Thread: Imperial Palace Bagua

Question Imperial Palace Bagua

Has anyone heard of Imperial Palace Bagua I understand that it is being taught by Gong Zhong Xiang in Monterey Park ca he teaches Bagua, Taichi, and Xingyi. Here is his site http://www.imperial-bagua.com/mainframe.html
    Im wondering could these arts compliment any of my training with Baji/Piqua
    Because my Baji instructor only teaches 1x a week on Saturday Mornings and Sifu Gong Zhong Xiang teaches Saturday and Sunday mornings at a local park nearby that leaves me with Sunday morning where I can study another Martial Art (something Internal) I was told that Xingyi Quan is similar to Baji that they could help each other, and that Xingyi and taichi is very heath related not to mention its martial capabalities. So I am a pretty bright person with a photographic memory and I usually pick up thing very quickly and I usually practice whatever I set out to do on my own but Im very loyal and dedicated to my tasks that I set out in life.
    So which of these three arts could help me become a better fighter and benefit me physically as well as internally? Because all my research leads to the understanding that internal arts benefit a person physically, spiritually, and with a enormeous list of health benefits?
    Ive always believed that a good teacher will have students who can fight and are humble?

one thing at a time or one step at a time.

Ba Ji has the body method of the bear waist and tiger back. There are grinding/turning stamp and stamp steps. heel up, turn and down; foot off the ground and down. etc

Ba Gua has the body method of a swimming dragon, up, down left, right front, rear etc. There are Kou Bu and Bai Bu. There are spiralling rotations of the 9 sections of your body.

Pigua has big movements of arms and steps or Da Pi Da Gua.

Ba Ji hand may be similar to tiger claw.

Ba Gua needs iron finger and iron palm.

Pi Gua has strong forearms.

---

Can you do or learn all of them at the same time!

So why could I learn it I was told masters of the past studied long hours a day learning many styles and arts? I heard one story that a modern day sifu studied Bagua by night and Xingyi by day, why could I accomplish this also? I have the time and willingness to learn this.
    Which of the internal arts would compliment Baji/Piqua ?
    would it be Bagua, Xingyi, or Taichi?

Ba Ji and Pi Gua are a system by itself.

They compliment each other.

Ba Ji and Pi Gua also have Qi Gong and internal aspects of their own.

Yes. if you like to learn 4 or 5 styles at the same time.

It is up to you.

When you work out all the in's and out's of each style.

Then they will compliment one another as you pointed out.

Some people won't like it, but you should learn the way you feel is best for yourself.If you practice for long years, you'll ultimatly achieve Mastery. It's okay to study with more than one teacher, just don't study with tooo many; and many of these systems have a great many similarities, so studying one will be benificial to the others. Again-
    Some people won't like it, but do what feels right to you. Indeed , many masters in the past did.

Baji quan and Pigua Zhang may have been part of the same system of the past, and have been recombined into one system by a number of teachers in more recent history. Also you would be learning from the same teacher. You may be a super genious and have a photographic memory, but getting good strong gongfu isn't about memorization. It will take a lot of time and physical effort to gain strong basics, and at your age some things will take more effort than if you were a teenager. If you don't have a full time job or don't have familly or friends (or don't have any worth spending time with ) then it'd be better to devote yourself to an ideal baji quan training schedule rather than deviding your time between multiple teachers. For example, a popular baji quan training method is to practice xiao jia baji quan (small frame baji quan-the first baji form) by holding each posture for 8 deep breaths. I think idealy you would be expected to do this every morning and evening. That plus the jin gang ba shi (am I saying that right? anyway, 8 baji quan moving line drills also taught at "beginer" level) and any other conditioning your teacher gives you should be enough to wear you out, and plenty of material. Your photographic memory isn't going to cut down on the amount of time you'll need to spend training, but will give you an advantage over other beginers in that you won't forget your forms when you go home (which can be embarising the next time in class ).

Thank you youre advise was well understood and yes I do plan to take your advise I plan on learning baji from one teacher and practicee every day and hopefully one day I could be good and be a better person in life. How many hours do you recommend training per day at beginners level, not to mention we all lives too like work, school, and family.