Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Real Tai Chi?

Quote Originally Posted by tjqg
    I know some great Tai Chi fighters too, but they studied other martial arts before they studied Tai Chi.
    I never saw a person who can fight a boxer after yang style tai chi training.
    with chen style training, you may good at Fali or pushing hand, but you still can't fight a boxer.
    I have to disagree with you there. The problem is that if you stand up and trade punches with a boxer, you're going to get hit, and hit hard! A good TCC man doesn't do that, he wouldn't stand in a boxers stance and trade punches with a boxer, or even try to wrestle with a wrestler. I fooled around with a boxer some and I came in close, closed the gap, and once I had contact with his body, it became a different game.

Quote Originally Posted by yangyang
    Dude if you think Wong has got the TCC goods, you better think again. From what I read, he never even had a tai chi teacher, and taught himself application from a book. Wong is a kung fu guy, not really a TCC guy.
    I never said I thought he was a TCC guy. Just that if I get on a plane to go study with somebody it will be WKK. IMHO TCC is nothing special worth wasting time over.

Quote Originally Posted by neilhytholt
    I never said I thought he was a TCC guy. Just that if I get on a plane to go study with somebody it will be WKK. IMHO TCC is nothing special worth wasting time over.

Ok, my mistake.

I'm sorry you have had such a bad experience in TCC. To tell you the truth, your experience is nothing new. I know more than a few who have wasted many years and got nowhere. I think a lot of the problem is that there is just too many **** people teaching TCC that are not qualified to teach it. Too many people who have never had any martial training, but only theory. It's a very sad state of affairs today, this is why you see a lot of so-called TC people cross-training with other arts. I agree that TC isn't just about fighting, and has many other attributes worth studying for, but the martial side certainly seems to be more history than anything present. It's time for the real teachers to step up and expose their skills, and I mean in different formats - not just with other TC people. Furthermore, these teachers should open up and stop hiding everything. Secrets in this day and age is nonsense. It's hard enough do to this stuff even when someone shows it to you, so hiding and keeping parts of the art secret is just silly. I think TCC can still be turned back into a martial art if enough qualified people start teaching that way. May take a while though......

Quote Originally Posted by yangyang
    Ok, my mistake.

I'm sorry you have had such a bad experience in TCC. To tell you the truth, your experience is nothing new.
    I haven't wasted a lot of time with TCC. I have gone to a LOT of places, I have found a handful of places that do fighting. When analyzing the TCC fighting applications IMHO there is nothing there that isn't in longfist.

Therefore, I don't get what the big deal about TCC is. IMHO TCC is nothing but longfist + push-hands.

It is possible that I'm mistaken, so if anybody knows of great combat style teachers, please let me know. People keep reading a lot of stuff into the posts. I don't understand where they get this stuff.

ok, i have to weigh in here...
    taijiquan has both health and self-defense benefits. if one wants to train taijjiquan for health, then one should focus on doing forms, add some qigong, maybe some standing meditation. if one wants to learn self defense, then one should look for the applications to the postures in the forms and practice those with a partner, practice some push hands, and also spar from time to time. if one wants to learn to fight for sport, then one should look for a gym that trains this type of fighting.
    for me, i started training taijiquan just for something to do besides eat psychedelics--i had no idea what to expect. i found i liked it, and still do to this day. i also found that the self defense aspects were not always so easy to uncover, but they do exist. i am quite confident that i could defend myself if i had to. luckily i haven't had to do that.
    i really doubt that any of the people that i train with got into taiji to learn how to kick ass, but i don't doubt that we could if necessary.
    Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po
    You then walk backwards, forcing him off his feet and then drag him by the eye socket and lips. You can pull so hard that the lips tear away. You will never hear such screaming.

I want to know who is a real teacher on this site? Seems there are a few people who are serious then they turn out weird. Can anyone direct me to a real teacher on here?