Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yip Man's Teaching Method

Cobra Commander sez

etc etc so it makes it hard to put the mind 100% behind Wing Chun class.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ((Answer from who grew up in Cobra country. Depends on priorities. Am a very busy person but I make time for wing chun- made time daily for 30 years withouta break.
    But- I dont watch, Desperate housewives, American Idol, Paula Zahn, Presidential broadcasts, dont eat at Mc Donalds and not pusuing a Mercedes, hardly use credit cards...though struggle with passing up first class lunches and suffering fools.
    Solving wing chun puzzles...angles, lines, energy flows, timings, combinations, footwork- keeps the art fascinating. One makes time for one's love, me thinks.))

joy chaudhuri

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra Commander
    Yeah we live in a fastfood society where everything we want we want it quickly and right away. Even I have to overcome this mentality somedays.

I find it to be very hard train 5 days a week in class over here in North America. I wonder if they still focus 8 hour/5-6 days a week in martial arts training in other parts of the world.

I know for a fact over here in North America, a lot of us are juggling with rent, school, mortgage, depts, tuition, etc etc so it makes it hard to put the mind 100% behind Wing Chun class. We are so rushed to get results over in our Western society that we sometimes forget that Wing Chun existed in a time and place before Western society even existed, where patience and day to day applications were the main key to success.
    It's funny, but the entire world is hurtling towards a post-industrial, disposable goods economy where none of us have time for much of anything but to buy more things that will help us...buy more things. In the major cities of China, everyone is so busy working that few committ themselves to disciplined, progressive training in a martial art.

Most young people, in fact, are trying to learn English and develop skills that will translate to money and jobs, quite like the American model.

The days when you can selflessly devote yourself to a ten hour day practice of your chosen art form are rapidly closing. There are too many distractions and too many demands on the modern man.

Im Calmer now. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti
    One makes time for one's love, me thinks.))
    Im with Joy on this one.

We seemed to have strayed from the point a little IMO.

The point of my post was to say that 'the students' that 'didnt' dedicate themselves as much as others, the ones that may have paid for kung fu (not learnt) the ones that were all about anything but being good at Kung Fu and fighting.....

Seem to be the students, that make individuals question Gm Ip's teaching methods, where as i see the reasons / blame laying with those individuals and not with Gm Ips teaching methods.

Also these students IMO, put thier own stamp on VT (which is fine !) but sell it as Ip Mans VT (which is not fine, nor fair).

At the end of the day - im not like some out there that want to blame Gm Ip for "this and that" i appreciate that im able to learn VT Kung Fu from my Sifu who lucky for me didnt think the same way as Gm Ip and taught a NON chinesse.
    Training is the pursuit of perfection - Fighting is settling for results - ME

Thats not VT

"This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to"- TOOL

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Its good to be the King - http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqmgJIJM98