Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Origins of Taoist Alchemy?

Origins of Taoist Alchemy?

After years of study I have started to think that Taoist alchemy developed indepentantly from Egyptian alchemy. In which case it shouldn't be called alchemy at all.

Are there any smarty pants PhD's out there who can clarify this for me?
    Give me immortality or give me death!

Well, technically speaking, it isn't called alchemy. Alchemy is only a rough transliteration that we use for the Chinese term.
    Can you point to any studies which claim that Daoist "alchemy" is in any way related to Egyptian "alchemy"?
    ~H

Smile Alchemy

I don't have a PhD but as far as I understand Alchemy in Chinese basically divided into 2 schools - external and internal. The External Alchemy school were found by chemists thousands of years ago. We know that the First Emperor of Qin dynasty (248-207 BCE) had retainers that were "Alchemists". He was given "elixir" laced with mercury which is believed to be the the key ingredient in the recipe. BTW, legend has it that Japan "civilization" was found by his alchemist retainer because of his quest for immortality. It is also believe that he had an ocean/lake of mercury in his tomb. Tang dynasty (618 - 906 CE) was the zenith of experimentation of External Alchemy. This populartiy went on to Ming dynasty. But after a few imperial Emperors got poisoned through out the dynasties, the practice finally lost its favorite status. The internal Alchemy school became popular with the founding of the Chuan Zhen Jiao (holistic truth religiosity) by the Daoist Wang Zhong Yang (1130-1137 CE) during the Song Dynasty (960 - 1279 CE). Although Chuan Zhen Jiao credits the founders as Han and Tang dynasty Daoists (ie Han Zhong Li, Lu Dong Bun , etc), it is Wang and his famous disciples known as Chuan Zhen Qi Zi (7 disciples of the holistic truth school) that spreaded the teachings of Internal Alchemy (meditation).

Internal Alchemy borrows the terminologies and "methodology" of its external counter part to explain the process of meditation. Its influences are far reaching to the point that you can find those ideas in the teachings of the so called internal style such as Xing Yi Quan. I am sure there are many who understand what Chinese Internal Alchemy is, so I will stop here.

Hope this somewhat.

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus
    Well, technically speaking, it isn't called alchemy. Alchemy is only a rough transliteration that we use for the Chinese term.
    Can you point to any studies which claim that Daoist "alchemy" is in any way related to Egyptian "alchemy"?
    I haven't seen any studies to connect or to say they evolved seperately. I just assumed since it was being called "alchemy" there was a connection. Is there an older Chinese word for it? Qigong is pretty new I hear. Immortality seekers are called Tao Shih I believe.

Smile Elixir...

Well, Qin before becoming the very first Empire of China was a western state. It could have contact with the "west". But the silk road did not officially exist until Han dynasty. I believe Tang dynasty was the height of trading with the west. So I don't think Alchemy was all that foreign to Ancient China.

Health, both physical and mental, has always been a subject that the Daoists never neglected unlike the Buddhists counterpart in general. This is because Daoists recognize health is important to enlightenment. I think there is a major misconception that people have today about Daoism. To the Daoists, Human NATURE includes the body, mind and "soul" (spirit) IMHO. It is the rise of philosophical school of Confucianism and increasing influence of Mahayana Buddhism (ie Ch'an) since the Song dynasty that caused the confusion. People equates Daoism with Buddhism although they are both unique and distinct in nature, and from very different cultures.

That being said, human are subjected to the same "sickness" or rather 3 poisons namely greed, wrath and obsession that is the source of mortality. Medicine in China comes in many form - vapour, liquid, powder, paste, and pill. BTW the cinnabar has these properties yet far too unstable and dangerous to use as well. Lead having the opposite property on the other hand is thought to be able to counter balance that. This is why in internal alchemy these 2 ingredients must be presented (not metaphorically only). The Jin Dan (Golden Pill), which is also the product of the process that is also known as the immortal elixir, is believed to be the cure to all mortal diseases. The elixir is a "substance" (a paradox really) that is perfect (sphere shape) and transcend transformation (property of gold). This is the fundamental believe of the internal alchemy.

Internal alchemy as a Daoist methodology is not purely through reasoning. In it's original form, Daoism is more of an observation of nature and human's interaction with it. It's empirical behavioral as much as philosophical.

Just some thoughts to share.

Mantis108

對敵交手歌訣

妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Hi Mantis 108,

Your teacher said the same thing about the orbit, do you think people can believe they have opened it up rather then just letting it happen naturally. What im saying is do you think you need to visualise the energy moving around from point to point or just let it happen without wanting it to?!

Ive been reading Mantak Chai and Dr Yang info on the fire, wind and water do you know anything about this, especially the wind path?

like to share mate?

regards
    Garry

Smile Hi FT,

Nowadays, I believe that the guidence of the teacher is important to learn meditation. I used to think that it's possible to go with the process all by yourself. Personally, the Da Xiao Zhou Tian are within the realm of Qigong and they are only the beginning stage of the meditation. It's only one of the many methodologies that is available. A good teacher is important in this matter.

Da Xiao Zhou Tian methodology has a close relationship with the Chinese worldview and the formulation of Qi. There is a temporal component to it that's different from person to person. Different schools have different interpretations but it's base on the idea of Tian Ren He Yi (Heaven and Men united as one) regardless. The teacher is only a guide. Whether the student can open the path or not depends on his understanding and due diligence. Visualization is done when concentration or focus is not obtained in the beginning stage of the practice. It is for novices who have no prior experience whatsoever. Once concentration or focus is experienced, one should not be "visualizing" nor should let active imagination confuses the actual state of being.

I am not familar with the work of Mantak Chai and Dr Yang on this subject. May be you can give a synopsis so that we can discuss further on it. Wind, Fire and water are the 3 terrestrial treasures. There are "invoked" during the Zhou Tian cycles to render the Jin Dan.

Regards

Robert (Mantis108)

PS Hi, Cjurakpt thank you for your reply. I appreciate your sharing of your teacher's views and your thoughts.
    Last edited by mantis108; 06-11-2006 at 01:20 PM.

對敵交手歌訣

妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

That's interesting. I always thought Western alchemy originated from the term for Egypt - Kemet - the black land or just kem meaning black since Western alchemy originated with Egypt. Thus adapting to Arabic - Al Kem.

Quote Originally Posted by cjurakpt
    "gam" in Cantonese, but evidently "chim" was how it became pronounced perhaps as it moved west along the silk road; the Persian / Arabic term "al-chim" I believe means "of gold" or "into gold" or some such

what a freakin' revelation

Quote Originally Posted by DarinHamel
    After years of study I have started to think that Taoist alchemy developed indepentantly from Egyptian alchemy.

Gee, d'ya think?

In the words of alchemist Liu I-ming,

"Lead is dense and heavy, hard and strong, lasts long without desintegrating; what is called true lead is not ordinary material lead, but is the formless, immaterial true sense of real knowledge in the human body. This true sense is outwardly dark but inwardly bright, strong and unbending, able to word off external afflictions, able to stop internal aberrations. It is symbolized by lead and so is called true lead ... Because its light illumines myriad existents, it is also called the golden flower. Because it is the pivot of creation, it is also called the North Star. Because it conceals light within darkness, it is also called metal within water."

Enjoy,
    Jorge

Just for reference, traditional studies indicate that Chinese alchemy comes from the Zarathrustra tradition which of course has its roots in the Egyptian Hermetic Tradition.

What has made me think they may have evolved seperately is the philosophy of Taoism that is so opposite of the Egyptian philosophy. Pharoahs who were the primary practicioners of alchemy with the priests would be buried with their wives, household slaves, personal guard and if that wasn't enough they would bury the tomb workers alive in the tomb for the added security.

Taoism on the other hand would prefer to not leave a trace on the world.

Smile Pharoahs...

Well, It is observed that ancient Egypt was left out during the Axial Age (c 800 to 200 BCE). It is an age when many Shamanistic traditions started to become religions. They are also more concern and compassionate about fellow human beings.

It is a mystery why an acient civilization such as Egypt didn't develop a compassion spiritual movement in sync with the Middle East, Greek, India, and China.

Personally, I have a theory that the Bible might have provided a clue. In the Exodus, Moses, who was said to be Israeli born but adopte as a "prince of Egypt", was said to have lead the Israelites out of slavery and out of Egypt. There is a theory out there that Moses might indeed have been a prince of Egypt who either created or promoted a Sun God worshiping cult that had all the traits of Monotheism which could be the prototypical version of modern day Christianity. Egyptian Pharoahs of course did what they have to do to secure the throne. So the drama of the crossing of the Reed Sea come to exist at least in the Bible; thus, in theory IMHO, a compassion base religion did existed but it was older tradition and power struggle that prohibited it to take root in Egypt.

The impact and the implication of the Exodus, if historically accurate, could be huge. This would land a big support to Africa truely being mother of all civilization.

Just a thought.

Mantis108

對敵交手歌訣

妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

I read sometime back that the north star does not move but everything else spirals around it. The Daoist think as this star as one of the most powerful energies to connect with wonder why?

Garry

“We begin with the North Star, the fiery home of the Shen. As we move downward through the terrain of the spirits, we descend to deeper strata of the body, the psyche and the nervous system ... just as we look to Polaris to discover the true north, so we look within to the light of the heart to discover our direction in life. The Shen, the shining light of spirit, will always guide us reliably if we take the time to listen. And as the Pole Star direct us to true north, the Shen will always direct us toward Tao, the path of our true nature.”
    -Five Spirits- Lorie Eve Dechar

“This true sense is outwardly dark but inwardly bright, strong and unbending, able to ward of external afflictions, able to stop internal aberrations. It is symbolized by the lead and so is called true lead ... Because its light illumines myriad existents, it is also called the golden flower. Because it is the pivot of creation, it is also called the North Star.”
    -The Secret of the Golden Flower- translated by Thomas Cleary

Enjoy,
    Jorge

Smile Hi Alquimista,

“We begin with the North Star, the fiery home of the Shen. As we move downward through the terrain of the spirits, we descend to deeper strata of the body, the psyche and the nervous system ... just as we look to Polaris to discover the true north, so we look within to the light of the heart to discover our direction in life. The Shen, the shining light of spirit, will always guide us reliably if we take the time to listen. And as the Pole Star direct us to true north, the Shen will always direct us toward Tao, the path of our true nature.”
    -Five Spirits- Lorie Eve Dechar

“This true sense is outwardly dark but inwardly bright, strong and unbending, able to ward of external afflictions, able to stop internal aberrations. It is symbolized by the lead and so is called true lead ... Because its light illumines myriad existents, it is also called the golden flower. Because it is the pivot of creation, it is also called the North Star.”
    -The Secret of the Golden Flower- translated by Thomas Cleary

Enjoy,
    Jorge
    Nice quote and all ... would you care to elaborate or share your insights on the matter? Thank you.

Regards

Mantis108

對敵交手歌訣

妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum