifts, Chan's pals contributed $47,500 (£32,000) to a charity fund to help residents in China's southwest Yunnan province, who are suffering from a severe water shortage - and the actor generously offered to match the money raised.

In posts on his Twitter.com page, Chan writes, "Everybody told me to make a wish. My wish is for world peace... For my birthday party, all my friends donated a total of $325,000 RMB (Chinese yuan) for the drought in Yunnan. I will donate the same & help out the world!"
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Once again, Jackie is on it.

Our Qinghai quake thread.
    Quake Relief in Action: Movie star Jackie Chan donates 3 mln yuan to quake victims
    14:19, April 19, 2010

Hong Kong action movie star Jackie Chan Sunday announced a cash donation of 3 million yuan (439,477 U.S. dollars) to quake victims in northwest China's Qinghai Province.

Chan and Taiwanese actress Vivian Hsu flew from Xining, capital of Qinghai, to the quake-hit Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture of Yushu on Sunday.

Chan also donated 1,500 boxes of biscuits, 700 cotton coats and 100 boxes of bottled water. Hsu donated 1,000 cotton-padded quilts.

The 7.1-magnitude quake that struck Yushu Wednesday morning has left at least 1,706 dead, 256 missing and 12,128 injured, as of 10 a.m. Sunday.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips