Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baji Stances

Preparing for training

I wanna say as being a new member this is really a excellent board with nothing but good and sound advise and I really appreciate all the great advise.
    My question is currently my legs are pretty weak and my balance is really off and as far as a horse stance and Postures are concerned, I believe it would it be better to start to get my legs alittle stronger before I started to begin my training and learning cause currently I cant hold a horse stance at all ?

training the horse stance will make your legs stronger. everyone has to start somewhere. hold your horse as low as you can for as long as you can--the key is consistency in your training.
    Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po
    You then walk backwards, forcing him off his feet and then drag him by the eye socket and lips. You can pull so hard that the lips tear away. You will never hear such screaming.

Horse Stance

Thanx for the great help, right now I have to practice my horse stance leaning against the wall, I know it may be cheating to some extent but thats the only way I could maintain my balance and continue with my stance practice hopefully with time I could move away from the wall and practice the stances solo?

Baji benefits

What are the additional benefits of Baji/Piqua ? Are there any Internal or health benefits?

Training your horse against a wall is fine. There's nothing cheating about it. In fact, I recommend it. I sat my entire first class against a wall until I almost vomited.

IME, the benefits of baji and piqua are short power and long power respectively. There are no health benefits to any martial art. Maybe some side effects, but there is nothing healthy about fighting.

After you get some fundamentals of baji, you may be taught some specific chi kung based on baji. Depends on the knowledge level of your instructor. You haven't said I don't think, did you start with Jason Tsou or not? In case I didn't make it clear to you before, he's the only one for Li Shuwen's Baji in your area. Sounded like you did though, if your talking about sitting against the wall now.
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

Well actually I havent formally started with Sifu Tsou but I have come to the conclusion that you can get no bettertan him, I jusy wanna get my balance situated before I start his class Id hate to be laughed at for being all goofy for not holding stances etc?

why would you worry about looking goofy when you don't know the style to begin with? my first taiji class i was totally lost, but i eventually got it. if we already knew how to practice our art, there would be no reason to go to a school in the first place, right? i'm sure your teacher has dealt with beginners of all abilities--you'll be fine. better to get good instruction from the start, that have to waste time unlearning bad habits you may have picked up from trying to get it on your own. if you practice well, you'll get good results in time.
    You then walk backwards, forcing him off his feet and then drag him by the eye socket and lips. You can pull so hard that the lips tear away. You will never hear such screaming.

I believe you are totally right but what is so wrong wirth building up muscle to prepare omneself with the horse stance, im not saying im practicing the horse stance im saying just building up the muscles and my balance so when I do start my training my body wont be waving as much as it does now. Im just doing normal leg routines like squats etc

ah---i misunderstood.
    in any case, best of luck--and have fun with it!

Cybermantis.

It's the fact that your thinking, that building muscle is what will help you in your stance training, when in fact, it will only impede your progress. But if you really want to work on only your muscle and posture, go ahead and sit against the wall. It will help.

Good luck with your training.
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM