Thread: Questions about Guang Ping and Kuo lien tai chi

Questions about Guang Ping and Kuo lien tai chi

Are these styles the same? Is Guang Ping tai chi good for self defense? Many people say no, but David Chin's style is an exception to the rule. I believe David Chin's style has two extra forms in it that other versions don't. Is this what makes his style more effective? If not, then what does? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom
    Are these styles the same? Is Guang Ping tai chi good for self defense? Many people say no, but David Chin's style is an exception to the rule. I believe David Chin's style has two extra forms in it that other versions don't. Is this what makes his style more effective? If not, then what does? Thanks in advance.
    Yes, the styles are the same. Whether or not the style is good depends on the teacher and how he/she teaches it. Wouldn't you agree?

I don't know if David Chin's version has any extra forms, but I seriously doubt it. What makes his style more effective is that he is a very no-BS guy who trains seriously in each art that he does. Having a school in Fayetteville, N.C. (home of the Special Forces, Delta, and 82nd Airborne) also insures he gets a steady supply of people willing to train the taiji seriously.

If you get a chance to see him, don't miss his xingyi and hop gar, either.

Dave C.