Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Visualization, moment of stillness

Visualization, moment of stillness

Quote Originally Posted by kung fu fighter, from another thread

Hi John,

When you fa ging, is there any visualization involved such as visualizing the internal energy comming out from your dan tien to the part of your body that's doing the striking?
    Yes, lots of visualization. And it had to be done very fast. There are 3 steps to the process:

1. Before any power can come out you must briefly map out the energetics with your Yi first. But DO NOT move, DO NOT issue any power at this stage
    2. Attain the "moment of stillness". This is the single most important part of your training, without which you are still using physical strength. This is also the part that very very few will teach you.
    3. If step 2 was done properly, just let it be and it would polarize. And your body/Qi/power/Jing will move aligned with the paths you have mapped out previousely. You will move without knowing whether you are moving or not, and the opponent will get propelled out and he/she would not even know how you did it. And any by-stander watching it would say "no way, this is not real"

Go over the Tai Chi classics, it is actually there!

As for the Dantien, use it in the beginning. As you get better, the Internal and External Qi unites, and the entire "mind space" becomes yours, then you won't need to worry about the Dantien anymore. Also your Fajing would not exhaust you because you are not really using your own Internal Qi.

Cheers,
    John
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Greetings..

I tend to avoid terms like "visualization", it leads students to non-productive imaginings.. if you can conceptualize what i mean, i try to get the student to put their mind (Yi) where their intention is.. this eliminates the mental task of visualizing.. Qi has an interesting characteristic of being curious, it flows to where our intention/mind is focused.. if i choose a target and put my intention/mind there, the Qi leaps along practiced paths to manifest itself at the point of focus.. as the Qi "leaps along" it animates the physical being into the appropriate action..

"Moment of Stillness" is not specifically a physical property of non-movement, rather a condition of clarity.. for FaJing to have useful benefits from a martial perspective, a required "moment of stillness" might be the same moment we are defenselss.. My experience leads me to believe that FaJing is manifested at any point through the practiced condition of "total commitment", a simple "knowing" it is already done.. since ultimately, the mind/spirit govern the physical being and Qi is uniquely physical AND non-physical.. the disciplined manifestation is as quick and accurate as the intention..

Anyway, that's only my perspective.. Be well...
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

Hello Tai Chi Bob,

Very valid points you have raised.

I believe there is no single best way of doing things, but through sharing we can all work towards bettering ourselves.

Cheers,
    John
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Blog Entries
    Hello imperialtaichi,

When practicing still mediation such as jam jong (standing stake) what should one be concentrating on to open up the dan tien?

Greetings..

When practicing still mediation such as jam jong (standing stake) what should one be concentrating on to open up the dan tien?
    Hi kung fu fighter: If i may share my perspective on this matter.. For me, personally, i try to avoid "concentrating" on any particular thing.. i try to still the mind so that the issues that might block the opening of the DanTien would be revealed.. in an ideal situation of relaxation the DanTien is naturally open, so.. it is our task to remove the blockages.. "concentration" sets up a condition that excludes other ideas, insights or revelations, it is a confined or limited perspective.. Healing and training are different than meditating and "Jam Jong" is a meditation.. it is a study in alignment, neuro-muscular control, Connective Tissue (CTS) activation, clarity of awareness, and energy balance.. these issues will not be revealed clearly if our minds are preoccupied with visualizations and concentrations.. from the perspective of the still mind we can discern the areas that need adjusting, then we can utilize the more appropriate methodologies such as healing, training and Qigongs to make the necessary adjustments...

The physical stillness required of "Jam Jong" is mirrored by a stillness of the mind.. it is a WuJi condition, training us to know our center, to develop the calm clarity from which appropriate action will naturally flow.. when we find that rare blend of good alignment, relaxed muscles, clarity, CTS activation and smooth energy flow, there is a tangible buzz and hum as our naturally tuned and higher self engages its physical potential.. it is a "high" that is quite unique.. the more often we can manifest this condition, the easier it becomes to find it when it is needed..

Be well..

Hi John.

Great topic, What do you think is a good amount of time to activate the CTS for standing jaam jong, Also would seated Jongs still have the CTS effect?

Regards
    Garry

Greetings..

Personally, i spend the first 4-5 minute of standing meditation evaluating alignment, sensing energies, and making initial adjustments.. then, i activate the CTS, it is a function of adjusted alignment and setting gentle tension on the spinal erector muscles (erector spinae) by pulling the chin in gently and raising the crown, you should feel a gentle tingle along the spine and back of neck.. if the hips (pelvis region), glutes, abs, low back, and "floor" muscles are relaxed, the "tingle" expands throughout the body.. this is specifically related to having the weight distributed over the arches and the balls of the feet.. when the spine is perpendicular to the ground and centered between the ankles, the body mass is forward of the spine and weight naturally falls to the arches and balls of the feet, still though, the heels must make firm contact with the ground.. if you compare the stance as described above with a stance with weight over the heels you will note a major difference.. the weight over heels stances feel lifeless and dull by comparison.. the described stances feel springy, alive and animated, the CTS is active and structure is dynamic, responsive and deeply grounded..

As for seated meditations, i gently point the index fingers until i feel the "tingling tension" along the palm side of the finger.. the sudden-ness of the ceasing of "mental chatter" is amazing, it is as though you have to consciously initiate thoughts.. the position of the spine is as described above, chin in, crown up and spine perpendicular to the ground.. from here i seem to hear a gentle "white noise", like hushed static with a deep reverberating hum, obvious but quietly gentle.. that is the CTS communication of vibrations, an area i am trying to learn to discern indications and meanings from.. what do the variations and fluctuations indicate? i cannot find any real study into this phenomenon, but.. if we can discern the messages vibrating through the CTS we should be able to better understand its potential.. A book by Lynn McTaggert, "The Field", has nicely referenced studies that hint at the almost limitless potential of utilizing this system..

As for times/durations, i tend to generate cycles of activated CTS and inactive CTS of about 5 minutes each.. this trains me to be familiar with the activation process and to more quickly activate it.. noting, of course, that in a natural relaxed state, the CTS activates itself as stimulus manifests its necessity.. like anything, balance is best, the CTS shouldn't always be activated, it can interfere with intense mental pursuits by its calming effect.. it can distract us from meaningful conversation as our attention flows inward to the "buzz" while awareness expands outward to encompass the environment as a whole.. so, it is a process of judgement as to when to activate the CTS, depending on the situation.. so far, it has proven highly advantageous to activate the CTS in conflict situations, the response to stimulus time is almost instantaneous and seems to have an appropriate intelligence of its own.. anyway, it is an adventure well worth the price of admission..

Incorporating the recent CTS information into my Taiji has so greatly enhanced the experience that i feel like a beginner again.. a huge new field of study and possibility.. an the potential to realize the wisdom of the Masters.. i sense that they naturally found these CTS activation techniques but lacked the scientific reasoning to adequately describe the process.. so, they left us with cryptic analogies.. Currently, backed by good science, we have a broad horizon to explore..

Be well..

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the breakdown, have they done any study into the healing effects of connecting the CTS system?

I know what you mean about buzzing, during my training my bones vibrate at a hi pitch that i hear a ringing like someone tapping a crystal glass. I told my Sifu he said its the body connecting with and synconising with the Chi around us as everything is Vibration.

Im at a state where i can do most of the form with this buzzing on a good day, can your CTS be done in constant flow of internal form or am i connecting something completely different??

cheers
    Garry

P.S You guys got me now studying this CTS info, much appreciated guys!

Greetings..

Hi Gary: It is possible to do the entire form with an activated CTS, though i find it optimum to vary this condition.. advancing in the "on" condition and retreating in the "off" condition.. this is useful especially when encountering another player sensitive to the CTS frequencies.. they will try to take advantage of the "off" condition (just about the time you turn it on, hehehe).. careful listening and timing will ensure that the opponent advances into an expanding CTS resulting in their pushing themselves backward.. (great fun)..

The "tingling hum" of an activated CTS is so comparable to certain "highs" that it's a little alarming at first.. then as the clarity and inherent natural "body knowledge" emerge, the effect is a little intoxicating but quickly appreciated for its superior potential.. Just last night at class we were studying alignment conditions for activating the CTS and applying them to the postures, one of my more "challenging" students (challenged by lack of sensitivity to energies) finally got a good CTS activation.. the expression on her face was priceless, then as i applied force and she was able to absorb so much more than previously (without physically resisting), her reaction turned to simple euphoria.. It is noteworthy that when the CTS is activated, you shouldn't "resist", the system absorbs and redistributes the force.. the redistribution can be directed downward with proper alignment, strengthening your rooting.. rather than resisting, you can rotate and expand, "bouncing" them away.. or create space inward where the opponent slips inside your "peng", then the rotation pulls them off their foundation and pushes them outward.. (great fun).. Resistance will usually diminish or cancel the CTS activation, resistance is "conflict", the CTS operates on a level several orders of magnitude more advanced than "resistance".. it is a harmony that overwhelms simple physical conditions..

All in all, though, the research is exciting in its potential.. it is directly relevant to Taiji.. and, so far, my experiences in this aspect of Taiji/CTS are so closely similar to what the ancestors describe as "real Taiji" that i am compelled to continue on this path.. Previously, i relied on clever use of muscular and alignment techniques to manage physical situations.. Now, this changes that perspective drastically, the CTS has an inherent ability to feel/sense the opponent's energies and respond appropriately.. i almost have to yield to my own CTS's response, keeping my "mind" from interfering.. it is a thing of true beauty.. The CTS responds according to my intention, no further contriving required, just trust.. aware of my intention, the CTS handles the dynamics accordingly.. it is learning to trust this system through training that is my current work in progress..

Be well..

Thanks Mate

What was that book called with the information regarding CTS and taiji?

Could you explain more about the finger pointing or positioning of it in regards to say "Jaam Jong" Tree Hugging Posture?

Garry

(Previously, I relied on clever use of muscular and alignment techniques to manage physical situations)

I must commend you for still being open enough to development and recognizing something quite different. There is time for all things.

Many people, many taiji people seem to get stuck at a certain level of development not realizing its just a beginning..
    enjoy life

Quote Originally Posted by TaiChiBob View Post

.... so far, my experiences in this aspect of Taiji/CTS are so closely similar to what the ancestors describe as "real Taiji" that i am compelled to continue on this path.. Previously, i relied on clever use of muscular and alignment techniques to manage physical situations.. Now, this changes that perspective drastically, the CTS has an inherent ability to feel/sense the opponent's energies and respond appropriately....
    Hello TaiChiBob,

Good on you

For years, I've been trying to let people know there are more to Tai Chi than smart alignment and mechanics, having your voice on the subject is definitely a positive step forward. I often get criticize for not having an observable classic stance, when, as one starts activating the "system", whether you call it CTS or Yin-Zhong-Yin, you don't always need the classic stance.

Unfortunately, many of the so-call "skilled" Tai Chi'ers still have not gone pass the physical level, so a big part of the Tai Chi world still doubt the more subtle methods. And then we have people who are completely making things up and cheating people, which makes honest blokes like you, me, and many of the nice people on this list lose credibility. Trying to spread the word and discussing the inner workings of Tai Chi often become difficult under such circumstances.

Cheers,
    John
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Hi Gentlemen,

The book is called “Through the Western Gate” by Rick Barrett. It has some very interesting information (and it is not that expensive, it may be easily found on Amazon.com), but for advanced practitioners you must wade through his methodical rational argument to get to the meat. I found his writing style to be a bit boring. His perspective is interesting because of the manner in which he uses western terminology and scientific research to address ancient Asian principles.

The finger pointing is very basic and easy to practice. Just keep in mind it is unnecessary for it to be the index finger; it may be a different finger or the whole hand, or the foot for that matter, LOL! It is the mental attitude one brings to the exercise, not what one focuses on the makes it effective. Barrett suggests the index finger is the easiest method for most people to learn to feel coherence, and I have to agree with him. Index finger pointing is well known and amongst some Japanese MA styles.

I have held the opposite view about forms than the opinions held by some. To me all forms are merely “useful expedients”; a means of helping one to learn to apply principles effectively, and only one way of many possible to choose from. It is less important to me what the movements or forms are and more important how well they help one to demonstrate and internalized principles. I always try to remember that whatever means I use, it is only a tool I am currently using to learn to apply principles and not the end goal.

In fact, to me one does not need to practice any forms at all. I refer you to the many times I have mentioned Shoju and his “Thrashing of the Master Swordsmen”. I am not saying anything derogatory about forms. They are a valuable tool, one of many possible tools to use. However, it is our unreasonable attachment to any tool (“useful expedient”) that may become our Achilles heel and hamper our continued development.

Greetings..

Kind thanks for the good thoughts.. <bows respectfully>.. some time back, i made a deal with myself, not to be one of those people that assume they are "right".. even though i had great success in competitive push-hands (usually placing in the top three with a few gold medals), i was still just being more clever and using external methods.. i decided to discard that path and seek the most authentic path to the wisdom of the Ancestors.. initially, it was difficult, the ego really liked the status gained from success, regardless of its authenticity.. but, after a few skirmishes with that beast of an ego, the deeper spirit began to sense the broad potential of "understanding" how this marvelous machine we call our bodies really works.. i will happily admit my misconceptions in favor of gaining deeper insights..

Imagine the difficulty of telling my students that what i have been teaching for 10 years is only a superficial fraction of what we can learn.. that we are going to make major changes to our training.. i am blessed with truly decent students, they basically said that they would trust me to figure it out and share appropriately.. so, i invited them to join me on a journey of discovery, i offered to greatly reduce fees since we were essentially going into this together.. but, bless them, they just keep things as they were.. this really compells me to be very sincere and dedicated to research, testing and transmitting experiences faithfully.. it is the respect that i have for the students, they've earned it.. they are also willing to pursue the highest potentials.. as a group, we really hold the principle of "investing in loss" to be valid..
    What was that book called with the information regarding CTS and taiji?
    Rick Barrett's book, "Through the Western Gate", brilliantly written.. and, as a link to the science of this stuff, Lynn McTaggert's book, "The Field".. and, the following links are great resources for gaining insights of the crucial importance of the CTS:

http://www.intelligentbody.org.uk/PaulLeeReview.php

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl..._n9153887/pg_2

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...04/ai_n8942183

http://theamt.com/modules.php?name=N...=print&sid=143

http://www.hellerwork.com/archives/000923.html

http://www.backfixbodywork.com/Athle...ement_Pt_2.htm

http://www.i-sis.org.uk/lcm.php

http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache...&ct=clnk&cd=25

Could you explain more about the finger pointing or positioning of it in regards to say "Jaam Jong" Tree Hugging Posture?
    It's so simple that it defies our reasoning.. it is a device that simply sets a vibration (the tingling sensation along the inside of the index finger) that signals the CTS to activate with intention.. The index finger holds a uniquely special place in our psyches, we use it to point, to make a point, to signify the No. 1 a superior position, we point to ourselves with it, we intimidate others by pointing threateningly with it, it squeezes triggers, it pushes buttons, etc... so, it signals the CTS that we have a purpose or an intention that includes the CTS as holistic system activity.. further intentions are then interpreted through the CTS's inherent connections through the body, and beyond.. (see the referenced links for explanations of CTS intelligence).. In "Jaam Jong", maintain the same posture (or adopt the one i previously described) and point the index fingers so that the ends of the fingers are +/- 3-4 inches apart and pointing toward each other.. as you develop sensitivities, you will notice the flow of energies from finger-tip to finger-tip.. this is subtle confirmation of how our energies extend beyond our physical bodies.. it neat to observe how our physical posture changes when we switch from pointing to not pointing, it is observable, i do this in the "Jaam Jong" posture and then when i am lying in bed,, lying in bed, i can feel the whole body change from a resting mass in the non-pointing condition to a "Peng" condition when i point, a really neat verification of the CTS active status..

With the CTS activated movements become more "natural", the CTS utilizes the most efficient and powerful structures of the body, it relies on our most commonly used paths of motion (most well trained in normal uncontrived motions).. the CTS predates the development of mental processes that we use to contrive movement, it was already the primary "intelligence" when the species began to evolve a higher order of brain/mind processes.. Contrived movements inherently have conflicting muscular interactions.. imagine handing a glass of water to a friend, you simply "do it".. no contrived musculoskeletal postures or power-generating movements, because it's already there.. those contrivances already exist in our "natural" movements, they manifest according to necessity of stimulus.. it is when we contrive movement and posture that we set the condition of internal conflict..

So, i search for the most "natural" movements i routinely perform that most closely approximate the movements and postures of the form(s).. from that perspective i apply the natural pathways of motion to the form.. as an example: when i am just playing, say frisbee or surfing, i hardly ever find myself with my weight settled into the heels.. the weight is distributed in the arches and balls of the feet, it is an active and alive condition, ready to move and play in an instant.. now, if i consciously shift my weight into the heels, i can noticably feel my entire posture fall into a static resting condition which must be reactivated for action.. so, now, i adjust my form(s) to keep my weight centered over the arches and balls of the feet, relying on the heels as braces against applied force.. try this as someone gently increases the force of a push against your center, bring the force into the arches and balls of the feet, letting the heels act as a bracing strut.. you will be quite surprised at how much more force you can absorb than with the weight over your heels.. add to that a good CTS activated posture (previously described) and some subtle pointing, and the amount of force you can absorb defies reason.. and, just for fun, try this with the feet parallel and side-by-side, you will be amazed... oh, crucial to this exercise is having a relaxed Kua (hips/pelvis) region, it eliminates the resistance of overly tensed muscles and connects the upper half with the lower half of the body.. from here, the CTS establishes "energetic coherence" throughout the body and ditributes the incoming force as appropriately as you are capable of "intending" it to.. The CTS will effect intention instantly and appropriately, it will assign the appropriate CTS/muscle ratios for immediate manifestation of the "intention".. it is when we try to "think" it that things get fragmented..

Sorry for rambling, i got a bit carried away.. Be well..

regarding cts activation: is it just a matter of aligning properly over and over until you notice the feeling? is there something the mind needs to do to send the "go" signal? when i stand, and after doing forms for awhile i feel very "full" in the hands and arms--very relaxed, yet strong. it almost seems as if i have a field of something that emanates from my skin. are these signs of cts activation, or something else?
    Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po
    You then walk backwards, forcing him off his feet and then drag him by the eye socket and lips. You can pull so hard that the lips tear away. You will never hear such screaming.