Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: CMA haters club-100

Get laid? Sure. Who doesn't. That's not what I really need though. What I need is a trip home. Coming up in a couple of months. I need:

- to walk into a club with my girlfriend and not overhear the door guys talking about the size of my imported salami.

- to take money out at the bank without a crowd of people pushing in from behind to try and see how much money I have.

- to buy a bag of chips at the corner store without having to feel like I am part of a a pick and go on a backetball team because if I stand more than 6 inches behind the person in front of me someone else will dash in front and slap cash on the counter and the cashier will help THEM first.

- to find an actual professional electrician to fix the wiring in my apartment. No such thing in Xi'an. Just peasant workers who tell me it's my new refrigerator and not the piece of trash copper wiring that is sparking whenever I plug anything in or the wall sockets that I have to hold in place with one hand while I unplug stuff with the other.

- to stop being asked if I wen home (to America) because the guy at the corner store hadn't seen me for all of 4 days. (that's right I got in my private jet and flew back to the states to say hello to my mom because we had a 3 day weekend)

and more and more..

Laid? HAH! It's harder to find deodorant around here than it is to get laid. Trust me...getting laid is NOT a problem for a white American living in the PRC.

yeah, I can see why viviana would have to come on and ask if there are any women on this forum.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

you're not in China, Bro. You're just living in the Hood.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

holy crap that made me laugh.

Makes me think also of one of my favorite musings last year, namely, the odd connection there seems to be between old school gong fu movies and hip hop. Some kind if vague parallel between the battles between schools and gang wars or something. Wu-Tang clan isn't the only one making references.

o and wd

I think you are talking to me. that is my signature. Not as long as some, but beter than most. Here's a couple that didn't make the list but deserved consideration. "buddha does allow us to study kung fu to beat evil", the master-"tiger, why, why did you betray me" tiger-"because, I betrayed you, I am leaving. "
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

I have no problem with CMA or CMAists, as long as they agree that

A) You need to spar, regularly, with hard contact, to improve at fighting skill.

B) If you don't train to defend takedowns and throws with people who are good at takedowns and throws, and train grappling with people who are good at grappling, you are in deep **** if someone tackles you.

Anyone that agrees with those two maxims, and trains hard, is my martial brother.
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn

This is elementary my dear whatson of course we need to train like that. People that actualy do real CMA are aware of that. Do you think that Bruce was the first CMArtist to have this epiphany.

Every MA system has gaps that inherent in its style. People train in given styles because it suits their personalities. To think that your style is the best is foolish, the problem I have is with the few people on this forum that are just plain out CMArts haters. What's that about Father Dog???

Quote Originally Posted by omarthefish
    - to find an actual professional electrician to fix the wiring in my apartment. No such thing in Xi'an. Just peasant workers who tell me it's my new refrigerator and not the piece of trash copper wiring that is sparking whenever I plug anything in or the wall sockets that I have to hold in place with one hand while I unplug stuff with the other.

LOL

Now, that brought back some painful memories!

- to take money out at the bank without a crowd of people pushing in from behind to try and see how much money I have.
    Ah yes, Chinese curiosity strikes again.

- to buy a bag of chips at the corner store without having to feel like I am part of a a pick and go on a backetball team because if I stand more than 6 inches behind the person in front of me someone else will dash in front and slap cash on the counter and the cashier will help THEM first.
    It's suprising how rarely that happens to me.

Let me tell you the story of my "washing machine"...

Water pours in.
    Water pours out.
    It doesn't actually agitate that water at all.
    So if I pour soap into the wash I just end up with wet, dirty clothes with big blotches of laundry soap on them.
    I explain to my FAO that my washing machine doesn't work. I explain why it doesn't work. He says to me that this hardly seems broken at all.

I get embarassed when my girlfriend hand-washes my clothes and I don't know how to hand wash clothes so I really want my washing machine fixed.

- to stop being asked if I wen home (to America) because the guy at the corner store hadn't seen me for all of 4 days. (that's right I got in my private jet and flew back to the states to say hello to my mom because we had a 3 day weekend)
    You think that's bad. You should have heard the rumours that started flying when I went to Longquan. BTW: Check out my articles on Longquan on the EZine and the July/August issue of KFM.

and more and more..

Laid? HAH! It's harder to find deodorant around here than it is to get laid. Trust me...getting laid is NOT a problem for a white American living in the PRC.
    My wish list:

Cheese that isn't mozzarella.
    Deoderant. (I can get this in Taiyuan).
    Fresh Beef.
    English Books. I mean they have every DVD ever made in this town (I already own MI3 on DVD and wish I didn't) and I can't find a single English book!
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Cloud
    the problem I have is with the few people on this forum that are just plain out CMArts haters.
    So my bro like chocolate yogurt. I like vanilla yogurt.

But yogurt is yogurt.

So you like KMA, JMA, or CMA?

But MA is MA?

omarthefish, i spent 2 months in china and i have to say the only place in my travels i came to where people didn't act like that (at least not as much) was kunming. it is so hard to learn to deal with.
    it comes down to my deeply held personal conviction that one of the only things worth fighting for is the sanctity of the line. i hate people that cut in line or feel like they shouldn't have to wait when every person that got there before them stood and waited. however china uses mobs and not lines. very hard to get used to. i noticed that the hockey body check tends to work in these situations. (and if they don't like it you can pull their shirt up over their head and start uppercutting).

have you been called waiguizi yet?

"Actually if you know any thing about chinese culture, The word "Sifu" means Teacher, Mentor, and in some cases depending, means "father". It is a very affectionate title to bestow upon a person for a number of reasons. Parents entrust their children to be mentored and taught by the sifu. The sifu becomes a part of the family, there is a sense of community and honor and obligation that goes with this title. "

"Total BS with a sprinkling of pointless asian mystification and hero worship."- omar

Been reading some of the posts and It would appear some here agree with what I was saying. So I guess, Willow, it's not as you put it "my own brand of BS."

"The difference between me and you is that i am not a prisoner of it (my opinion). points of view change. You will stick to yours until the heart monitor goes flatline and you will feel good, and justified and riteous, you will feel complete in your life and the people around you will love you for who you are.

Wow...you know alot about me! .....And what will you do? Will you admit you might have been (actually you are ) wrong or will you "stick to your opinion."

Really, before you tell me that what I'm saying is my own BS, at least verify your opinion.

Willow, my only problem is when people whine about what's bad (whether it's politics or religion or whatever). Not just you, but in general, it's pointless if your not doing anything or trying to do anything better. You may be like that, you may not, but that's what you came off as.
    Last edited by Anthony; 05-26-2006 at 10:41 AM.

Guess what Einstein. Gets thrown around like candy in China too. Got students? You're a Sifu. Simple as that. Your logic about the etymology of the word, if applied to English, would mean that philosophers are actually followers in the ancient cult of Athena. [/i]
    I call taxi drivers Sifu.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Willow, my only problem is when people whine about what's bad (whether it's politics or religion or whatever). Not just you, but in general, it's pointless if your not doing anything or trying to do anything better. You may be like that, you may not, but that's what you came off as.
    So what are you doing for the world , Anthony?

As Always, TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

I don't know if any answer that I give you would be satisfactory. Put it this way, I'm an average person (house, wife, car, job, yadda, yadda).

I think that the average person has a more important role in this world than the "Oprah Winfrey's" or the "Donald Trumps."

First off, we outnumber everyone. If we were to act more considerate toward each other that by itself would go a long way in making the world better (whether youre acting that way because youre religious or because you just believe it's right). That's the best answer I can give you as to how one person can change the world or make it better (through your own actions). It's the only way that's in my power personally. And it is powerful because you do influence others. I mean, I'm sure you've been polite to a rude person, isn't it funny how they change their tune immediately and start acting appologetic.....sometimes.

To use religion as an example: You could point to some priest molesting a boy and say "religion is bad" or you could point to some average Catholic (or yourself if youre trying to do the right thing) who doesn't rudely talk through an entire movie, pays his taxes, has an honest job, doesn't raise his kids to be criminals, is cool to have a few drinks at the bar with, goes to church (if that's your cup of tea), say's thank you, gives to charity, and simply values and respects life (his own and others). I believe that these "little things" go a long way even though it's not exactly giving millions to charity.

I don't know what's behind your question but believe me, I'm not under the illusion that I'm personally changing the world to any extent other than what I described above. But still, it shouldn't be undervalued. I guess my attitude is "be the example."