Thread: Looking for mantis school in Shanghai

Looking for mantis school in Shanghai

Hello everyone and greetings. I am living in Shanghai and looking for a mantis school to train at here. I have been living in China for around 8 or 9 months, finally ending up in Shanghai. I have been studying strickly chinese arts for 11 years and some other stuff before that. I am looking for mei hua or taiji mantis, but I will check out anything as long as it's mantis. Any direction or assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Sam
    Shed blood not tears...

Plz forgive my spelling ck the KWAI U PEI website. I believe he is a german sifu who studied under Lee Kam wing

manti

yeah, da playing da manti, do the claw and but not da wais powa'
    not da famar' i do the mank cut him dead
    Bryan Davis

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Sifu Pel is Sevenstar Mantis unless I'm mistaken.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

yea, hong kong sevenstar, but with his own flavour.....or so ive heard

craig

Quote Originally Posted by Radplaiddude
    Plz forgive my spelling ck the KWAI U PEI website. I believe he is a german sifu who studied under Lee Kam wing
    samtrip if you stop in to check out Pel tell him Mark AKA shirkers says hello and that I miss him.
    To some I have little character value. My friends know the truth. Guess which of the two I give two shiats about.

DISCLAIMER: Everything said by me in my posts should be taken with a grain of salt. All of my comments are mostly written in a sarcastic, juvenile manor. Any attempt at actually taking offense to what is said by me in my posts will be the sole responsibility of said reader.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...tofthejunk.jpg

I am a student of Master Kai in Shanghai,

Unfortunately, as of 1st December last year, Kai is no longer accepting new students, and does not reply to emails regarding classes.
    This can be seen on the website frontpage:

http://tanglang.lifehome-china.com/index.html

There is also information regarding Master Kai's first teacher Lee Kam Wing, during his time in Hing Kong on the site.

Thanks.

Not takeing students? Wow, it must be nice to have a full school. I wish I were that lucky.

Mi Hao Tou

Since you live in Shanghai could you at least give the person some info on where they may be able to train while they are there? I am sure there must be other schools.

I am also a student of Master Pel in Shanghai.

As for the "flavour": we come from the Lin Bo Yan lineage. His name can be seen in the family tree in WHF's book Er Lu Zhai Yao. He was a student of LGY in Shanghai Jing Wu directly. After Shanghai he settled finally in Singapore.

Shanghai: There aren't any other Mantis schools in town, Sam. Sorry.

There are a couple of floating teachers with Modern Wushu pedigrees who have some kind of mantis.

But I've only ever studied mantis with Master Pel here so someone else will have to help you with that.

Redfish.

It looks like China is not the place to learn authentic Chinese kung fu.

It's a big @ss country...

Shanghai is a big @ss town.

One of my students went to another part of China two years ago for school. She was there for a few months and all she could find is wushu.

For praying mantis you'd best go to Shandong province.

In Shanghai, the styles most popular are Wu Style TJQ, Liuhexinyi, Tiangangquan, mizongquan, etc......

Also, cities are not places for martial arts since people are busy with the hustle life.....and becoming competitive they tend prefer competitive sports like basketball, soccer etc. The more rural areas tend to have more time for traditional martial arts. With that however given the population there is basic demand for everything.

In Shanghai for Meihua Tanglangquan, if you head up to the bund strip at around 6am there are small group of practioners and also in Zhongshan park there are also some. Most teachers 'practice' daily in the park and some people like to study from them but they do not typically 'teach' in a commercial environment, since often they have other professions or are retired.

Regards
    Wu Chanlong.

Sam,

Sent you a PM some time back. Have not heard from you.

WRX
    Last edited by Wang Rui Xuan; 05-30-2006 at 07:40 PM.