Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yuk hing my Fathers old notes

Yuk hing my Fathers old notes

An explanation of the Ancient Secrets of Long Boxing, eight gate five steps
    長拳八門五行秘訣
    By Chu Ba Dao Shi 赵爸指导(from my Father’s old notes) translated by Chu Yuk-Hing 2006

The compass is the four cardinal point and the four diagonal points. The body has the eight Gua trigrams 八卦 and the feet step out the five elements, 五行which allow us to control the eight directions. All together there are thirteen postures or shi 十三勢. The five phases correspond to advance, fire, retreat, water, gaze left, wood, look right, metal and central balance, earth. In central earth the feet develop root, like a tree. Earth develops the central balance root土 the standing juang gong 樁功.There are different methods from other Pai 派(Schools of thought).
    Then you must study the four sides, it requires much time to perfect them, or else your effort will be in vain. The hand techniques are very wide and expansive. When your form becomes very compact then your movements are free then you have attained the middle and advanced levels of long boxing, or chang chuan.
    In Tui So 推手we learn sticking, adhering, connecting and following. We have natural progress to reach interpreting energy. In this way we can use four once to repulse one thousand pounds. We understand sticking energy and develop good seeing and hearing energy, ting gong 聽功. Chi and blood 氣血 are very important to understand chi blood that expresses itself in internal strength. Circulating chi is difficult with out the help of a good teacher-guide. If you can control your opponents membranes his blood will not flow freely. If you grab your opponents blood vessels his chi will have difficulty in circulating, not flow freely. If you attack your opponents acupuncture points 針灸穴. Sealing the death points terminates his life. This is called dian mai 點脈. The ancients said “ there are life and death acupoints but to learn them requires oral transmission. One because of the difficulty of learning, two because it relates to life and death and it depends on the character of the individual.
    One must not teach those who are not loyal and filial.
    One must not teach those who do not have a good background.
    One must not teach those with evil intentions.
    One must not teach those who are careless or crude.
    One must not teach those who have no consideration for others.
    One must not teach those who are outwardly polite but not compassionate.
    One must not teach those who are not reliable.
    One must not teach those who are quick to learn and quick to forget. It is important to know the eight disqualifications; as for criminals they need not even to be mentioned. Those who do qualify may be given the secret transmissions orally.
    You may teach those who are loyal and filial, emotionally stable, faithful to the teaching, respectful to the teaching, and always consistent. Given these five qualities, if a student is truly consistent from beginning to end and never waivers, you may transmit every aspect of the art. From generation to generation this is the way of the transmission.

Pretty typical notes.

A little on the cryptic side of course with talk of elements etc etc.
    As for the ultra nationalistic confucian ideals set out at the end, well, I guess if that's how someone wants to be that's ok. A little uptight though and indicative of a resistance to change depending how far you want to read into it.

I gotta be honest in saying I find nothing of value in regards to tangible martial knowledge that can be applied through a shown method in these notes.

Nothing personal, just a criticism.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Chu / Yuk hing, thank you for sharing that.

used to be in the yookay, but now in my own little world.
    Chu it’s good of you to share your father’s notes with us.
    I think the notes are just as valuable for there cultural content not just there martial.

Even when dealing with people on here I would heed the following.
    One must not teach those who are not loyal and filial.
    One must not teach those who do not have a good background.
    One must not teach those with evil intentions.
    One must not teach those who are careless or crude.
    One must not teach those who have no consideration for others.
    One must not teach those who are outwardly polite but not compassionate.
    One must not teach those who are not reliable.
    Some people would love to posses such material as humble as it is

Wow! Thank You Chu and Yuk Hing! There was a world of martial knowledge in this documentation. I am surprised that a master would give such high knowledge to the outside world.

Jamieson, with 7000 posts you should have realized the importance of this information. I have just began studying and I understand. I will continue reading your postings chu. I know I can learn a lot from you.

Thank You for shareing! It is not often writings of this nature are shared with the public! It is much apreciated!
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

thats about the best description of long boxing i have seen yet. may be you could systemize it even more by relating the five style steps to walking the circle which would just be four exchanges of sides instead of two. two excanges gives you a straight line of two people exchangeing sides if you move to the 90 instead of the 180 you get a circle..

just a different approch i use.
    matt bugg

Hmmm, rereading the notes, I believe they are notes on the Chao family Taiji. Again, very good. I have a diagram of the Chao families 64 move form (It's basically the 8 original Taiji postures done in the 8 gates with some additional footwork to represent retreating), I believe these notes couraspond to the diagram, and are probably part of the manual that covers that section of Chao family Taiji Quan.

The 64 move form is the core fundemental set of Chao Taiji, as it contains all the basics, and fundemental principals of the style. the 37 move form, and the longer set (I don't know how many moves, 108?), are expansions on the core principals and show them as applied to a large variety of movement.

The Chao Taiji system is a *Very* good, but rather rare Taiji method. It's not seen very often.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Quote Originally Posted by svenfeynord
    Wow! Thank You Chu and Yuk Hing! There was a world of martial knowledge in this documentation. I am surprised that a master would give such high knowledge to the outside world.

Jamieson, with 7000 posts you should have realized the importance of this information. I have just began studying and I understand. I will continue reading your postings chu. I know I can learn a lot from you.
    I 'should' do? I'should' have?

If it's good for you, that's fine. My criticism is purely constructive and in all hionesty this type of thing isn't new to me.

Tell me how it's improved your game so that I 'should' know.
    What tangible gain have you made from reading this?

Do you now know where east and west are and didn't before?
    Can you punch like metal and sink like water now that you've read this?

Do you have a stronger hatred towards those that would steal bread and are you now determied that they should never learn because they are criminal.

It is not appropriate in my opinion to tell someone what their perspective 'should'
    be.

read those notes as much as you like. I don't get a thing from them.
    And again, that's just constructive criticism.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

So, what does your style say the 13 Postures are?

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri
    So, what does your style say the 13 Postures are?
    lol. Look, don't nobody get yer panties in a bunch, but let me say this Sal, If you think there are only 13 postures, then you are severly limiting yourself. the postures that we can do as humans are virtually infinite and with variation in everyone according to their body.

anyway, there is nothing there that can't be scratched from the esoteric musings in any kungfu magazine on the shelves.

First of all, it's a note that is personal and for one persons understanding. It will not improve your ability to read it.

cardinal directions? diagonal directions on a compass? the feet step out the five elements? Tell how that metes out as valuable information? This is not geography and yes you gotta look left and right to be aware in a situational sense, but do you really need to be told that? Or is it self evident?

If it was along the lines of "bring the arms closer and keep the elbows down", don't expose your crotch by being to large in stance, never turn your back on your enemy and never let your gaze fall away from your enemy etc etc etc, this in my opinion would be something of value, but a lesson in geography and elements doesn't amount to anything in martial training.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

If you have the chart it goes with, like I do, it is a basic description of the Chao family's fundemental 8 gates (64 move) form. It makes sense to me, because I know some Chao family Taiji.

In all honesty, I don't completely understand the chart, but with knowing the form itself, and refrencing the stepping patterns shown in the chart, the "old notes" make sense to me.
    Last edited by Royal Dragon; 05-23-2006 at 01:25 PM.

For the Women:

+ = & a

seriously, if you are spending the amount of time required to decipher cryptic and mystical charts, you aren't learning a dang thing about pugilism.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I actualy never spent much time. The writings just made sense from knowing the form.

Seriously, if you don't know the form,how could the chart make sense. look at it, is very confusing!

For the Women:

+ = & a

Smile Hi Royal Dragon, DJ and All,

Thanks for sharing the chart, Royal Dragon. It's a nice chart with lots of info. It's a chart easy enough to read with or without the form.

I think both sides have a point. Frankly, both of you are right. So... may be we could just leave the arguement and move on to information exchange which I am sure will be more productive and a lot of others would love to see this thread go in the positive direction that it is going. Just a thought...

Regards

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum