Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New book on Chung Moo Quan/Ooom Yung Doe

Bump.....................................
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Just an fyi, the second edition of this book is now available on Borders.com and Amazon.com. I think shipping is cheaper through them for the end buyer.

A bunch of us gave Joe our advice on what worked in the book, what didn't, and which of our favorite stories he ommited. The new edition really shows it.

What's funny is that the first stories I ever heard Joe relate are towards the end of the book. Back when he told me those stories, he was still really in the cult mind, not part of the schools, but still in that mode of thinking, whereas now he's really just a regular guy who happened to have experienced this weird group years ago. By putting those sections toward the end, it gives the book an interesting tone, because the climax is more experienctial than just based on a chain of increasingly complicated events.

Anyway, I dug that part of it.

Yes, you can see how he has shifted from seeing Kim as the sole creator of it, to his previous thoughts pondering that Forest was the engineer of the Cult.

I found that interesting, because I have gone down that same road and thought pattern myself when tryng to figure it all out .
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon View Post
    Hello!!
    There is a really good real life book about life inside the Martial arts cult of Chung moo Quan/Oom Yung Doe.

Excellent stories about how messed up it was for the inner cult members, and the Iron Fist controll John C kim had over his followers.

This is something that is a must read for any martial artist!!

PS, Gene any chance you would be willing to carry this book on martial arts mart?

Just type "Herding the Moo" into the search engine.

www.trafford.com
    I remember Instructor John and Paul when I was 11 out there in Schaumburg. And wouldn't you know it, after the preface, the author walks into the dojo and meets the instructors: John and Paul, with the bad Korean accents, lol. And guess who is mentioned in the preface as being one of the people who helped the authors get out of the cult: Mr Royal Dragon! Kudos, bro!
    I was on the metro earlier, deep in meditation, when a ruffian came over and started causing trouble. He started pushing me with his bag, steadily increasing the force until it became very annoying. When I turned to him, before I could ask him to stop, he immediately started hurling abuse like a scoundrel. I performed a basic chin na - carotid artery strike combination and sent him to sleep. The rest of my journey was very peaceful, and passersby hailed me as a hero - Warrior Man

I went there briefly as a kid with my dad but not very long when they told a story of how when the master came by the water the fish would come he was sure that it was fishy.

I also heard stories of how he went to live in a tigers cave to learn tiger style etc etc it surprises me people actually bought into this stuff....

Quote Originally Posted by mjw View Post
    I also heard stories of how he went to live in a tigers cave to learn tiger style etc etc it surprises me people actually bought into this stuff....
    I was only 11 years old! Come on, man! lol Yeah, he survived living in the cave with the tiger by shooting his KI at it whenever it got any ideas about eating him, lol.....
    I was on the metro earlier, deep in meditation, when a ruffian came over and started causing trouble. He started pushing me with his bag, steadily increasing the force until it became very annoying. When I turned to him, before I could ask him to stop, he immediately started hurling abuse like a scoundrel. I performed a basic chin na - carotid artery strike combination and sent him to sleep. The rest of my journey was very peaceful, and passersby hailed me as a hero - Warrior Man

Frauds and charlatans can go far and make a lot of money and recognition in a land filled with people looking for answers everywhere but where they are IE: within.

People will capitalize on this. True fact.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I just ordered the book. I'm sure it will be an interesting read.
    Always learning

Quote Originally Posted by Faruq View Post
    I was only 11 years old! Come on, man! lol Yeah, he survived living in the cave with the tiger by shooting his KI at it whenever it got any ideas about eating him, lol.....
    I was probably around that same age also when I went there....

Quote Originally Posted by Faruq View Post
    I remember Instructor John and Paul when I was 11 out there in Schaumburg. And wouldn't you know it, after the preface, the author walks into the dojo and meets the instructors: John and Paul, with the bad Korean accents, lol. And guess who is mentioned in the preface as being one of the people who helped the authors get out of the cult: Mr Royal Dragon! Kudos, bro!
    Yeah, I have had a lot of thanks from those guys over the years.

I am surprised any of those schools are even around anymore. There are two that broke from Kim in the Chicago area. Both still teach that stupid art. I hear there are a few oddball school still under Kim's controll in various parts of the country. Sounds like they don't do too well though.

is there a .pdf file of this book we can download?.

No, it's self published. You have to buy the print copy I think.

Quote Originally Posted by mjw View Post
    I went there briefly as a kid with my dad but not very long when they told a story of how when the master came by the water the fish would come he was sure that it was fishy.

I never should've left Jor Carson's "Carson's Kenpo Karate", lol.