Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baji Stances

Baji Stances

Any place I could start learning rhe baji stances i.e videos, books, articles?
    So I could get a jump on my learning and training?

http://www.plumpub.com/sales/kungfu/...henticbaji.htm

I think that's a very good representation of the branch of baji quan you were asking about. It's one of the best organized martial arts instructional videos that I've seen going from basic stances, strikes, and posture to beginer form work and applications. Will show you exactly how to do the stances from multiple angles, and takes you through the transitions between stances.

Thumbs up

cool link.

here is his website for more info.

http://www.pachitanglang.com/

Dude, Baji is a VERY subtle art. If you do not have access to an actual teacher, I would not waste my time. No video or book can help you in this regard.
    Cheers
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Three Harmonies
    Dude, Baji is a VERY subtle art. If you do not have access to an actual teacher, I would not waste my time. No video or book can help you in this regard.
    Well said.

Cheers
    Jake
    He does have access to a teacher and is just looking for a home study suplement if I'm not mistaken.

Exclamation Diagrams and videos

So what if the diagrams Im studying is from my instructor, he wrote some articles years ago about rhe basics of baji, in which he included sketched diagrams correctly performing stances and the bear walk and I would use these diagrams to compare to confirm Im doing the stances correctly?

You can only use your best judgement. None of us know what you're capible of. I've seen a guy before that had good stances and was completely self taught (in chang quan though). Then there's people who need tons of private instruction to learn the most simple things

Since you have a teacher, or at least have one picked out, you should give him a call or something and get his opinion on the matter.

SPJ
    When is the new book due out??
    THanks
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

hi;

Thanks for asking.

I am still waiting for the hard copy for proof. The production department has a backlog of books that is causing the delay or 1 month or so lag time.

I know the publisher already notified Barnes and noble and Borders to take pre=orders.

Anyhow, I think maybe sometimes next week, I will receive the hardcopy.

It is a very concise book but highlites key features of the style. Some of the classical moves are explained. It is a general intro book for newcomers. It is also a good review book for old timers.

Last edited by SPJ; 05-27-2006 at 07:18 AM.

self taught

You mentioned there was this guy that was self taught could you elaborate in alittle more detail of what he did , and or others who were self taught?

I was going to post postures from famous teachers.

However, there are copy right issues. So I delete the posts.

Over the years, I collected a lot of postures from magazines and books and so forth.

Postures

Any chance of getting those postures and stances? Im particular intersted in Baji ?

here is a link to a thread. you may see them before.

http://www.wushu2008.cn/viewthread.php?tid=6316

You mentioned there was this guy that was self taught could you elaborate in alittle more detail of what he did , and or others who were self taught?
    He did longfist, I don't remember his name, but I saw him at an open competition in the some CMA empty hand forms division. He had pretty strong stances, was very flexable and athletic. Was missing a ton of little details though, and I don't think he won a medal. Didn't seem happy with the criticisms the judges gave him, or the offer of coaching. I think he was expecting more of a "wow, you learned this on your own? You're pretty talented!" type reaction. Never saw him again at any tournements.