Thread: Where Can I Find Ba Bu TLQ 7 Hands?

Where Can I Find Ba Bu TLQ 7 Hands?

I'm looking for good clear video of the Ba Bu Tang Lang Quan 7 Hands form online. Can this form be found in book form, or on commercial video? Thanks.

I have never seen commerical vid's available, nor in book format.
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

Lama...go here...

Go to www.babutanglang.com, click on the link for About Babu, then go to the last heading of "BA BU TANGLANG" STYLE OVERVIEW and click on the See More link. The form is there in a quicktime format performed by Master Wang-Jie, Age 79.

Hope this helps

Chizica.

The Pong Lai organization will have a DVD of Ba Bu Qi Shou available within the next few weeks. The DVD will teach the form and the 2 person along with training drills and applications. Take care.

Regards,
    Mike

Mike
    Is this another one of Shr laoshi's tapes? Keep us updated!
    Thanks
    Jake
    Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com

Does anyone know the history of this form?

Where it originally came from or other info?

Kevin asked Paul Lin a similar question, and received a straight answer attached is a link to the thread.

http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/foru...p/t-10342.html
    Last edited by Forkintheroad; 05-31-2006 at 10:20 AM.
    God bless the child that can hold his own.

Hi Jake,

The Qi Shou video will be done by me and some of my students. I will also be releasing Master Shr's instructional DVD on Mimen Lian Jie within the next few weeks. I will keep you posted and thanks for asking. My best to you and Master Hu.

Regards,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mantid1
    Does anyone know the history of this form?

Where it originally came from or other info?
    Mantid1,

It is to my understanding that Qi Shou, Li Pi, and Fan Che (Big and Small), are prerequisite skills to grasping the epitome of Ba Bu.

Per Chang Shifu, Ba Bu differs in principle and not so much in form. Qi Shou choreography does not contain techniques exclusive to Ba Bu. It is to my understanding that Ba Bu plays the Jin like Taiji, the steps like Xingyi, and the hands like Bagua.

For those who play Zhai Yao (7 Star, Mei Hua, or Ba Bu), how different or similar is the sequence of techniques?

M.Dasargo

XTL
    Mimen Lanjie eh?? Sounds awesome!! Will this be like the Bung Bu video? Please email me as soon as it is available, I would liek to see a copy as would Hu Laoshi (he liked the Bung Bu vid!!).
    Mike D.
    What do you mean compare the Zhai Yaos? I only know Babu Zhai Yao (and from what I understand it is not very close to the original taught by Wei), and I half assed know a Meihua version.
    THanks
    Jake
    Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com

Thanks for the info guys.

I was told that 7 hands was originally form the throwing (or wrestling) hands mantis.

Does that make sense? Isnt the trowing hands part of the core of Babu?

Thanks again

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    mantid1, read through that old thread forkintheroad posted a link to. Paul Lin talks a little bit about that.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Three Harmonies
    Mike D.
    What do you mean compare the Zhai Yaos? I only know Babu Zhai Yao (and from what I understand it is not very close to the original taught by Wei), and I half assed know a Meihua version.
    THanks
    Jake
    Hey Jake,

7 Star, 8 Step, and Plum Blossom all have Epitome/Essentials. If I'm not mistaken, Liu He has essential sets as well. (Please correct me if Im wrong) Both the 7 Star and Mei Hua have a common frame, and the 8 Step seems to start with a common frame, then the technique patterns seems to deviate from the choreography of the 7S and MH lines.

I understand that the primary difference in lines are within the movement patterns, and not so much in the techniques. However, I am curious about the premise within the transitions of specific techniques, as I was taught that the transition is what manifests the idea behind the movement and the source of its efficacy.

Hence my attatchment to form sequences, differences, and commonalities.

Mike D.

PS
    Yes, I could be completely wrong with my understanding.

Mike
    I agree with your idea, but I do not know enough different Zhai Yao's to tell you the differences/similarities.
    Liuhe in fact does not include any Zhai Yao (the only Mantis system without). But their essentials, if you will, can be found in the 93 Mi Shou or Ninety Three Secret Hands. These are 93 individual techniques specirfically for combat that are trained in liue of the Zhai Yao forms. But basically it is the same idea with the "essentials" being found within these training's not in a form per se!
    Cheers
    Jake
    Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com