Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: do you Chan/zen dating?

OT: do you Chan/zen dating?

I was reading the epoc time.

There was an article reporting that Chan dating is popular nowadays.

So you just look at each other or sense each other across the table. there are no words or conversation.

If you like each other without words, you then move on to movie or concert.

Again, there are no word exchanges. You may sense each other if you like or do not like the movie or concert.

--

that is interesting.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

that is stupid....we aren't animals... we dont sense potentially ideal mates. we communicate. we hafta express our ideas and feelings to the outside world to interact with it.

anyhow sensing things only somewhat works with people your already familiar with...like knowing when your wife is ****ed and you should probably go out to the pub for a few hours.

i figure you'd hafta be the buddha himself for that to even come close to havin any benefits....

"better to reside in hell knowing the truth than to be blissfully ignorant in heaven."

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."- Doug Adams

I dare you to make less sense!

"Freeze?! You know if i drop the tooth fairy i'm only gettin' started mother****er!"

"It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

At least 75% of all communication is non-verbal. That being "said" you really can't tell anything about a person by looking at them expect their outward appearance. "She has nice cleveage, pretty eyes, full lips. Yep, I'd do her." That's a good message to send.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

I Zen f***pretty much every chick I see.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Not talking is a really bad idea. In fact, just regular dating is a really bad idea.

There's too much chance for deception. You don't know the person. You don't know if they lie, if they're a stalker, if they have STDs, if they plan on using you for money, if they're already going out with somebody else, etc. etc.

You probably shouldn't go out with somebody you already don't know pretty well.

ya, you should just get a job selling on ebay, get your gorceries delivered and never leave your house too.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

you lost me with the name of this and the whole thing in general but

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ
    I was reading the epoc time.

There was an article reporting that Chan dating is popular nowadays.

So you just look at each other or sense each other across the table. there are no words or conversation.

If you like each other without words, you then move on to movie or concert.

Again, there are no word exchanges. You may sense each other if you like or do not like the movie or concert.

--

That is very interesting though. There are so many times where you really don't want to talk, but with how much I ramble on, it would be hard to stick by it all the time, but neat little plan. Doubt the ladies would like it though.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

Quote Originally Posted by PangQuan
    ya, you should just get a job selling on ebay, get your gorceries delivered and never leave your house too.
    How did you know?

No, seriously, after decades of dating and marriage, the fact is that you won't know somebody very well at first, and they will hide things from you, and they will deceive you.

If you don't mind that, catching diseases in this day and age of STDs, the financial burden of deceitful relationships and spouses, etc., then nothing's stopping you from doing that.

It's your choice, I guess.

the article was arguing that we are living in a era of overflow of info input.

internet, cell phone, cable, satellite TV 24/7 etc

therefore some quiet time with the opposite sex may not be a bad idea.

Ironically, this is still better then arranged marriage of the old China.

Everything is said by both parents and the match.

Some indirect info about future spouse.

You sneak preview the girl in the back yard.

The first time you see the girl is at the wedding nite unveiling the head curtain.

There are also some drawn pictures or actual photoes.

--

Perhaps I'm a bit biassed

Between my main profession as a language teacher and my sideline work as a writer I am perhaps just slightly biassed but I find language to be an essential part of communication.

Is body language important? Yes.
    Can one do away with linguistic communication in some form and still have meaningful communication? Not in my opinion.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm all for lying quietly in bed, looking into the eyes of somebody I love dearly. I just don't think that the time for silence is when you first meet.

Then again I also have a bit of a knee jerk reaction to doubt the epoch times. If they were to publish an exposee that the sky was blue I'd probably go to the nearest window to check. And then reply with: "no, it's grey".
    Last edited by SimonM; 05-19-2006 at 07:50 AM.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ
    the article was arguing that we are living in a era of overflow of info input.

internet, cell phone, cable, satellite TV 24/7 etc

therefore some quiet time with the opposite sex may not be a bad idea.

It's not a bad idea. Turn off the cell-phone and have a nice dinner that focuses on conversation or take a walk in the park etc. When I go home, the cell-phone is turned off. I don't have a T.V. in the bedroom either as that place is for rest and, um, quality time with my wife; not for watching South Park.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    ha...you're still a newlywed dude...give it a few years and you'll be laying awake watching re-runs of bay watch while she snores.

MK has eye-raped the correct.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by FuXnDajenariht
    we aren't animals...
    then what are we?

vegetables?

minerals?

running out of choices...

we dont sense potentially ideal mates. we communicate.
    that's a nice idea...

too bad its not true

at any rate, vocalizations are an integral part of many species of animals' mating ritual. doesn't make us special.

I would say that the actual communication of ideas is pretty much out of the loop in the human mating ritual.

that being said, there is just no way in h3ll this zen dating thing will ever catch on.

ever.
    Words!

Just words!

Quote Originally Posted by Oso
    ha...you're still a newlywed dude...give it a few years and you'll be laying awake watching re-runs of bay watch while she snores.
    Maybe, but I'll do it downstairs on the couch. I think that you will keep that fire around longer if there are fewer distractions in the bedroom.