Thread: Street Fighters Choice

Street Fighters Choice

Which of the following arts are effective in a real bar fight/alley fight where the scenario might be a fight to the end with one or multiple assailants that are maybe armed with a knife or stick?
    Shuai-chiao
    San Shou
    Xing Yi
    Bagua
    Baji Chuan
    Piqua Chuan
    Eagle Claw
    Praying Mantis
    Long Fist

Quote Originally Posted by cybermantis
    Which of the following arts are effective in a real bar fight/alley fight where the scenario might be a fight to the end with one or multiple assailants that are maybe armed with a knife or stick?
    Shuai-chiao
    San Shou
    Xing Yi
    Bagua
    Baji Chuan
    Piqua Chuan
    Eagle Claw
    Praying Mantis
    Long Fist
    The easy answer is Gun Fu, but in a cramped environment with numerous environmental weapons, like chairs, glasses, bottles, pool cues, garbage cans, etc, you would want a method that would employ short-range striking attacks, similar to the southern styles where you would kick no higher than the waist, and use rapid fire hand techniques against the opponent(s). You would also want an art that deals with extremely close range fighting, like wrestling or jiujitsu to control when someone tries to grab you or take you to the ground.

Throwing someone onto concrete is a very effective deterrent, if you throw them right, but you would not want to be rolling around on the ground with multiple opponents. One kick to your head or waist and the fight is over. Also, the person on top of you may have a knife and slip it into your ribs, your neck, or your groin, as you try to choke them out.

Against a stick, you have a fighting chance. Against a knife, your best bet would be to hit someone, anyone, really hard and use them as a shield as you run away. Put cars or anything else between you and the person with a knife as you try to assess the situation and/or plan your escape.

Pick up any kind of weapon you can find, even pick up dirt if you can find it, to throw in someone's eyes, but do not, do not, do not try to disarm a knife fighter if when you reach into your pocket all you come out with is a hand with some skin on it. Grandmaster Richard Pryor taught me that one.

R-U-N.

Smile

Hahaha....

Its not the style but the guy ....

I choice Hsing I Chuan for bar fight

That sounds too easy of a question...
    Last edited by RedJunkRebel; 06-02-2006 at 09:03 PM.
    Sifu Adam Williss
    The Dragon Institute
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/orangecountywingchunkungfu

it's not the style that matters, but the training methods. however, if forced to choose, I'd combine san shou and shuai chiao, which is similar to me - muay thai and judo.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Training method def. matters for sure. off-time practice is also important.

Id feel a multi-opponent w/weapons situation requires an approach that combines short range, circular and instinctive adaptability.

Id probably choose bagua because I train it and imo is closest to having eyes 'in back of your head' - I find my hip/core power can really be released this way. Combine that with wing chun for close combat and grappling. Disarming techniques though, no matter what style, I suspect, are harder than they look. Since in real life, a weapon is faster, sharper, longer than when practicing/training w/a friend in slow motion

Zi Ran men I prefer the most [not on list] because its all about animal instinct and 'sensing' your opponent at each stage of combat, adapting to [and abducting] changes in initiative...in other words, finding an opening and taking and extending control, often much quicker than an opponent could wish to expect, since it is a pretty spontaneous process [from what Ive seen while training w/others].

Have I ever been in such a situation? Thankfully, no!

R-U-N lol....

hmm what is Baji chuan?

Gun Fu....reminds me of that equilibrium movie, it was pretty much that...
    Last edited by SNAkeFU; 06-26-2006 at 08:12 PM.

you'd be lucky to get out of a scrape like that at al,l no matter what method
    multiple armed opponents??? do they attack one at a time like in the movies? or do they simultaneously mass attack you ... like say a ranking-out beat down of a street gang?
    there is no answer especially when you limit your options to a list of choices, of what art is best.

okay... say you have a heckler & koch MP5 in one hand and a lightsaber in the other... sure you have a good chance of winning. But then you are committing a mass murder and will have to spend probably the rest of your life locked up in jail for it. in the long view is that really a victory?

if you had asked about a 1-on-1 scenario against an armed (knife or stick) attacker, that is a much more workable question. sorry
    Master...Teach me kung fu.