Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Anyone use Rattan Rings?

I use the 26" occassionally around the biceps to keep the elbows in and train the shoulders during solo chi sao. Haven't used it beyond that. I definitely wouldn't use it over the forearms.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat Nap
    I've never actually used them but plan to start so that I have something to practice with during lunch. Anyone use them - how do you find they help you progress?
    I do not believe they were originally for kung fu. They are just as effective if not more with yoga. Esp. the virabhadrasana set which is the quitessential "kung fu" set of yoga. Lots of hidden meaning there and not "combat application" sillyness. They sell these as pilates rings but ironically much more expensive. There are steel ones which are totally insane because they are smooth chrome and weigh 9 pounds. I'd definitly coat those with plastic and or use them with sticks gripped in the hands. They are called body circles by the pilates folks and show the traditional training with them. You need two and twirl them in the arms. It develops the same muscles for punching and does a great job of developing both hardness while retaining your speed. At advanced levels the arms hardly move. But you can add more arm if you want but you'd need heavyer rings. They do toughen the forearms. Not as much as the steel ones would (the big loop not the hung gar rings). The only limit is your imagination. Just more excuses from "tradtionalists" who by nature cant come up with any creative ideas and are eaither bored to tears doing the same thing over and over or too dumb to stay perpetually mystifyed by some rather antiquated weapons and conditioning drills. There are also stretches you can do with them. But the real importance is energy. Its not about fighting or even calistenics. Its energy. Real shaolin training combines exercises with qi. As cliche as that sounds no one seems to get it. You learn more from a line drawing of a guy in a old book than a lifetime with a teacher. There's more there than meets the eye. The energy is hidden in the structure of the stance. Not in movement. What kind of bad habit are you going to learn from twirling them on the arms? Is that a fighting stance? Of course not. Its silly. Even water boxing has training for taiji balls and these rings. They are so amazing that its no wonder people keep them a secret. The best things are the simplest. They are for developing mainly 'dividing water skills' but there is also some crossover to other skills. Whip skills, iron forearm, iron shirt, ect. Probably one of kung fu's best kept secrets.
    --
    Mountweazel (n.) the phenomenon of false entries within dictionaries and works of reference. Often used as a safeguard against copyright infringement. The Liar's Dictionary by Eley Williams

Last edited by YiWan; 06-21-2006 at 04:52 AM.
    Ivan Rzounek
    "Gwongjau" & "Siuhing Fung Siuching Baan Jung" WingChun
    http://www.wing-chun.cz
    http://www.facebook.com/ivanrzounekwingchun

O...ribbitt...ribbitt...ribbitt

I use the 84" version of the ring. It has improved my structure tremendously.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill
    O...ribbitt...ribbitt...ribbitt
    Another useful contribution.

Quote Originally Posted by Turiyan
    I do not believe they were originally for kung fu. They are just as effective if not more with yoga. Esp. the virabhadrasana set which is the quitessential "kung fu" set of yoga.
    Virabhadrasana? Is this a particular school of yoga you are referring to? I haven't heard of one that uses rings before.

With WC, it's traditionally made of rattan which is not exactly what I'd call heavy.

ring is wrong , a complete waste of time ....more usefull ?? less cryptic for you.
    best way is hands on explanations.
    Last edited by k gledhill; 06-28-2006 at 05:17 AM.