Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White snake spits its tongue

lausan Guest

White snake spits its tongue

The yang style that i practice has the move White snake spits its tongue in the short form.
    Is this move contained in other versions of the yang style?

Also does anyone know what generation this yang form is?

Cheers Lausan :confused:

Sam Wiley Guest
    White Snake Spits Out Tongue is in a lot of Yang style forms. I don't think it's specifically confined to the long forms. You'll have to give us a little more info before anyone can telly you what generation your form is, though.

"I put forth my power and he was broken.
    I withdrew my power and he was ground into fine dust."

-Aleister Crowley, The Vision and the Voice

count Guest

White Snake Spits It's Tounge

My yang style, which is Tung style does not have a move called white snake spits it's tounge. Maybe Sam can expliane this move from "old" Yang style. Post a picture maybe. In Yin style baguazhang we have a move specifically called white snake spits it's tounge. It looks like this...

Sam Wiley Guest
    White Snake Spits Out Tongue is one of the moves we do after Fan Through Back. The other is Turn and Chop with Fist. I don't have any pictures of it myself, but there is one I know in Erle's book on the old Yang style that he has on his website.

Basically, you have just used Fan Through Back on someone, and you are attacked from behind by another person. You block his right punch with your left palm. Your right palms comes up inside you left and you strike him with a back palm to the face. Then you stick you left fingers into his eyes. Very simple, but very nice.

I'm still working on getting some photos to put up here instead of just writing. It would simplify things much more.

But anyway, that move is done in both the old and the new Yang styles.

count Guest

Turn and chop with the back

hmmm, Are you saying that the move after fan through is a different move than turn and chop or the same move with a different name? I can see a similarity with the block and chop and the block and spit except with the leg wrapping and water energy in the strike.
    :)

ps Sam, could you give the link to Erle's site, I don't think I have it. You could just click on the image button and give the address to his photo on his site to use it here.
    :)

[This message was edited by count on 04-14-01 at 07:39 AM.]

Water Dragon Guest

Your doing it Count...

Do the posture i your picture from a front stance. In William CC Chen's long form, it is done instead of step up with parry and punch in the last third and then goes into ward off. It's a rubbing slice into the side of the neck.

Although there are many styles, they all depend on the strong beating the weak and the slow falling to the quick. These are not related to the power that must be learned -- Taiji Classics

Sam Wiley Guest
    Actually, the picture is in a book in pdf format on his site. So I don't think I could just do a link straight to the pic. But if you go to the full index of his site (there's a link to it on the main page), and then go to the free stuff page from there, you can download the book in 4 parts. I forget which section it's in, but it's in maybe section two or three of the book.

Erle's site:
    http://www.taijiworld.com

Yes, though, that move is done two different ways, once as Turn and Chop, and the next time as Snake Spits Tongue. Same body movement and stepping, but different hand movements.

khinbu Guest

Baishe Tuxin - Yang style

In my style, Baishe tuxin is done after the 2nd Gao Tan Ma (High pat horse). The sequence is Danbian (single whip), Yunshou (cloud hands), Danbian, Gao Tan ma (high pat horse), Baishe Tuxin (White snake spits its tongue), Shizi Baijiao (cross shaped sweep foot, slapping right instep with left palm while kicking in crescent shape), Zhidang chui (point Dang/crotch fist), etc.

Wish for peace

count Guest

Yes Sam

I just got home from class and I see snake spits it's tounge in Yang Form. I'm still trying to differentiate between High Pat on Horse movement but it seems to be more of an eye strike or something. I like it very much! :) :) :)

Ky-Fi Guest
    Sam posted:
    "Basically, you have just used Fan Through Back on someone, and you are attacked from behind by another person. You block his right punch with your left palm. Your right palms comes up inside you left and you strike him with a back palm to the face. Then you stick you left fingers into his eyes. Very simple, but very nice."

I think the way I've been taught is somewhat different than Sam's. After Fan Back, you're attacked from behind, and you rotate clockwise 180 degrees. What we do is sweep our right hand down and away(waist level) with the turn to clear out the attack, and then the left hand attacks to the head or upper body with fingers or a palm strike. I sort of envision it as defending against a punch or kick to the lower body as you turn, and then striking with the left.

MaFuYee Guest

count... shame on you...

what is all this talk of, 'i think it's used to poke somebody in the eye...' (said in nasally, sissy voice.)

what happened to your, '1 posture, 10,000 applications' theory?

doesn't that make the discussion of applications a moot point?

DoD #pending
    Live to Flame
    Flame to Live

Water Dragon Guest
    MA you bastid. Just havet to start trouble don't ya. Can't just let it go huh? :D

Although there are many styles, they all depend on the strong beating the weak and the slow falling to the quick. These are not related to the power that must be learned -- Taiji Classics

count Guest

MaFuYee

Hey, what can I say. If it weren't for the specific split in the fingers I was shown it might be one of the dozens of applications for High Pat but this spit is really only good for eyes. Are the rest of you told the fingers should split on the spit?
    MaFuYee, you are a trouble maker and your closmindedness lost all 4 of us in the previous discussion on applications. Get a clue dude. Want to discuss something constructively. Don't be so quick to assume you are right and the rest of the world is wrong. Open your mind to the possibilities!1@

Water Dragon Guest

Poke to the old ojo's?

OOOHHHHH!!!! I like it!!

Sam Wiley Guest
    Count,
    Do you mean seeing something similar to the posture you posted a picture of? If so, that movement would probably be Inspection of Horse's Mouth. Inspection is a snake move, definitely, sort of like the tongue darting out. Is the posture you posted done darting the hand forward?

In an interesting sidenote, in Yang style Taiji, we do High Pat on Horse just before Snake Spits Tongue, both going into the same direction. In the original Wudang Taiji forms (in the 4th form specifically) we do High Pat, and then spin around 180 degrees to do Snake Spits Tongue.