Thread: Conditioning for the Choy Lee Fut Fighter

Conditioning for the Choy Lee Fut Fighter

I took this article from this link, and it may prove insightful for many a CLF practitioner.
    http://www.clfsd.com/articles.html#system

Body conditioning - The Iron Body Path:
    Get the fists and shins of steel
    From an early stage in your training you should start the body conditioning some time referred to us iron palm or iron shirt training. As you grow in muscular strength you must also ensure that you have conditioned your muscular - skeletal system to deliver and take strong blows. Seen many a student that have not paid attention to body conditioning and when they throw a punch in the street or school fracture and damage there hands/ shins etc....Here some tips to start you off with. There is no magic potions just a strick regime and attention to your body signs. Seek professional advice at all times prior to starting your training. If you have Rheumatiod arthritis history in your family then you need to explore other options to body conditioning.
    1. Increase the circulation of your blood via a warm up that makes you start to pespire. Increased oxygen intake in the blood is the start
    2. Respect your skin type and its potential to soften when you sweet and so easily tear when you strike or graze the bags. So take it easy when you start the training.
    3. Wash you hands/arms/shins in the dit ta jow to enhance circulation and slightly drying the skin prior to the pounding. Remember that many Tit Da jows are different and many are just commercial rubbish and have little sustained treatment properties. Be ware that you need herbs that can be absorbed into the fascia and have stimulant properties that work on the muscular skeletal system with a localised effect and no potential systemic reactions. What I mean by this is I saw a student once start the training with a video course and tit da jow and he presented in the clinic with clear syptoms of infection of both hands. Any way spent a week in the hospital with blood poisioning. Consult a professional licenced herbalists at all times or konw where the stuff is coming from.
    4. For hand work train with the power grips for a warm up or a wrist weight to build strength of the wrists as the pouding will jarr the smaller bones of the hand . Start with pounding of the area on a firm but loose bag of beans/rice/punching bag/ bamboo sticks. Avoid heavy pounding until you have built up the muscular skelatal strength of the area. It is suggested that you use both fixed and free moving bags to avoid early injury to the not so denses fibres of the muscles and tendons. Use the tit da jow very generously to assist in the localised effects of the tit da jow. Work about 10 mins per area. Avoid lacerations to the skin at all times. You will feel a swelling or balloning of the hand /foot or body part. This is the bodies reaction to trauma and protects itself by increasing the density of the soft tissue at the localised area. Stop and soak the parts in the jow for 5 mins. Finish with a exercise to stimulate blood flow to the area you worked on.
    5. Continue to perform strenghtening of the ligaments(joins bone to bone) and tendons muscle to bone). Hand grips, wrist wheel, body pole rolls, sinue exercises......... calf raises duck walking.... At the same time move up to firmer but still flexible material in the bags such as sand/ loose small sized blue gravel/ mixture of husks and gravel or beans. No need to take great leeps as everyone reacts at diffferent pace to the training. Continue to use both static and dynamic bags to hit. Keep the generous use of the tit da jow on the parts. Remeber to clean your hands with an alcohol based solution twenty minutes after training to remove the residue and avoid it entering your eyes or other sensitive areas. As well as disinfect any lacerations that may have occurred because you did not listen and you pounded to hard!!!!!! Blood poisioning will finish your limbs people!!!!!
    6. If you do not feel an obvious increase in the size and strength of the area do not proceed to pounding the hard metal fillings or kicking those wooden poles...etc.... You are simply not ready. There is no rush you can stay at the previuos level for years. When ready move to the harder but still flexible materials. Once callous has form on the surface of the Facia then you can start to pound the harder static stuff but remember that as you grow older the bones become less dense and prone to fracture. Ensure that your training incorporates good ligament strenghthening to avoid the sprains and strains that we all experience. Any good physio will tell you the exercises you need if ou have weak joint syndrome. Using Tit da jow should remain a practice after most trainings that involve heavy bag work or wooden dummy work. This is where Tit da jows differ. Those that are good will continue to envoke reactions of the muscular skeletal system that enhance blood flow and the bodies natural healing process. The others just smell and have little or no affect. If you experience prolonged pain or sweeling after each training it may be due to a useless Tit Da jow.
    The dynamic wooden dummies of Choy Lee Fut enable the student to train the regime of body conditioning at the same time of enhancing your fighting skills. There are but a few kung fu styles that incorporate this type of trainining. We have 18 great body conditioning dummies. This sites talks about the wooden dummy training of Choy Lee Fut in its Article section under the Master class heading.
    Hope this helps out some of you.
    Ma Wai Lung

It is my opinion that conditioning should start as early as is reasonably possible as it is a lian kung (train the body) and the kung lik (achievement through hard work/lian kung) is much related to the length of time of training.

But beware! Although conditioning achievement is much dependent on time factor, it is CERTAINLY NOT something that can be RUSHED by upping the intensity irresponsibly. The body needs time to adapt and strengthen, as well as heal.
    Rush it, and you may experience a lot of unnecessary complications.

Obviously DO NOT attempt the conditioning if you have rheumatoid arthritis or a history of it in your family. If you have a medical condition and not sure, and anyway before you attempt any conditioning exercises, you should consult the advice of your physician.

Ah... Ma Wai Lung, there is a CLF fighter!

You can see a picture of him here:

http://www.clfsd.com/gall/gall2.html

The shorter of the two guys, second picture from the right, secong row, just below the picture of Chen Yong-Fa.

He can swear in Cantonese like an American trooper in Iraq. Check him out Frank, he can tell you all the CLF names and use them!

Frank, here is a good example of your wrong assumption that the Chan family don't teach outsiders! Whats more, he's a Gwai Lo!

Hi EJ,
    Thanks for the info on Ma Wai Lung.

While we are on the topic of "conditioning" , I wonder how many realise that conditioning in CLF is not only "external" but there is also "internal" conditioning/developing of the body through the sup baat lohan sou or sup baat lohan kuen. It is indeed a "tendon changing" exercise, reminiscent of the shaolin yi jin jing and develops/conditions the body superbly for the style of choy lee fut especially increasing the speed for the "long reaching' techniques.......and if you can do if faster over a long distance, naturally it will be even more faster over a shorter distance/range.

A personal question EJ, do you like to "rev up" your internal conditioning with the kwai sik fu kup. (you know, the turtle breathing technique)

If I turtle too long I'll explode, so I keep a loose hip and turtle on and off all night long....

Hey EJ,
    I don't mean turtle breath continuously for a LONG time! For example, these days if you want to use the sup baat lohan purely for health you can use a more regular rhythmic and soft toi sic or xintian breathing, but if you plan on getting a more dynamic effect on the chi manipulation you can do/add turtle breathing at the right moments in the form before a release.... the latter being more geared for the martial phase of the training.......as it pumps the chi more vigorously. Anyway, may bring the heat and sweat more quickly......

What do you think? Do you agree?
    Last edited by VStanmore; 05-24-2006 at 03:10 AM.

Hi VT,

Yes I agree, you are right - The Earth of the Body, the Heaven of the Mind and the Breath of Man. We can use either one or all three to "rev up" our internal and external conditioning.

Ma Wai Lung was talking about the Body and you were talking about the Breath and me? I was thinking in my Mind what is the best way to enjoy this marvelous San Cai of CLF which I spend most of my life doing?

I thought: what a waste to use it on fighting, why not just pick up a gun or drop an atomic bomb? and leave Frank and k-no to pick up the trophies. So I focused my Mind on Pro-creation and come up with a better use for my CLF.

When the Mind, the Body and the Breath all come into the One.....Woooosh! IMO. It is better than sex, grass and religion, by miles. I luv this stuff!

"Mar-ti-al" or "Mar-it-al", fighting or coming together, it is all in the subtle way we arrange the "ti" and "it".

Blog Entries
    AHHHHH JOSEPH,

AND WE WERE GETTING ALONG NICELY

Nah, they're not the same.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

What if you have only a couple of relatives, say your grandmother and a cousin, who have rheumatoid arthritis, yet practically none of your other relatives have it? Would it be okay to do the conditioning? I have hit and kicked bags and hand held pads for years with no problems, so I guess I should be okay. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by phantom; 06-01-2006 at 02:49 PM.

Actually, Mark Jensen, a hung gar student of Wing Lam's, wrote an article on iron palm in an issue of Journal of Asian Martial Arts a few years ago. In it, he mentioned an older lady with arthritis who studied iron palm with Sifu Wing Lam. After a fear years of iron palm training, her symptons form arthritis actulally lessened. I don't know what kind of arthritis she had, though. You are probably right about asking your physician first, although I tend to think he or she would probably think you were either crazy, stupid, or both for wanting to do body hardening. Most nonmartial artists do think that way about it, even some practitioners of martial arts do. I suppose you might be better off going to a doctor of chinese medicine, perhaps he or she would be more understanding.
    Last edited by phantom; 06-01-2006 at 04:16 PM.