Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jackie’s Charity work

Why has no one mentioned Fearless Hyena????

"I am Willow Sword!"
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

This isn't charity work exactly...

...maybe I should re-title this Jackie's extracurricular work or Jackie's causes...

Chan helps ice piracy in China
    Actor to be featured on antipiracy magnets
    By CLIFFORD COONAN
    BEIJING -- Hong Kong thesp Jackie Chan will be featured on 200,000 antipiracy refrigerator magnets to be distributed by the Motion Picture Assn. and China Film Copyright Protection Assn. in China.

The magnets will be given to film fans who buy authentic copies of "Perfect Stranger," "The Bourne Ultimatum" and "No Reservations."

The magnets feature a message from Chan, a legend on the mainland, thanking buyers for protecting the film industry by choosing not to buy a pirated pic.

Also backing the campaign is Amazon.com's China operation, Amazon.cn (also known as Joyo.com).

Amazon.cn, the largest online vendor for books, music and video in China, plans to advertise the campaign on its website for the first month and will publicize the campaign in a newsletter distributed to millions of its customers.

The MPA reckons that in 2005, its members lost $6.1 billion to worldwide piracy, with piracy across the Asia-Pacific region accounting for $1.2 billion of that figure.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Life is too good

Extra credit to anyone who can find a vid clip of the ad...

China launches TV AIDS awareness campaign to promote safe sex
    www.chinaview.cn 2007-12-06 20:07:33

BEIJING, Dec. 6 (Xinhua) -- China launched a large-scale television public service announcement campaign, produced by Oscar-winners and featuring superstars such as Jackie Chan, on Thursday to promote safe sex and combat HIV/AIDS.

Hundreds of millions of members of the public will see the television campaign on TV at home, on China Central Television, on the Internet, or on big screens at the airport, train stations and on buses, next year, with the help of commercial media outlets and advertisement sector partners.

The public service announcements, called "Life is Too Good", feature Jackie Chan, Chinese renowned actor Pu Cunxin and one of the most famous Chinese sopranos Peng Liyuan.

As an "ambitious AIDS awareness campaign", the TV advertisements were created by Ruby Yang and Thomas Lennon (who together won Best Documentary Oscar 2006), with the Ministry of Health (MOH), and distributed by the United Nation's Development Programme (UNDP).

Lennon, the producer of the public service announcement series, told reporters that, "Public discussion of condoms and safer sex is difficult; that's true in China, just as it is in every country in the world."

According to an earlier report on the country's AIDS situation released by the MOH, sex has become the main channel of contracting the HIV virus.

The report said among 50,000 cases of newly contracted HIV/AIDS in the past year, more than half contracted the virus through unsafe sex.

Pu, who has made a great contribution to the public campaign about AIDS control and prevention, said condoms, a long-time taboo topic in China, was actually a "scientific breakthrough" that benefited the health of mankind.

Hundreds of millions of migrant workers have no "normal family life", Pu told reporter. "We should tell the public the significance of condoms," he said.

Pu became a MOH publicity member for HIV/AIDS prevention and control in 2000. Since then he has used his fame and influence to participate in various HIV educational campaigns.

The ads show Pu's lyrical bicycle journey through a modern Chinese city passing several young lovers on the street, and leading folk singer Peng Liyuan congratulates young graduates who celebrate their last day of high school. They remind people, "Condoms reduce risk. Please protect yourself."

The last act show action film master Jackie Chan preparing his cast and crew for a dangerous stunt -- a good movie needs danger, he explains, but in life, "we need to be safe", he told people.

Though the rate of AIDS growth has slowed, the government has admitted the situation "remains grave". Official reports say there are estimated to be as many as 700,000 people living with HIV/AIDS in China, a country with a population of 1.3 billion.

Subinay Nandy, UNDP China Country Director, said the public awareness campaign and multi-sector partnership demonstrates willingness in China to address HIV issues.

Participating media companies in the campaign include Air Media, Beijing City TV Media, EPIN Media Holdings Ltd., Towona Mobile Media, and www.56.com which is China's largest online video-sharing site.

Over 1.5 million visitors have already viewed the ads on the 56.com website since their debut on Nov. 30, according to the website operator. The website has over 20 million registered users aged between 18 and 30.

By donating air time on their video advertisement platforms worth over 1.5 million. U.S. dollars, hundreds of millions of people are expected to view the ads every month over the next year.

Yang and Lennon won the Oscar for Best Documentary -- Short Subject at the 2006 Academy Awards for their documentary "The Blood of Yingzhou District" about children orphaned by AIDS in a poor village in east China's Anhui Province.

They also produced two AIDS campaigns on Chinese television, featuring Yao Ming and Magic Johnson (2004) and Peng Liyuan (2006).
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpCQ_zdfP5Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdBG4gRBHTY
    I have no idea what he's saying, so the explosions seem out of place.....

Bo & Jackie

I went to a presentation on sharks with Peter Benchley (author of Jaws) - that was through connections I retained through Jackie when I did some work with ACAP for Tiger preservation (see earlier post). I made me give up eating shark fin soup, which I loved. But I love sharks more.

BO DEREK - CHAN JOINS DEREK TO SAVE THE SHARKS

Actress BO DEREK has recruited action man JACKIE CHAN to her campaign to stop wildlife traffickers around the world. The 10 star has become a keen conservation activist after learning the sharks of the Galapagos Islands have become a target of poachers for their fins. Speaking on CNN show Larry King Live, Derek says, "When I first visited the Galapagos Islands Marine Reserve, I expected to see an untouched paradise. While it is still beautiful to the naked eye, behind the scenes, all is not well. "While there, I learned that the famous sharks of the Galapagos were under siege for their fins. "According to the Galapagos National Park Service, up to 10,000 fins have been seized, and they are mercilessly hacked off the shark and shipped to Asia to make shark fin soup. "I was charmed by the playfulness of the fearless and friendly sea lions I swam with. I learned that they, too, are sometimes slaughtered so they can be used as bait for the shark finners. "It made me realise that even the most remote wilderness is now touched by the global economy - in this case, the demand for products derived from protected wildlife." Derek has since teamed up with San Francisco-based conservation organisation, WildAid, to help in their effort to stop wildlife traffickers, and she has asked Rush Hour star Chan for his help in China. She adds, "Reaching China's 1.2 billion people is no easy task, but by recruiting the likes of Jackie Chan... and, with the support of Chinese state media, we are reaching nearly half the Chinese population with TV messaging."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

no good deed goes unpunished

Here Jackie is doing a good deed and the media's only response is to bring up a sex scandal.

Jackie Chan Offers Aid For China Snowstorm Victims
    9 February 2008
    Emma Lam

To show his support for victims of the snowstorms in mainland China, Jackie Chan (成龍) showed his charitable nature today, joining forces with The Outdoor Shop (羽絨城) to present 400 down jackets to the Salvation Army to transport to the affected population.

The Salvation Army support workers will be taking their collection of donations to the three affected areas of Xiangxi and Yongzhou in Hunan province and also Anhui Province and distributing them to those in need.

Jackie revealed that this is the 13th year in which he has made donations to the Salvation Army.

Asked if he has heard about the recent sex photo scandal that has rocked Hong Kong's entertainment industry, Jackie said that he does not know anything and added that the media should pay more attention to more positive news because the victims of the disaster in China also need the coverage, so that they are brought to the attention of the public.

As for how he felt about the scandal, Jackie said that the media should not force the public into looking at these pictures and added that he is not in a position to comment any futher. Asked about the recent news that pictures of Edison Chen (陳冠希)'s current girlfriend Vincy Yeung (楊永晴) have been released, Jackie asked the reporters who Vincy was. When he was told that she is the daughter of Ricky Yeung (楊超成), brother of EEG boss Albert Yeung (楊受成), Jackie seemed uncomfortable and wanted to leave.

As he left, Jackie said that he will be quite busy in the near future because he will be filming some promotional clips for the Olympic Games equestrian events, that will be held in Hong Kong. He revealed that he will be doing some horse-riding and also going to Athens to help with the delivery of the Olympic flame.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

so he helping people and they ask him about somthing that has nothing to do with him. what kind of bull**** is that.

not really charity...

...but it seemed as good a place as any to put this.
    Spotlight on Olympics for Jackie Chan
    Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:26pm IST
    By James Pomfret

HONG KONG (Reuters Life!) - Hong Kong action star Jackie Chan will take a break from movies this year to promote the Beijing Olympics, and hopes the Games will inspire today's cyber-age Chinese kids to lead more active lives.

As a goodwill envoy for the Beijing Olympics, Chan has devoted himself this past year to promoting the Games, taking part in activities ranging from running with the Olympic torch in Greece to recording a countdown song.

He has also appeared in Olympic-themed commercials for credit card firm Visa, alongside Chinese basketball star Yao Ming.

"The Olympics isn't just about sport. It encompasses love, solidarity and a kind of spirit," the star of Hollywood films such as "Rush Hour" and "Rumble in the Bronx" told Reuters.

"This year, most of my time will be spent on promoting the Olympics," said Chan. "I'll have less time for films."

While Kung Fu may be more his thing, Chan's zeal recently saw him pull on horse-riding boots and hat for a video promoting Hong Kong's role in the Olympics this summer, with Beijing having switched equestrian events to the city after it failed to establish a disease-free zone for horses.

"See you in Hong Kong 2008, Olympic equestrian co-host city," said Chan, clad in full riding gear while holding the reins of a dark horse called "Fortune Tycoon", as the cameras rolled.

Chan, a horse owner and enthusiast, who has ridden horses in films such as "The Myth", was filmed at the Hong Kong Jockey Club's Beas River country club, which will host some of the former British colony's equestrian events during the Games.

Hong Kong is one of only a handful of Chinese cities to stage Olympic events outside of Beijing. The coastal city of Qingdao is another and will host some watersports events.

Hong Kong officials are hoping to cash in on its Olympic role by drawing more tourists and boosting the city's aspirations to become an entertainment hub in Asia.

"It's a golden opportunity for us to promote Hong Kong as an events capital and ... we'll try our very best to try and boost the short-term arrivals during the event," said Kenneth Wong, the head of consumer marketing at the Hong Kong Tourism Board.

Chan, who was trained in martial arts and acrobatics as a child and started his career as a stunt-man, also hopes the Olympic spirit will rub off on the current crop of Chinese and Hong Kong kids.

"In this age, it's necessary to do more to promote sports, so that children don't just sit at home and play computer games ... we need to do more to promote sports (as) sports can nurture more love and understanding between people,

"In the past, all I did every day was sport, sport and more sport. We didn't even know how to switch on a computer," Chan added with a laugh.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More on Jackie and Olympic horseys

I never knew he was into horses...
    Jackie Chan promotes Olympic equestrian event
    www.chinaview.cn 2008-02-14 10:12:07

BEIJING, Feb. 14 -- Jackie Chan saddled up for a video to promote the 2008 Olympics' equestrian event.

In this photo released by the Hong Kong Tourism Board, Hong Kong action movie star Jackie Chan poses while riding a horse Monday, Feb. 11, 2008, during the filming of an advertisement for the Hong Kong Tourism Board to promote the 2008 Olympics' equestrian event to be held in Hong Kong. (Photo: China Daily/Agencies)

In the 30-second video, the 53-year-old "Rush Hour" star urges audiences to visit his hometown of Hong Kong to watch the event and introduces various local tourist sites, Mayee Tang, a spokeswoman for the Hong Kong Tourism Board, which is producing the video, said Wednesday.

Chan recorded the dialogue in both English and Mandarin Chinese, and the video was to be aired in mainland China and foreign markets, Tang said.

Photos posted on Chan's official website show the action star sitting on a horse, resplendent in riding gear, including a black helmet, black suit jacket, white tie and black boots.

Chan's video, shot Monday, highlights efforts to promote one of the Olympics' more low-profile events.

The Hong Kong Jockey Club has spent about 100 million U.S. dollars on upgrading existing venues and building new ones for the Olympic equestrian competition, which will take place Aug. 9 to Aug. 20.

In other promotional efforts for the 29th Olympics, Chan also recorded the event's official one-year countdown song, "We Are Ready."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Karate legend?

Jackie Chan Science Centre?
    Karate legend a big kick for our tourism
    By Ben Packham March 10, 2008 12:00am

KARATE legend Jackie Chan could soon be selling Australia in China as a favour to Kevin Rudd.

Chan dined with the PM at the weekend, together with the Chinese and US ambassadors.

"I've known Kevin for a few years," Chan said yesterday. "Last night before he left, I said whenever he calls, I'll be there."

Over dinner, they discussed the environment, Chinese-Australian relations and "some secret I cannot say yet", Chan said.

The hugely popular movie star would be invaluable in promoting Australia in the world's most populous nation.

Chan is already a tourism ambassador for the Pacific region, including Australia.

He was in Australia for the funeral of his father, a former US embassy chef and a Canberra resident for more than 46 years.

Yesterday he attended the opening of the Jackie Chan Science Centre, which he helped establish, at the Australian National University.
    Martial arts star gives something back to father's town
    Action hero Jackie Chan hams it up with Kevin Rudd at the opening of the science centre Chan has funded at the ANU.
    Jewel Topsfield, Canberra
    March 10, 2008

WHAT do cult kung fu action hero Jackie Chan and Prime Minister Kevin Rudd have in common?

"A lot", according to the PM — and apparently it's not their mutual fondness for innovative stunts, their comic timing, their acting ability or even their fluency in Mandarin.

"No, we're not both movie stars. No, I'm terrible at martial arts," Mr Rudd told a bemused media pack at the opening of the Jackie Chan Science Centre at the Australian National University yesterday.

Describing the international star of the Rush Hour franchise and The Tuxedo as a "good friend", Mr Rudd said they had both worked as builders' labourers in Canberra in the 1970s.

"He did the work of three men for one year. I lasted for 24 hours," said Mr Rudd, who said he had dined with Chan the night before.

(For a man who has admitted he was not cool at school, Mr Rudd has a Tony Blairesque penchant for hanging out with celebrities, including Nicole Kidman and Hugh Jackman — whose Wolverine character, wags suggest, was the inspiration for the PM's longer sideburns.)

Chan, whose father lived for four decades in Canberra, had a brief stint as a brickie in the national capital after his first martial art films flopped in Hong Kong and he struggled to find work as a stunt man.

According to the BBC, a fellow construction worker named Jack took Chan under his wing. Although Chan's real name was Chan Kong Sang, the pair were jokingly referred to as Big Jack and Little Jack on site.

Over time, Little Jack became Jackie, the name that finally stuck and became known worldwide.

"Jackie was a resident of the city, therefore we regard him as one of Australia's and Canberra's own," Mr Rudd said.

The action hero and the PM then demonstrated another shared trait — shameless pandering to the media — as they posed kung fu style with arms outstretched and fists clenched.

A day after attending a memorial service for his father, Chan opened the eponymous centre, which displays the work of some of the university's best scientists and ongoing research.

"Canberra took care of my parents for 46 years," said Chan, who funded the centre. "It's about time I do something for Canberra."
    Martial arts star gives science a healthy kick along
    Once were labourers … Jackie Chan and his former workmate Kevin Rudd at the opening of the science education centre yesterday.
    Stephanie Peatling
    March 10, 2008

"AS MY father told me, say less, do more," the action movie star Jackie Chan said yesterday at the opening of the new science education centre that bears his name at the Australian National University in Canberra.

The advice came only after some welcoming remarks by the Prime Minister, Kevin Rudd, who pointed out he did not share with his "good friend" international movie star status and an excellent command of martial arts.

Nor did he share the sleek black suit and regulation action hero sunglasses. But the pair did share some work experience.

"In the 1970s in Canberra we both lived here and we were both builders' labourers. He did the work of three men for one year. I lasted for 24 hours," Mr Rudd said.

It was during his stint as a labourer that Chan was first dubbed Jackie.

A co-worker by the name of Jack kept an eye out for him and he became known as Little Jack.

The name stuck.

The Jackie Chan Science Centre will showcase the research of the John Curtin School of Medical Research at the Australian National University.

Chan made a donation to cancer research at the university in 2002 in memory of his late mother, Lee Lee Chan. Four years later another sizeable donation made the education centre a possibility.

Chan opened the centre the day after attending a memorial service for his father, Charlie, who died in a Hong Kong hospital last week, aged 93.

Mr and Mrs Chan moved to Canberra in 1962 to work at the US embassy and never left. "Canberra took care of my parents for 46 years," their son said yesterday. "It's about time I do something for Canberra."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Is cancer Jackie's new cause?

There's more on Lydia if you search.

Jackie's a hit with kids at cancer centre
    March 07, 2008 Print Ready

HE lost his friend Lydia Sum to cancer two weeks ago.

And just last week, his father died after struggling with prostate cancer at the age of 93.

Despite all that, Jackie Chan was the consummate professional at the new Viva-University Cancer Centre of the National University Hospital (NUH) at 9am yesterday.

Just like his on-screen characters, he was a picture of fun and smiles, when he met young cancer patients as part of his role as the Ambassador of Goodwill for the hospital's Viva Foundation for Children with Cancer.

The 53-year-old Hong Kong superstar conducted a hands-on martial arts lesson for 10 children, most of them patients at the cancer centre, demonstrating some basic kung fu moves and urging them to imitate him.

Of his ambassador role, Jackie said: 'I see young children suffering, with their hair falling out because of chemotherapy.

'It breaks my heart, and it does remind me of my father. So naturally, I have to help them.'

Having had two people close to him dying of cancer, Jackie has seen the effects of the illness first-hand.

Yet, he said both Lydia and his father never let their health get them down.

Of Lydia, Jackie said in Mandarin: 'She was our 'kai xin guo', our 'fruit of happiness'.

'She brought us decades of happiness. When you think of laughter, you immediately think of her.'

He added that his father's 'cancer spread very fast'.

'But at least he was happy when he passed away.'

At the hospital yesterday, the children enthusiastically exhibited their martial arts skills to the action star, proudly showing off their high kicks and punches.

Launched in May 2006, the Viva Foundation is a joint venture between St Jude Children's Research Hospital in Tennessee and NUH.

It aims to improve the survival rate and treatment of childhood cancer, particularly leukaemia, in the region.

This is Jackie's second visit to NUH. He was there last year too, as part of his ambassador role.

This time, Jackie also dropped by at the Cancer Centre's Day Therapy Unit to distribute goodie bags bearing the logo of his hit movie Rob-B-Hood.

Before his arrival in the ward, many of the children were chattering excitedly about getting to meet the superstar.

Exclamations of 'Jackie Chan is coming!' could be heard echoing around the room.

As Jackie made his way through the ward, they scrambled to get his autograph.

However, he was also frank in his limited capacity to help the children.

He quipped: 'Depend on me for entertainment, but depend on doctors for health.'

And judging by the laughter and smiles on the little ones' faces yesterday, that was more than enough.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

This isn't really charity work either

perhaps i should change the title to Jackie's Activism.

Jackie Chan campaigns against piracy
    Published: April 22, 2008 at 9:10 PM

BEIJING, April 22 (UPI) -- Martial arts mega-celebrity Jackie Chan is putting his star power to work against film piracy in China, an industry executive says.

The huge billboard in Beijing's Silk Market has Chan saying: "Protect the movies, say NO to piracy." The billboard was joint effort of the Beijing Silk Street Co. and Chaoyang Model Anti-Copyright Infringement and Piracy-Free Zone, the Daily Variety reported Tuesday.

The Hong Kong actor's message is expected to reach more than 20 million people in the two weeks it will be up. The Silk Market is a shopping area once known for its counterfeit goods, including pirated DVDs.

"Chan's message to Beijing's citizens is direct and simple," said Mike Ellis, MPA's regional president and managing director.

The MPA recently announced the winners in a copyright protection-themed student film contest and last week signed an agreement with the seven most popular Chinese Web sites to promote copyright protection for U.S. movies.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Again, not really charity work...

...but it has a nice pic of Jackie with a kwan dao.

Jackie Chan Promotes Hong Kong Tourism
    2008-07-03 18:59:40

Kung Fu star Jackie Chan was featured in a new announcement for Hong Kong Tourism Board on Wednesday as a tourism ambassador.

Xinhua News Agency reported that Jackie Chan displayed some Kung Fu movies under the scorching sun, while wearing three layers of Kung Fu attire.

The filming attracted many passers-by for a glimpse of the superstar.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

OK, this is charity again - we're back OT

It's also a Forbidden Kingdom promo.
    Jackie Chan attends Tokyo charity premiere for Sichuan quake victims
    Thursday 10th July, 07:37 AM JST
    By Taro Fujimoto
    TOKYO —

Hong Kong action star Jackie Chan, 54, on Wednesday night attended the charity Japan premiere of his latest film “Forbidden Kingdom” (Japanese title “Dragon Kingdom”) in Tokyo. Chan said, “We received a lot of donations from Japan. I really thank you from the bottom of my heart. It’s not about how much you donated. Every donation is helpful.”

About 1,378,000 yen was raised from the 2,000 yen admission fee paid by each member of the audience to attend the premiere. The money will be donated to survivors of the Sichuan earthquake in China through the Jackie Chan Charitable Foundation.

Chan will also hold a charity auction for earthquake relief aid in Miyagi and Iwate Prefectures. His original jacket and calabash used in the film, which symbolize his kung-fu action style, will be auctioned by Rakuten from July 20.

Director Rob Minkoff, 45, and Japanese celebrity Misako Yasuda, 26, also attended the premiere. The film will be released from July 26 nationwide.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

anti-charity

read carefully.

Violence Must Only Be Used To Make Hundreds Of Millions Of Dollars
    By Jackie Chan
    August 13, 2008 | Issue 44•33

Whenever I'm paid $200,000 to demonstrate my martial arts abilities and give a short speech to a gathering of young people, I always speak about the same thing: the epidemic of violence we see in our society today. Why do so many kids think using their fists is the answer to all of life's problems? Where do they get these ideas? That's why I'm using my status as the world's most famous martial arts movie star to teach children an important lesson.

Never, ever take a fist to another person unless you're profiting handsomely from it.

I was a child once, and I know what it's like to want to settle your differences with a fight. There were many times I dreamed about giving a swift roundhouse kick to the bullies who tormented me. And I could have, too. I was trained. Ready. But when I entered the Peking Opera School to learn kung fu, my master Yu Jim Yuen told me that the true warrior must never strike first. He must sit and wait—at least until he has secured a three-picture deal with Warner Bros. and has fully developed his persona as a highly marketable, family-friendly Bruce Lee.

Only then can you justly throw a large jug to someone to catch and then kick them in the face, shattering the jug, and their face.

I recall one bully who used to taunt me when I was growing up in Hong Kong. He would call me horrible names and try to egg me on, but I always stuck to my principles. "My friend, I have no quarrel with you," I would say. "I will not fight you unless I'm given $5 million up-front, 3 percent on the back end, and first rights to star in any sequels."

The bully would beat me soundly, of course, but there's a lesson here: Unless you're getting a good cut of the profits, you must turn the other cheek. If and only if the person fighting you is a trained martial artist or an actor, and only if you're on the set of your 12th blockbuster film and your performers' union is not on strike, only then should you grab hold of your enemy's arm, spin him and swing him around behind you to take out five other extras playing henchmen, slide down a tapestry, crash through a glass wall, quip a disarming one-liner, and finally set your sights on taking down the mafia boss character who is trying to turn your native village into a lucrative casino.

Remember: The wise fighter knows that violence may only need to be used once in an entire lifetime, especially if you have a good agent and can make sure the studio is giving you at least what they're paying Chris Tucker.

Using force should be avoided at all costs, so it is important to pursue all of your options when faced with an opponent. If they strike you in the stomach, try to talk it out. If they kick your chest, suggest taking some time apart to cool off before coming together to work through your differences. And if they have stolen a Ukrainian warhead, and you catch up to them at an abandoned warehouse, and they start throwing tables and chairs and anything in the vicinity at you, and the director has said, "Action," consider grabbing a nearby stepladder, swinging it around your back, and roundhousing them all in the face with its legs before twirling it around your neck, throwing the ladder up in the air to land over the biggest guy, and—while he's disoriented—punching him through the rungs. At least, that is what has always worked for me.

Sadly, I have seen many a young man fall victim to an obsession with his own power. This is why one must be always wary of self- serving thoughts. You may have a swift right hand and foot, and be able to knock your foe to the ground with just one punch, but what will you do when he rises up against you with three or four others? If you meditate on this, you will see the error. You have involved yourself in a group battle, and no one is filming it. You may have won the fight, but you have lost millions in box-office receipts, DVD sales, action-figure licensing deals, maybe even a very popular series of video games.

There is no honor in violence that doesn't make $67 million its opening weekend.

For now, I will leave you with this thought. If I have learned anything from my long and profitable career as a martial artist, it is that spitting a mouthful of industrial alcohol onto an opponent wielding a hot glass rod to make him catch on fire—even if it's being filmed for your smash hit, Drunken Master II—is wrong.

You should save a move that good for later in your career, when you're an established name and can command a larger percentage of the box-office gross.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips