Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Motivate me

Quote Originally Posted by jethro
    I will find out in time neily holt, but stop bringing me down man. I may need to start a movitate me thread
    No, seriously, the problem with motivation in martial arts is like when I was a kid, we used to fight, so we were motivated so we didn't get our asses kicked.

But now, who gets into a fight anymore? Nobody if they have 1/2 a brain, don't go into bad neighborhoods, stay out of bad bars, etc.

So being motivated to train is a serious problem. It definitely is for me, especially after a long day and the kids and helping them out with their homework and all that. 11:00 rolls around and I just usually turn on South Park and down some suds.

sorry for mistakingly take over your thread

But neilyholt, we may be different there. I was in a kickboxing class for a while and found it easier to motivate myself to work out after that. But it ended up just going away. i am looking into a tai chi school right now but keep getting scared cuase I don't know what it is gonna be like. Now I love to fight, but I will go there just to feel better about myself in general. And hopefully I will want to keep training if I am feeling better. i saw my body go from mush to rock in less than 6 months 1 night a week kickboxing class. But your right, even at 22, you find out how stupid getting in fights is in general. But I am just hoping that I will be a better person. So wd, if you haven't put me on the ignore list, then rip on me man, I used cuss words and stuff cause that's the easy way. I need to seriously get ripped on to get in the gym. Something really hurtful usually works. So heres what's up, my gut hasn't gotten any smaller since a couple months ago when I started lifting my little weights again. Also doing situp, pushups evry night. Well amost evry night. So when I bend over my gut hangs downa good 4 inches. I recently also satrted strething a lot so that I may be able to get some flexibilty one day. I am surprised that I can actually touch my toes now and that hasn't happened before...

Wow, I think I just motivated myself, but very doubtful.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

Blog Entries
    The solution to lack of motivation for training for me is to have partners, and set goals, and videotape myself.

Last edited by yutyeesam; 05-25-2006 at 09:48 PM.
    The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

chix dig buff dudes who train.

chix dig danger, apparently, if they could, they would date fire.

cause it's dangerous!

be the danger you want to see in the world and chix will dig you.

motivated yet? no? yer prolly ghey then.
    in which case, think about cool blues and tawny browns juxtaposed against glass and brushed steel making for a really clean look throughout the whole gymnasium.

how's that workin for ya big guy? ready to sweat now?

oop, kettles boiled, ta ta.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Just put one foot in front of the other and start your way down the road.

Somewhere buried in my blog (on health & nutrition) are a ton of inspirational quotes.
    I saw one this morning when i was at the gym that kinda rung with me:

Most people dream about success,
    while the winners are up early making the sacrifices they need to achieve it.

I'm having a real hard time right now dealing with the heat here in Texas, trying to get my conditiong back to a normal level, and trying to lose some of the tremendous amount of weight I've gained. I just gotta keep telling myself to be patient, to be consistant, and to do the things I need to do in order to make each day count.

BTW- Did you have as much trouble acclimating to the weather here? I think it's coz the gyms I go to don't use AC.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Well, if you look at my avatar, you will see that while you have been putsing around, I have been training my ass off, and I am now finnallly ready to kick your ass.....
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon
    Well, if you look at my avatar, you will see that while you have been putsing around, I have been training my ass off, and I am now finnallly ready to kick your ass.....

...you gonna squat and reach for that beer on the really low table over there or something?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

LOL!! There is a really low end table just out of camera!!
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Quote Originally Posted by Water Dragon
    I need to start training again, but I can't find my mojo. Motivate me
    Come back to KFM.

Yeah.

That oughta do it.

Or try pr0n.

When you get carpal tunnel syndrome and just before you go blind, remember what it felt like to have the rush of somebody's hair in your wind as you sit on their face and go for the arm bar... or the thrill of the fwap of your fist against their tingly bits.

Isn't that enough? Is your mojo rising?

I found your mojo. They don't call it "sloppy seconds" for nothing.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

waterdragon, why don't you make a plan to compete in something thats, say, 3-6 months away. in whatever venue excites you the most right now, like a judo comp or something. that will give you time to get back into shape and brush up on your technique, and then gear up for the comp.

for me, there's no motivation equal to having something exciting and tangible on the calander to light a fire under my butt and get me to focus on training. there's something about knowing that somewhere out there your opponent is training hard just to kick your ass, to get you up off the couch and to the gym.

then once youre in shape and gotten in the groove, its easier to maintain.
    works for me at least, i need tangible goals.

pretend that the entire aikido school turned up at your school and torn your sign down, and trod upon it with their shoeless, stinky feet. and that you're training to go over there for the big rumble
    Last edited by Banjos_dad; 05-26-2006 at 10:05 AM.
    Master...Teach me kung fu.

this is going to suck with your weather down there but I say take up running again for starts. I just participated in a 3.5 mile race (had to walk some) but after that first mile, you remember that you hate running, but you also hate drinking and smoking and everything else that is messing with your fitness. Then when you are done, you feel great and can drink a beer and just go back to hating running. Keep doing this, until you no longer hate running. Then you are in shape.

1. Remember the first time I went to a seminar, we were rolling during one of the breaks and I tapped you several times within a few mins? Train so that doesn't happen again next time I'm in the area.

2. Or, think about this: the more time you spend on the PC and lesson training, you begin to drift more and more into the realm of the keyboard warrior...

3. rubby is in the same state as you now. When you two get together to train, you want him to puke, not you.

4. you've got a son to finish training.

5. chicks will dig you more.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon
    more like you've been training your ass off, and now your pics are ready for the "dude, where's my keys?" thread.
    Last edited by SevenStar; 05-26-2006 at 11:48 AM.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter