Thread: Make a living as a fighter

Make a living as a fighter

I know that a few of you understand and work within professional circuts. I train TCMA, and I still consider myself new to formal training. Do you have to get ranked as an amature in the IKF before you can fight for a prize? How long does it take? How much money can you make as a pro kickboxer...I know about K1 and MMA and stuff, but is there a venue for standup fighters to make a living, besides boxing and K1?
    thanks in advance,
    HF

Technically you don't need to fight amateur before fighting pro, but if you've got a brian cell in your head you'd do it for the ring experience before you get ktfo.

time? depends on you really. typically you'll fight every 2 months so figure about 6 major fights a year. that is assuming you are not severely injured in training or a fight.

pay? LOL. don't quit your day job anytime soon man, you won;'t even come close to earning enough to live on until you've reached the very top level of fighting. Maybe in boxing could you eek out a living in the middle of the ranks, but only if you're winning and climbing..

aside from boxing and k-1? not really sure there are other formats like San da, muay thai, kickboxing rules etc, but by and large these are amateur sports in the states.

Btw: if you're in MD I'd definately recommend getting to Sugar Ray Leonard's gym in Crofton. I boxed there for a few years and it's a great place for you to find out how bad you want to be a fighter. There are young, talented, hungry guys in there who want to be the next champion. Ray's brother runs the school in all but name but you'll still get plenty of great training and when Ray comes in just shut up and learn.
    Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Capoeira & Mixed Martial Arts

ST how well does your school do financialy? Do you recomend running a fight school as a way to make a living?? And can you do this and have a family life.

Or is this something that you recomend for young people???