Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Science of Qigong

well what a great post and i fully agree `100%, the more i do chi kung and meditation the more i learn and understand what is happening inside and out of me.

Greetings..

At the risk of ridicule, i will offer my personal interpretation of QiGong.. it is as it implies, "Energy Work".. has anyone ever seen the "poor-man's QiGong", like some of the stuff you see in the parks of China, people just walking in place and moving their arms? That's QiGong, too.. One of my mentors used to say that QiGong was in danger of over-specialization.. that too much "intent" applied to too limited of a QiGong set will do more harm than good.. we have to keep the holistic perspective, and work the whole system.. secret and laboriously detailed movements are likely to reduce the overall system's effectiveness.. I know too many people that practice QiGong designed for specific conditions/ailments as though it was a daily regimen, this is counterproductive.

Of more concern, to me, is the ultimate purpose, "Living"! I see too many people spending so much of their precious time pursuing lofty goals and, forgeting to simply "Live".. there should be a beneficial balance. There are the hardcore MA/MMA types, training continuously for that next opportunity to showcase their talents.. There are the dedicated QiGong disciples arranging their lives around their practice.. In the end, i look back over 40 or more years in this game and wonder, how much did i miss.. Certainly, the training is/was great and it added a desired value to my life, but.. i see delightfully contented older folks watching us in our practices with an amused smile.. i wonder, do we sometimes forget to simply respect the process of living.. forget to sit down with friends or even strangers and interact as beings on this lourney called Life.. Do we think of ourselves as somehow "superior" to those that choose other expressions of Living..

Okay, i'm feeling a little out of sorts today, but.. it seemd like something i needed to say.. BE WELL!!
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

Quote Originally Posted by crossingtalon
    I have been practicing Qigong for just over a year now. I am still very new to it and it's principles. I consider myself a beginner, although I have been doing it long enough now to know that it is real and there are truths to the myth. I use it to meditate, relieve stress, achieve good health and receive wisdom. Based on my own experiences there has been enough evidence to make me believe that there is much to be learned from this practice both on a wisdom and spirtual level. With regards to the myth that supernatural powers can be achieved, I believe it is possible to attain them in the higher levels of attainment but not without a lot of practice. My personal view is that we may be better off without these gifts. I have a feeling that with such gifts comes great responsibility and temptations to use them in the wrong way. I study from a very skilled Qigong practicioner who prefers not to be called a master (Although I believe she is a master). She tells the story of how Qigong allowed her to be cured from terminal cancer over 20 years ago. She has helped heal many people who were ill with cancer and other diseases. The Qigong that I have learned about is all about harnessing and using the good energy of the universe. On a side note, I have noticed a curious similarity with the "Force" that was used in the movie "Star Wars" and the "Qi" that is used in QiGong. The older I get I seem to find that there always seems to be some truth in most myths.
    Whether you believe in Qigong or not is up to you. My humble view is that Qigong, if done correctly, is one of many ways to be healthy, grow spiritually and evolve as a human being.

crossing talon
    It sounds as though your teacher has very good skills. Would you be willing to tell us about her and if she has a school?

Greetings..

It occurrs to me what i was feeling when i last posted.. The narrowness of focus.. At the risk of redundancy, i will use the Connective Tissue System (CTS) for reference.. While there is no doubt that the ancestors were onto some superior techniques, we can't stop there.. their contributions were the first steps in a long journey. I think that we (me included) tend to confine QiGong to centuries-old practices when there is so much current and new information about our body's inner workings.. We are blessed with the benefits of brave new explorers into the nuances of these marvelous physical/spiritual machines we call bodies.. We can explain and duplicate some of the previously "Mystical" traits of Taiji and QiGong through an understanding of the results of Biophysicists and Molecular scientists and theoretical physicists.. We can see the scientific principles behind the magic of the ancestors..

Balance.. within and without.. there seems to a balanced perspective to be gained from a blend of East and West.. Anyway, it just occurred to me why i was feeling at odds with some of these posts..

Be well..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"