Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Motivate me

damm!t, the site is gone...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

there is a new student in our school.

last night i sparred against him. no one had seen him sparr yet. so no one knew if he was good or not. i had not really talked to him before, so he was basically a stranger.

before the match sifu says to me, "light weight". so i think ok, ill take it easy.

match start:

i start of slow circle around kind of inviting him to move and throw something. first thing he threw was a kick, and it was hard. i mean hard. i block of course, but the first thought that flashes through my head is, this guy has deffinately trained before. then he threw a punch, not to be mean, but it was like tissue paper. I immediately knew he was a TKD guy.

it was apparent to me he was a bit nervous, probably not every having sparred the wicked kung fu fighter that i am.

i played it slow, learned his defense, as well as his offense. kept him moving, and made him keep his guard up (he kept dropping like so many TKD guys do).

using basic punching combos, i worked my way inside, set u feints with kicks and landed punches, all the while keeping my defenses solid and not letting attacks in.

after the match i asked him what style and how long.

So taht was my first experience sparring an Olympic style TKD black belt.

It was a lot of fun.

IF YOU WEAK ASS B!TCHES DONT GO TRAIN, YOU WILL NEVER HAVE FUN LIKE ME.

GO TRAIN NOW OR DIE WEAK.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

So last night after a beer and some JD and some time on the poles.

What motivates you to train? For me, I think, what usually happens is I'm totally wiped out after a long day of kids and work. Around 10:30 or so finally get the kids to sleep and finish up the chores. Grab a beer from the fridge and hit the couch. When the beer's done, grab some JD from the cabinet. A little after 11, go upstairs, check on the kids, hearing their little snores.

Start thinking about what would happen if anything happened to them, what if we get attacked by some crazy homeless person on the street or something, or if somebody decided they wanted to hurt them.

About that time, I go into the back yard and hit the bagua poles for about an hour followed up with some staff work.

Then sleep at 12:30 or 1:00, and back up at 6. I guess the sad thing is I don't always make it outside. That's the sad thing.

you know.

its harder as people age, and develop thier life around certain things that are not MA related.

then they want to train, but they cant find the time. not enough time in day.

then you have to slowly start to adapt your life to MA again.

the way of life is the key. when MA is a way of life. that is the motivation. life itself becomes motivation.

the miracle is waking up. every day. the sun will rise. THIS is the motivation.

the motivation is to live.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Quote Originally Posted by PangQuan
    you know.

its harder as people age, and develop thier life around certain things that are not MA related.

then they want to train, but they cant find the time. not enough time in day.

then you have to slowly start to adapt your life to MA again.

the way of life is the key. when MA is a way of life. that is the motivation. life itself becomes motivation.

the miracle is waking up. every day. the sun will rise. THIS is the motivation.

the motivation is to live.
    In the beginning, we may need some reasons to practice.

In the middle, we may see all sorts of reasons not to practice.

In the end, we become the practice and the practice becomes us.

MA is in you. You are part of MA.

Or MA practice is part of our lives.

wd -- sevie is right. the motivation has been lacking at times, but i'm still making progress. slowly, mostly surely, progressing. i'd just say that, even if you're short on time, do a few exercises here and there. say, a set of pistols in the morning, one-arm pushups in the evening, pullups when you come across a bar, dips on the kitchen counter. just simple stuff whenever so you can keep your strength up, so when you do have an hour to just focus, you can spend it on endurance or skill work.

lemme know if you're gonna be in houston, and i'll give you a peep if i'm gonna be in antoners. then we can play the old game of "make the other guy puke."
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

right now I would be the one puking.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

The following quote is about golf, but it applies equally to martial arts training:

Every day you miss playing or practicing is one day longer it takes to be good.
    -Ben Hogan

While I'm at it, here's something else to consider. Time marches on whether you train or not; time is merciless. If you slack off then before you know it five years will have gone by. One day you'll get the interest up to go back to that judo school, and when you walk in you'll see people who you used to train with; only thing is, they won't be the rookies you remember, they'll now be instructor level; and you'll be the same or worse that you used to be. That's a low feeling. Don't let it happen to you.

(Btw, the training opportunity we discussed will happen soon. I'll PM you when we're ready to get started.)

well, you always had this fetish with puking on me. i'm sick of having to wash my shirts all the ****ing time, so would you just get off your ass and get in shape?

that help?
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

look in the mirror.
    where's my beer?

Yesterday I had my ass handed to me by a man considerably older, with considerably less raw physical ability, but a ridiculously tight skill set.

I found this motivating. I believe I'll make it a point to get my butt kicked by him every other month from now on.
    Many roads. One path.

Many styles. One art.

Many lineages. One practioner.

Sevenstar,
    LOL!! I remember the "Dude, where's my keys" thread! Yes, you are right I have been training all this time to be in that thread, but alas, it is no more...
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Quote Originally Posted by 5Animals1Path
    Yesterday I had my ass handed to me by a man considerably older, with considerably less raw physical ability, but a ridiculously tight skill set.

I found this motivating. I believe I'll make it a point to get my butt kicked by him every other month from now on.
    LOL, sounds like me and my Sifu! I'm bigger than he is, but he could hand me my ass with his eyes closed! And you're right about it being motivating, it's all the proof I need in order to know that his kung fu is good.

Quote Originally Posted by neilhytholt

Then sleep at 12:30 or 1:00, and back up at 6. I guess the sad thing is I don't always make it outside. That's the sad thing.
    Well, you need more sleep though if you want to improve/make gains. That's something I'm trying to work on.

what happened with training forms and throwing for hours and hours?

h20 you used to inspire me!

strike!