Thread: Who and where to study?

Who and where to study?

I am faced with a problem I would like to train in both Baji and Mantis the only thing is I kinda like Baji alittle more but heres my problem I could train in Plum flower Mantis www.shaolinkungfuclub.com and hes certified under Duke Y.M. Cheng from Buena Park ca but Id have to commute 4x per week for 1 per class, or train under baji which is 15 minutes away but theres only 1 class per week 2-3 hours per week, this instructor comes from the same lineage as Adam Hsu his name is Jason Tsou www.chikunginternational.com and my last choice is I'd have to commute about an hour and this instructor trained under Jiang Hao-Quan who is very well known and he teaches Mantis, Eagle Claw, Baji, Piqua but his school is taught like a university he has a curriculum that he follows and there no ranking system its a 4 year program etc www.beijingkungfu.com
    I think I need more than 1x per week to train?

Quote Originally Posted by cybermantis
    I am faced with a problem I would like to train in both Baji and Mantis the only thing is I kinda like Baji alittle more but heres my problem I could train in Plum flower Mantis www.shaolinkungfuclub.com and hes certified under Duke Y.M. Cheng from Buena Park ca but Id have to commute 4x per week for 1 per class, or train under baji which is 15 minutes away but theres only 1 class per week 2-3 hours per week, this instructor comes from the same lineage as Adam Hsu his name is Jason Tsou www.chikunginternational.com and my last choice is I'd have to commute about an hour and this instructor trained under Jiang Hao-Quan who is very well known and he teaches Mantis, Eagle Claw, Baji, Piqua but his school is taught like a university he has a curriculum that he follows and there no ranking system its a 4 year program etc www.beijingkungfu.com
    I think I need more than 1x per week to train?
    1x a week is not training time, that is learning time. the rest of the week is when you train according to the pace you can handle.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

So would you say 1x per week is adequate learning time?

1x a week to be taught is not unheard of. Just keep in mind that what you are taught, you learn by doing. Doing is up to you. As many times as you practice one thing you will get better at it.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

So would you say 1x per week is adequate learning time?
    College courses are 3 hours/week for a 4 year program. If he is trying to structure his program like a university program, then I would say 1 hour is not enough.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

well, 1x a week doesn't necessarily mete out as 1 hr a week.

in one hour a week, if you pay attention you can learn the location of a place far5 and away from where you are. It will take you a while to get to that place, but it will be you who gets there and you will get there according to the directions given. If you get lost, the directions were incorrect or you were not paying attention.

over time as you receive more directions at a rate of one per hour and the time it takes you to get back to learn more direction, you will have eventually travelled the world and most likely have discovered quite a lot of things along the way.

Kung Fu is good for you.

i would say you know yourself better than we know you. So be honest with yourself and figure out if you would really push yourself on the days you don't have class to practice. Once a week is a dangerous thing just because you will be learning all the stuff but you have no one to practice or drill with (unless you know someone in the class). So also try to determine if you are the kind of person that can really absorb the knowledge. The benefit of going to class often is that if you are unsure about something you learned you can ask for clarification the next day or whatever. If you go once per week and you forget something in a form (just for instance) you might just skip over a technique or do what you think is right (even if it isn't) and then you practice it like that for 6 days it becomes harder to unlearn the wrong and relearn the right. So in order to even consider the once a week i would say try your best to accurately assess your own ability. Good Luck.

beijingkungfu

he school that taught like a university is sifu wang from www.beijingkungfu.com maybe someone could review his curriculum and tell me what you think right now he teaching eagle claw?

Jiang Hao Chuan is old and speaks no english. Has some good bagua and shuai chiao though.

Jonathan Wang is a forms and contemporary wushu guy although, his father Daniel, has some traditional training as well.

Jason Tsou teaches 2 days a week although one day with him will tide you over for the week. It's up to you how hard you train. Jason teaches great Baji/Piqua as well as praying mantis and a few other things of interest.

Go see them all. See which is a better fit for you. If your looking for a commercial school with ranks and politics, don't go see Jason. (or Jiang for that matter)
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

?

Can jason teach me to be a good combat fighter and if I train hard how long to be able to use his baji in a real life situation ?

Can jason teach me to be a good combat fighter and if I train hard how long to be able to use his baji in a real life situation ?
    What kind of combat are you planning?

To answer your question, if you are a good fighter, Jason will make you a better one in a short time. If you want to learn a system like baji, that may take longer. But again, it's up to you. Jason's stuff is tested over a long time and very traditional. His teachers are famous for their fighting and teaching. Go see him and ask him for yourself if you can learn what he teaches. My best advice is to let him teach you and not tell him what you want to learn. He's pretty smart about giving what you need.
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM