Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Yuk hing my Fathers old notes

What flaws did you see specifically? Was this in the chart I provided? or the other one in the artical on the 13 postures?
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Smile Hi RD,

I was referring to the 13 postures article. The most basic error that occured in that article is compass direction. North in Chinese convention is not on top (almost never). The other critical error is that the arrangement of the 8 trigams is neither Xian Tian Bagua (Heaven-Earth vertical axiel alingement) as seen it yours nor Hou Tian Bagua (Thunder-Lake horizontal axiel alingement). I think I have seen something similar to the one in the article but that I can't say for sure it's the same arrangement which is rarely rarely in use. So...

BTW, your diagram goes a little further then it appears and it's quite consistent with Daoist perspective IMHO.

Warm regards

Mantis108
    Last edited by mantis108; 05-27-2006 at 02:13 PM.
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Hello!
    That is what i thought.

As for mine, one day if I ever learn Chinese, I'll really dive into it. Untill then, any insite you can offer would be appreciated.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Shouldn't the teacher who gave you the chart have translated it for you?

Quote Originally Posted by svenfeynord
    Shouldn't the teacher who gave you the chart have translated it for you?
    kungfu teachers aren't necessarily linguists or translators.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

But surely to be a teacher and hand down such a chart you know what it means. Who are the teachers who handed the chart to you? Why not just ask them the translation?

I mean to possess the chart and not know what it means it becomes useless. So why have it or pass it down to the next student?

Very few studnets of Chinese teachers learn Chinese, and many Chinese don't speak great english, let alone write it. I was given the chart as part of a limited comercially sold manual on Chao family arts. The understanding is that I would someday have it translated.

I really don't practice the Chao Taiji anymore as I focus mostly on the original Sung Tai Tzu 32 posture form. It is an internal set, and contains everything I need out of an art in one form.

I may teach it someday, but right now my Taiji teachings consist mostly of assisting a friend of mine, and covering a class for him here and there. He is teaching the Yang 24 to the public. I personally hate that set, but I need to be able to cover, so learing it seemed a task of duty more than anything.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon
    ... He is teaching the Yang 24 to the public. I personally hate that set, but...
    I agree, I don't like it either. Btw I won't even call it 'Yang', I prefer to call it the 'Beijing 24' set.

There is something about the energy of that set that just grates with me. When I have to cover that class, I do Taoist circle walking, hold the ball and I do drills like wave hands like clouds, or grasp the spaorrow's tail, but I refuse to do that form.

For the Women:

+ = & a

i believe most refer to it as beijing 24.

but it was built out of yang.

i think it has something to offer, especially at the level it is designed to be doled out at, IE everyone and anyone who can stand should be capable of learning and doing the beijing 24 set.

besides, sometimes it's all about reduction.

beijing 24 is introduction to taijiquan for all.

not a completely flawed idea in my opinion.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

diagram of what i was saying about walking the circle with the five element step. is a good way to break up training and goes along with principals of yeilding in the long river.
    matt bugg

beijing 24 is introduction to taijiquan for all.

not a completely flawed idea in my opinion.

Reply]
    If it is a good set, why do I feel tired, and weird after I practice it? I can do the Chao style 37, and I become alive wiht energy and vibrance, or the Shaolin 32 TaiTzu set (Or any Tai tzu set for that matter)

I can just do some Taiji Ruler, even just one exercise for 20 minutes striaght, and I feel very refreshed when I am done, but the "Bejing" 24 seems to leave me tired feeling, and run down.

It is a similar feeling to what I had when I did Chung Moo Quan forms untill I dropped, only with out as much physical exertion. I always feel like I can't quite get the breathing right or something with that set.

For the Women:

+ = & a