Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chinese name of a horse.

Blog Entries

Chinese name of a horse.

CLFNOLE or any other CLF student,

again my chinese is bad and i'm trying to get the chinese names for some of the horses.

For example. when in sei ping ma.......if you were to slide your right leg back to your left leg (or what we call "close horse" what is the chinese name?

and when in the closed horse what it is called when you step out into the sei Pin ma.

in the closed horse the knees are bent and you drag your foot towards the other one.

any help is appreciated.

Frank

We call 'open horse' (Stepping out to horse) "Hoi Ma"

Don't use a "horse" name for bringing our feet together. Someone else might...I don't know of it being called a specific 'horse'.

Hope that helps a bit.

Peace

Yeah that is what I was going to say, hoi ma - open horse. The second part I wasn't sure if you meant bring both legs together or crossing over each other - kay lun ma.

Blog Entries
    what i mean is bring your legs together. both knees are bent and touching each other.

Not sure how you guys would use it, but it's kind of like the no shadow kick for us.

Try this. your sitting in a say ping ma. your focus is to the left. if you try to throw a kick from that horse you won't get much distance.

But, let's say someone threw a punch at you and you block. at the same time your close your horse (right leg closing to the left). Once you are in that position your can get a longer range on your kick, and the person won't see you move at all.

try it and see if you know what i mean.

And, if your're in a fighting stance, and someone tries to sweep your front leg, grab your front leg you can close your horse when the time is right.

Blog Entries
    how do you say closed horse?

But thanks mike, Hoi Ma it is.

Blog Entries
    okay, in the picture i guess i'll focus on the one on the left.

using either leg to try and kick from that distance is bad.

however, if he were to drag or pull his right leg in towards his left while simultaneously executing some other technique....without the guy on the right knowing, the guy on the left has greatly shortened the gap between them and can execute a kick without him even seeing it coming.

I hope i was clear on that?!?!?

THe opposite of "hoi" (open) is sou (close), so it is "sou ma" to close the horse.

Cheers guys, keep training.

Blog Entries
    see, i knew you'd be useful one day joseph.

and thank you for that.

seriously.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by extrajoseph
    THe opposite of "hoi" (open) is sou (close), so it is "sou ma" to close the horse.

Cheers guys, keep training.

Or could be hap ma=together horse.

Blog Entries
    honestly joseph,

it would be a good thing if u could help me learn more of the Chinese terminologies. it's too tough trying to get answers out of old stubborn chinese.

for example, joseph, imagine this.........you are in a closed horse, knee's bent. left hand is over head blocking, and riight hand is scooping upwards. when you do that left and right "we call it windmill block" but what is the chinese terminology for it?

hsk

Blog Entries
    in the way we use our SOU MA, we use it different ways, like i said it can evade a sweep, kick, or when done from behind to forward can close the gap greatly when trying to kick or just gain some distance.

you can also hook the foot and close the horse bringing him off balance.

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior
    honestly joseph,

it would be a good thing if u could help me learn more of the Chinese terminologies. it's too tough trying to get answers out of old stubborn chinese.

for example, joseph, imagine this.........you are in a closed horse, knee's bent. left hand is over head blocking, and riight hand is scooping upwards. when you do that left and right "we call it windmill block" but what is the chinese terminology for it?

hsk
    You are doing "chun lou sou" in a "lok gwai ma".

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior
    in the way we use our SOU MA, we use it different ways, like i said it can evade a sweep, kick, or when done from behind to forward can close the gap greatly when trying to kick or just gain some distance.

you can also hook the foot and close the horse bringing him off balance.
    To open you must close first, so you "sou ma" in order to "hoi ma" and from that you can do whatever ma you want to follow up.

So if you want to "hook the foot and close the horse bringing him off balance" then it is called "k-old t-ang ma" (hook and shake horse stance).

Blog Entries
    thank you brother joseph.

I am not familiar with the word 'sou' being associated with 'close, or closing'.

We say "saan" as in "Saan-Muyhn" (Closed Door).

I didn't bother trying to look up the word 'sou', so are you sure it means 'close?'