Thread: Can chi gung be done anytime

Can chi gung be done anytime

I think so.

I recently started doing "internal" sets of chi gung that are derived from ba gua, hsing i and tai chi. They're awesome and I already feel the effects on my gung fu.

I was told that the best time to do it is in the morning and outside in the fresh air. That's great and all but...what if your schedule doesn't fit? What if you live in a place with crappy air...like Manhattan? What if it's cold as heck outside? Do you risk frost bite to get the full effect/affect(I never know which one to use)?

Please clarify also when to use effect/affect. I usually have good grammar but not with those two words.

Back to chi gung. Personally, I NEVER get enough sleep at night and am really groggy in the morning. In the afternoon I am too tense/frustrated after work to do chi gung. Therefore I do my chi gung at night before bed. THis is the time I am at my most relaxed and I prefer the night because I don't like my neighbors staring at me going, "There's a chinese guy doing that jujutsu stuff." That always plays in the back of my mind when I do chi gung during the day.

I feel that chi gung should be done when YOU feel it's best because most important is the way you feel and how you're feeling your body.

Please reply with your opinions. I'm going to post this topic under some of the other discussions to catch all the hitchhiker posts. Thanks.
    A penny saved is... not much.

Dude, no offense, but why'd you post to at least 3 different sub-topics. That's kindof wrong.

yeah

I realize that now but at the time I did it because of my own behavior. For a long time I only looked at the topics under "Southern kung fu" and not the other ones. So when I initially wrote this post I posted it to catch others who only post under their one topic.

Hopefully it'll generate more responses.
    A penny saved is... not much.

as far as i know, yes. i believe there are certain exercises that work specific meridians or organ systems that probably need to be done at certain hours for maximum effect, but generally, whenever you can fit it in to your schedule should be ok. the important thing is to practice consistently, get enough rest, and make sure you can devote your energies to your practice when you are practicing. hope this helps.
    Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po
    You then walk backwards, forcing him off his feet and then drag him by the eye socket and lips. You can pull so hard that the lips tear away. You will never hear such screaming.