Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hughs Dominates Gracie!

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter
    Royce has years of experience in that type of G&P. That is the whole strategy of BJJ (pass the guard to side mount, work for knee ride/mount, take the back, strike/submit from the back). He’s just not used to being on the receiving end.
    No, acually he doesn't. Hitting is not allowed it the events Royce competes in. Getting hit in the head repetedly by someone with Hughs' power is enough to sidetrack enyone. He may teach it, but if he doesn't make a point of training with people who actually try to KO him in training, he will not be prepared for it in the ring.

But other than that, I mostly agree with you, even if you do put it as more of a belittlement of your fellow KFO'ers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Quote Originally Posted by Becca
    But other than that, I mostly agree with you, even if you do put it as more of a belittlement of your fellow KFO'ers.
    Belittlement?? It's hard not to, when people post about things they know absolutely nothing about.

Such as...

Hitting is not allowed it the events Royce competes in.
    Royce has only competed in three or four non-striking BJJ matches in his entire life. Every other event in which he has competed involved striking.

Royce fought in the first few UFC's. There were only three rules- not biting, no eye gouging, no fishhooking. People were hit until they were unconscious, bleeding wrecks.

Watch Gracie In Action 1 or 2. You will see Royce and other Gracies doing the same thing in those early fights as was done to Royce the other night.

Royce's entire BJJ fighting system involves striking.
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 05-29-2006 at 01:12 PM.

It's hard not to, when people post about things they know absolutely nothing about.

Such as...

Knife Fighter comming on to a KUNG FU forum and acting like he knows Kung Fu, and is qualified to compare it to his persuites.........
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Just like I've said in the past wrestling, grappling, is all good till you get older. Size and strength matter when it comes to the ring. Gracie showed great skill and the fact he didn't tap out when he was in that arm bar proves how great he is.

The fact is when you got a young buck slamming you with all he's got the older grappler who is on his back doesn't stand a chance

Perhaps is he had better stand up fighting skill he would of done better. I was impressed with his flexibility in his training vid but it takes years to hone your stand up skills

Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time...maybe it's time Gracie learns to cheat a bit?
    Last edited by Royal Dragon; 05-29-2006 at 01:30 PM.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Belittlement?? It's hard not to, when people post about things they know absolutely nothing about.

Such as...

Royce has only competed in three or four non-striking BJJ matches in his entire life. Every other event in which he has competed involved striking.

Royce fought in the first few UFC's. There were only three rules- not biting, no eye gouging, no fishhooking. People were hit until they were unconscious, bleeding wrecks.

Watch Gracie In Action 1 or 2. You will see Royce and other Gracies doing the same thing in those early fights as was done to Royce the other night.

Royce's entire BJJ fighting system involves striking.
    Those UFC fights were before ground and pound, as it is now done in the UFC, evolved. And K-1 and Pride do not allow that sort of ground and pound. King of the Cage does, as do a few others, but Royce hasn't ever competed in them. K-1 isn't a cage fighting event. Niether is Pride, that I know of. They are ring events. And the presence of a cage can mess up an experienced fighter if they aren't careful. You also are not taking itno account the fact that the rules change in K-1 depending on the format. Elbows are only allowed in tai kick boxing and sometimes in San Shou format, but not always. Did you bother to look up the format and rule set Royce was fighting with? I doubt it...
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

I signed up and get a newsletter every week from this site. Here is how he ended this weeks...
    ROYCE GRACIE VS MATT HUGHES: JIU-JITSU WINS!

Last Saturday night Matt Hughes decisively defeated Royce Gracie in a much promoted UFC matchup. One of the most interesting things about this fight was that mixed martial arts have come full circle, with Matt defeating Royce using a strategy first popularized by Royce himself.

Matt Hughes used a positional strategy straight from the jiu-jitsu playbook: takedown to sidecontrol to rearmount, and then finishing with strikes from rearmount. This approach to fighting comes directly from Brazilian jiu-jitsu. Rearmount is not a pin in wrestling and it doesn't win a match in Judo: the dominance of this position is emphasized by jiu-jitsu to an extent not found in other martial arts.

This fight goes to show the HUGE influence the Gracie family has had on mixed martial arts (and martial arts in general). Their techniques and strategies are now out in the open, and have revolutionized our approach to fighting.

Kudos to Royce for igniting the grappling explosion by dominating the early UFCs. Huge respect to Matt Hughes for his continuing dominance in an incredibly tough sport.

Stephan Kesting
    http://www.grapplearts.com
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching

Pride does allow the ground and pound. The only rule is no knees to the head while prone (aka all four limbs on the ground)

To say Gracie was out of his element is a cop out. Remember, this is a TRAINED fighter. He should ready for anything that is allowed in the rules. Including and not limited to the ground and Pound. Besides, the whole lead up to the fight, Hughes claimed that this will be how he will defeat Royce. It seems ego can get in the way of even the greatest fighter....
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

Quote Originally Posted by BM2
    I signed up and get a newsletter every week from this site. Here is how he ended this weeks...
    ROYCE GRACIE VS MATT HUGHES: JIU-JITSU WINS!

Last Saturday night Matt Hughes decisively defeated Royce Gracie in a much promoted UFC matchup. One of the most interesting things about this fight was that mixed martial arts have come full circle, with Matt defeating Royce using a strategy first popularized by Royce himself.

Matt Hughes used a positional strategy straight from the jiu-jitsu playbook: takedown to sidecontrol to rearmount, and then finishing with strikes from rearmount. This approach to fighting comes directly from Brazilian jiu-jitsu. Rearmount is not a pin in wrestling and it doesn't win a match in Judo: the dominance of this position is emphasized by jiu-jitsu to an extent not found in other martial arts.

This fight goes to show the HUGE influence the Gracie family has had on mixed martial arts (and martial arts in general). Their techniques and strategies are now out in the open, and have revolutionized our approach to fighting.

Kudos to Royce for igniting the grappling explosion by dominating the early UFCs. Huge respect to Matt Hughes for his continuing dominance in an incredibly tough sport.

Stephan Kesting
    http://www.grapplearts.com

So even though Royce lost... It's still a win for the Gracies.
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

Have to agree with knife fighters comments........Royce showed little of the basic technique hes known for (didnt fight for an underhook, didnt close the half guard etc.) although the zen like composure he had whilst having his arm cranked was something to behold.

And Becca, echoing mat and CPA well done for the spoiler in the title . Pls dont do it again...its just common courtesy for others who havent seen it.
    'In the woods there is always a sound...In the city aways a reflection.'

'What about the desert?'

'You dont want to go into the desert'

- Spartan

So.....

What happend to Royce's arm? Anyone see another angle to it? Did it break...

I NEED ANSWERS ******!!!
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

400 - 1 in striking events, then?

Becca,
    Watch these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naWEbPDz80w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVy0k3mDzdU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZyeSScNH8Y
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 05-29-2006 at 02:58 PM.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptinPickAxe
    Pride does allow the ground and pound. The only rule is no knees to the head while prone (aka all four limbs on the ground)

To say Gracie was out of his element is a cop out. Remember, this is a TRAINED fighter. He should ready for anything that is allowed in the rules. Including and not limited to the ground and Pound. Besides, the whole lead up to the fight, Hughes claimed that this will be how he will defeat Royce. It seems ego can get in the way of even the greatest fighter....
    Ok. Don't follow Pride, so I conced that one.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller
    400 - 1 in striking events, then?

Becca,
    Watch these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naWEbPDz80w
    Dail-up sucks, so I only watched the first. (Royler vs kempo instructor)

Nice vid. Nice of that faceless jiujitsu black belt to help Royler turn his opponant, too...

But I did get your point. And I actually did know that BJJ was the pioneer for bringing ground and pound to the fore front of most people's attention. But my points, as I see, are still valid.

1. Royce needs to train with people who are actually trying to KO him if he wants to fight that way.

2. He didn't do a half-bad job of making Matt earn that victory.

3. That match was going to go to the first person who made a mistake. That was Royce.

4. Just because it ended in the first round don't meen Royce was getting "owned" the whole fight. Just at the end where he lost his center with Matt's rear mount. Had he not lost his center, the ref would not have stopped it so soon.

Quote Originally Posted by couch
    The link has been dismantled at youtube.com.

If anyone has downloaded it, etc...and you don't mind sharing...please PM.

Best,
    Kenton

P.S. My son was born and fight night was our first night home!!! Priorities!
    congrats on your new addition couch!!

"better to reside in hell knowing the truth than to be blissfully ignorant in heaven."

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."- Doug Adams

I dare you to make less sense!

"Freeze?! You know if i drop the tooth fairy i'm only gettin' started mother****er!"

"It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin