Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Houston Shaolin Kung Fu Academy & The Shaolin Monk Tour

oh really. so calling shaolin one particular system is wrong? u obviously not understanding anything anyone is saying; even gene who has more knowledge in martial arts matters than you do. shaolin is one system with many styles under its banner. and that harvard comment made no sense. harvard is a school . like shaolin. has many areas of study under it just like shaolin. so dont make a comment about going to harvard and studying harvard lol. what do u study exactly. u have not brought in anything bout what u studied. just interesting. most people who come to argue usually bring up there style into it and compare things. so what do u study? if u havent studied any aspect of shaolin i dont think u can give any good opinion or argument to the shaolin board.

and u r misreading what i said. i did say the applications r still being taught. u just dont see it really. but this is not an argument. this is just what i know how things r done. forms r taught first. then if master wants to he would teach applications of the form to someone who understands. like qi gong for example. cant expect a student to start training that in there first week. but y u asking bout the system or whatver when u gave a list of what u say is traditional sytems of shaolin. makes no sense to attack a school about there curriculum. yet u turn around with ur own answer.

Originally I looked on the Houston Shaolin website and all I saw was a bunch of crap contemperary wushu, some sanda classes, and "traditional shaolin". When I asked what system of traditional Shaolin kungfu is being taught all I got was a bunch misdirection. Considering the teacher is suppose to be a Shaolin monk I thought this would have been an easy question. Apparently not. What kind of crap school is this that can't even answer what system it is they teach?

Cheers,

so what style of martial art do u study

It's been a while since we had a decent Shaolin troll...

...lord know the old SD threads were getting boring around here.

You can quote me all you like, bungbukuen, but you are being selective like any good troll. Like I said initially, I think Xinghao's root style was Chuo Jiao. I'm sure he's not teaching that to his general classes. He was a performer, so he can do wushu, like many of the monks and his basic curriculam is probably based on Shaolin jibengong and the standard Shaolin basic forms. But he's got a lot for his indoor disciples that doesn't appear on the website. In fact, I'm not sure he'd be that happy about me disclosing his Chuo Jiao expertise.

Xinghao was one of the first generation tourist teachers. That's a real important point, because the first gen monks had to be able to do everything - perform, teach in many other languages and answer challenges. Challenges are fought at Shaolin all of the time. It was worse in the early years, but just do the math - 80 registered schools at 100-500 students on average, the largest coming in at around 19,000 students. Do you really think that no one ever fights there? It's really more of the second gen monks are of the wushu variety; those are the ones you want to criticize.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Gene,
    Why am I a troll if I consistently ask a pertinent question (i.e. what Shaolin system they train?), stay on topic, and keep a conservative no BS attitude? And where was I being selective in quoting you? You very directly stated in your article that modern day Songshan Shaolin contrasts Bak Sil Lum in the number of forms and cohesion of forms. You also said modern day Sonshan Shaolin had a contemporary wushu based curriculum and taught san da. Are you denying that?I am sure Houston Shaolin is exactly the same.

It sounds to me like Xinghao's traditional training has nothing to do with his contemporary Shaolin training and more likely comes from his childhood when he studied Chuo Jiao. But it still does not answer my original question: What traditional Shaolin system is being taught at Houton Shaolin? Anymore Houston Shaolin takers?

bungbukuen ...
    > it is your mind, that creates this world >

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by bungbukuen
    Gene,
    Why am I a troll if I consistently ask a pertinent question (i.e. what Shaolin system they train?), stay on topic, and keep a conservative no BS attitude? And where was I being selective in quoting you? You very directly stated in your article that modern day Songshan Shaolin contrasts Bak Sil Lum in the number of forms and cohesion of forms. You also said modern day Sonshan Shaolin had a contemporary wushu based curriculum and taught san da. Are you denying that?I am sure Houston Shaolin is exactly the same.

It sounds to me like Xinghao's traditional training has nothing to do with his contemporary Shaolin training and more likely comes from his childhood when he studied Chuo Jiao. But it still does not answer my original question: What traditional Shaolin system is being taught at Houton Shaolin? Anymore Houston Shaolin takers?

bungbukuen, you consistently have asked the same question. I consistently gave you an answer. I have no idea what background or experience you have. The answer was not good enough for you so instead you disrespectfully flamed Houston Shaolin Academy and called it "crap". I even gave you the phone number to the school for you to call and ask your question(s) and yet you can't even do that. It's obvious why you can't because your intentions are just to instigate nonesense. All you can do is post garbage and repeat yourself.

Now, there is nothing wrong with asking the question. There is nothing wrong if you disagree or don't like shaolin. The school gets walk ins every now and then and they ask the same question. It's the way that you have presented yourself and the manner you have asked the question that makes you a troll. You have misread posts, been rude, put words in people's mouths, and been flat out disrespectful. You expect people to help you out and help answer your questions when you act like that?

So, with that being said, it looks like you will not find out any answers to your questions. Your mind has already made its decision and there is probably nothing that will change it.
    Last edited by Songshan; 06-13-2006 at 01:21 AM.

Songshan - still no answer from you. Does anyone at your school actually know what system you guys are studying? Besides contemperary wushu and sport sanda that is.

Cheers!.

There's nothing wrong with being a troll, bungbukuen

Like I said, things have been a bit boring round these parts, so your 'devil's advocate discourse' is actually refreshing. There's nothing like a good troll, but a really good troll doesn't go for the old 'feign innocence' ploy, he produces the classic YHBT at the end. Do that, and we'll all respect you.

But back to the 'pertinent question', last I heard, Xiaohongquan was not part of the contemporary wushu compulsories and would be useless for nandu now.

BTW, you aren't part of Deshan's school, are you?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Songshan - still no answer from you. Does anyone at your school actually know what system you guys are studying? Besides contemperary wushu and sport sanda that is.
    What part of call the school do you not understand?? I am done with you bungbukuen, done.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing
    BTW, you aren't part of Deshan's school, are you?

Does anyone have any insight what so ever into what traditional Shaolin system is being taught at Houston Shaolin? It just dumbfounds me that a shcool who claims to be teaching traditional Shaolin can not even tell you what it is in fact that they are teaching. The only details they give on their website chang quan (contemperary wushu), sanda (Chinese kickboxing), and taiji. Then they have the pretentiousness to just list 'traditional Shaolin'.

Does anyone have any insight what so ever into what traditional Shaolin system is being taught at Houston Shaolin?
    Yes, quite a few of us do

Just Call The **** School

Does anyone have any insight what so ever into what traditional Shaolin system is being taught at Houston Shaolin? It just dumbfounds me that a shcool who claims to be teaching traditional Shaolin can not even tell you what it is in fact that they are teaching. The only details they give on their website chang quan (contemperary wushu), sanda (Chinese kickboxing), and taiji. Then they have the pretentiousness to just list 'traditional Shaolin'.

See I don't understand why you keep asking the question. You have been given the phone number to the school on several occasions. If you were truly interested in an answer you would pick up the phone and call.

Why are you dissin the school? Do you want to become a student? If not then whatever they teach is no concern of yours.

...still no answer ???

So this is what it comes down to. When students of Houston Shoalin are pushed for a simple answer as to what system is being taught they go silient. It definitely raises some red flags as to the legitamacy of school operations and even teacher.

Simple advice for Houston Shaolin: do some face saving PR, come out with an official public statement, and clearly state what traditional Shaolin system is being taught (in addition to contemperary wushu, sanda and taiji).

It is quite interesting how one simply little question can create so much apparent chaos

Cheers,
    BBK