Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Jackie Chan

continued from previous post

Jackie now spends more time with his feet on the ground.

It was really him up there, getting punched, kicked, thrown through all those windows, hit by all those cars, hanging from that helicopter over Kuala Lumpur. You have never seen another movie star suffer as much cumulative physical pain and place himself in as much danger as Jackie Chan has. The way things are going, you probably never will.
    Jackie speaks about five languages rather well, but because he's been working in China so much lately, his English is rustier than usual. Then again, he's always made himself understood through movement. He's been telling stories with his body his entire life.
    When he talks about how he came up with a move from one of his iconic fight sequences in a movie called Snake in Eagle's Shadow, his arm becomes a cobra again, like it did the first time he did the move, practicing late one night in a hotel mirror in 1979, the night before he shot the scene.
    When Chan says, "I know I'm not young anymore. I cannot continue to make Rush Hour 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. How can I continue [to] do this kind of funny face," he pretends to throw a punch and then makes a face like Holy ****, that hurt, because it can hurt to punch somebody, often as much as being punched—a truth about human frailty that Jackie made into a comic trademark, as befits the Tom Hanks of kung fu movies.

If you've lost track of Jackie since the last Rush Hour or so, one thing you need to know is that, as a filmmaker and actor, he's mostly been producing product tailored specifically for the multiplex theaters now proliferating across mainland China—lavish historical action dramas, heavy with patriotic messaging about, like, the importance of repatriating Qing dynasty artifacts and the heroism of ordinary Chinese railroad workers during the Second Sino-Japanese War. Even the nominally Western-looking Skiptrace—the one with Johnny Knoxville as Jackie's reluctant partner, directed by Finnish action auteur Renny Harlin (Die Hard 2) from a script by two Americans—was a joint U.S.-Chinese production conceived, Chan says, to showcase China's culture and natural beauty in all their vast variety.
    He's bigger than he's ever been, just not in America. Skiptrace, which in all likelihood you have not seen, unless you're a Renny Harlin completist? It cost only $30 million to make and earned over USD 136 million last year, mostly in China.
    Another recent Jackie movie called Kung Fu Yoga—the first product of an Indian-Chinese co-production agreement signed in New Delhi in 2014 by India's minister of Information and Broadcasting and China's director of State General Administration of Press, Publication, Radio, Film and Television, because that is the kind of United Nations **** that precedes the green-lighting of a Jackie Chan movie now—opened and closed in the United States within four weeks and made $362,657. In China, it made $254 million.
    As of 2017, according to Forbes, Jackie was the world's 39th-highest-paid entertainer, which puts him behind Beyoncé, LeBron James, and The Rock but ahead of Kim Kardashian, Tom Cruise, and Taylor Swift.
    He now has a sprawling portfolio of business interests outside the movie industry, particularly mainland-China brand-ambassador partnerships brokered through the Hong Kong–based luxury-goods importer Sparkle Roll Holdings. Around 2010, he moved his operations from Hong Kong to Beijing. Also, after years of not having been a publicly political guy in any way, the newly wealthy Jackie has become vocally and sometimes vociferously pro-China.
    People say Jackie became a patriot when he got rich, or got rich because he was so willing to become a patriot. Either way, it's cost him some fans back in Hong Kong, the city of his birth. So have remarks like the ones he made in 2012, when he referred to Hong Kong as a chaotic "city of protest marches" and suggested that more stringent public-demonstration laws might help make the city great again. It wasn't the first time he'd said stuff like this, nor the last.
    On one level, The Foreigner, which also stars Pierce Brosnan as a sexy, compromised Gerry Adams analogue, is a pure product of a new vertically integrated moment in Jackie's career. It was financed by Jackie and his friends at the media division of Sparkle Roll, the Chinese conglomerate Huyai Brothers Media, and STX Entertainment, the private-equity-incubated Hollywood media start-up that brought you Bad Moms.
    But it's also the first must-see Jackie movie in years, a gray-lion action movie in the Taken mold, a film that builds on the fact that Jackie is not as young as he used to be, instead of pretending it's not obvious. Director Martin Campbell—best known for bridging the Brosnan and Daniel Craig eras of the James Bond franchise—keeps the action sequences fast, lean, and brutal. But like the original Taken, in which Liam Neeson's aura of lived-in sorrow elevated a fantasy about cathartic revenge and masculine über-competence, this is a movie with an actual performance at its center, one that may surprise even the biggest Chan stans.
    Beginning in the late '70s, Jackie made a string of hugely successful Chinese-language action comedies in which he borrowed shamelessly from Charlie Chaplin, Harold Lloyd, and Buster Keaton, injecting the solemn martial-arts-movie formula with visual wit and suicidal daring. In the best films he made between 1978's Drunken Master (under the influence, lazy goof becomes virtuoso fighter) and 1985's Police Story (modern-day Jackie as a modern-day cop, part one of a franchise), what you're watching is one of the most brilliant physical comedians in the history of movies entering world cinema through the side door of genre (or, this being Jackie, the second-floor window).
    But he hasn't done a lot of capital-A acting. He tends to play the same guy over and over, a regular dude caught up in insane circumstances, as surprised to find himself doing crazy daredevil **** as you or I would be. Like a lot of true movie stars, he's always seemed nervous about turning off the charm. Even when he staggers into an alley to puke up scotch as a tormented cop in 2004's uncharacteristically gritty New Police Story, there's something Chaplin-esque about the wobble in his legs.
    The Foreigner does build to a pretty incredible close-quarters fist-and-gun fight in which Jackie, as the broken-man protagonist Mr. Quan, is seen kicking ass and weaponizing household objects like Fred Astaire dancing with a hat rack. But the movie takes quite a while to get there, and in that time a surprisingly dialed-down and vulnerable Jackie delivers a keenly affecting performance as a parent who has lost a child and knows he can't get her back no matter how many IRA goons he takes out with MacGyver-esque IEDs and punji sticks and his own bloody knuckles.
    Campbell says he was a Jackie fan from way back, but he had never considered Jackie for The Foreigner, until he watched The Karate Kid.
    "There's a marvelous scene where [Jackie's character] destroys this car," Campbell says. "I think it was a car crash that killed his family, and he survived, and every year he reconstructs and remodels this car to perfect condition, and on the day of their death he smashes it with a sledgehammer, as a kind of wailing wall, as it were. He's excellent in that film. That really was the clue for me that he could do this."
    "If I'm [to] continue on in the film industry," Jackie says, "I have to change. Otherwise, you gone. You see—in Japan. Korea. America. China. Hong Kong. How many action star all gone? Only few can stay. Stallone's different. He's a legend. Other action stars already gone.
    "So that's why I'm looking for different script, different character, different Jackie Chan. I want the audience look at Jackie Chan as an actor. Not the action star. Actor who can fight. Look at Clint Eastwood. If he continue to 'Make my day'? Gone. So he change to directing. He change some other things. Look at Al Pacino. Robert De Niro. I wanna be an Asian Robert De Niro, Dustin Hoffman, Al Pacino.
    "I want the movie not just finished, released, gone," Jackie says. "I want the movie 20 years later—right now, you still see Titanic. Wow! So good! Twenty years later, Avatar, still good. I don't want to make a movie, boom, finish, release one month, gone.
    "The Sound of Music," Jackie Chan says. "So good!"

Jackie's first real American hit was Rumble in the Bronx, in 1995. It featured Jackie speaking English, a predominantly Western cast, and an extraordinary hovercraft chase. It was filmed in Vancouver, and there are a few shots in which the snowcapped mountains of the Bronx are clearly visible in the background.
    New Line Cinema picked up the American rights to Rumble for $5 million and gave it the tagline "No fear, no stuntman, no equal"; it made $32 million and became the first Hong Kong movie ever to top the U.S. box-office charts. New Line picked up a few more of his Chinese movies and re-released them, as did Miramax. They did okay, for Americanized versions of films his cultists had already seen. One of those cultists thought he could improve on that.
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Brett Ratner was a 27-year-old music-video director with exactly one feature film to his credit, but he was also a Jackie Chan fanatic. He wanted to put Jackie in an edgy urban buddy-cop movie, one that would place him on equal footing with an American star instead of making him a sidekick, one where Jackie would wear a black suit and look cool. He found out Jackie was filming a movie in South Africa.
    "I got on a plane," says Ratner, calling from a treadmill, "and flew 22 hours to have lunch with him. We get to the restaurant. It's a Chinese restaurant in South Africa. So weird. And he feeds me abalone. It was like a piece of rubber. And I'm chewing it and spitting it in my napkin.
    "Then he gives me a glass of wine," says Ratner, who doesn't drink or smoke, "and I have to pretend like I'm drinking it. Then he's like, Let's smoke a cigar, and I'm like, Is this guy testing me? What the hell? All the things I don't do."
    Ratner pitched Jackie, and Jackie listened, and didn't say yes or no, and then he drove Ratner back to the airport. A few days later Ratner got word that Jackie was in. Not long after that Jackie flew to Los Angeles so that Ratner could introduce him to his future co-star, Chris Tucker.
    "They had a conversation for 30 minutes," Ratner says. "I love you Jackie Chan! You the man! And [Jackie] was all, Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you again. Halfway through, Chris says, Brett, can we talk outside for a minute? and I go, Yeah.
    "And we go outside, and Chris says, Brett, Jackie Chan don't speak English! How we gon' do a movie when he don't speak English? I said, Oh, it'll be fine. Anyway. We go back in. Chris leaves. I said, Jackie, how did you like Chris? And Jackie says, I like Chris, but I don't understand how he talks. I said to myself, This is going to be ****ing genius."
    Rush Hour grossed more than $140 million—it was the seventh-biggest movie of 1998, outperforming the likes of Godzilla and Deep Impact—and spawned a franchise that has so far generated more than $800 million. But it didn't really lead Jackie to great roles in good movies. In the years that followed, Hollywood basically treated him like a kids'-menu item in dreck like Around the World in 80 Days and The Spy Next Door and The Tuxedo. Rush Hour bought him a $3 million house in Beverly Hills—right down the street from Harold Lloyd's old place—and he was presented with an honorary Oscar in 2016, but he's never really been challenged and protected by an American director in quite the same way.
    "Jackie has, in my opinion, gotten exploited, in a way," Ratner says. "He started doing these movies where they were making him look like a ****ing buffoon. And he went for it and he made some bad choices."
    That said, Ratner adds: "I just saw the new movie"—The Foreigner—"and I thought he was brilliant in it. I always said he's a real actor. But he never got his opportunity, and I think with this new film, there's some people who are going to be surprised."

Pierce Brosnan calls from Hawaii, having just finished spearfishing, which is the most Pierce Brosnan–ish way to begin a phone call. Brosnan says Jackie acquitted himself brilliantly on the set every day, but that they never really got to know each other, because at the end of the day Jackie would hop on his jet and go home.
    "I remember there were waste-disposal garbage cans on the set that were collapsible, and he just fell in love with them. He'd buy 50 of them," Brosnan says. "Really. Or on the craft service, there were these tables, and he liked the way the tables were made, so he'd buy, y'know, 12 of those, and ship them all back to China. Quite extraordinary."
    This is the best anecdote Pierce Brosnan has to share, and they made an entire movie together. There were dinners scheduled, Brosnan says, but they fell through, which means that Pierce Brosnan never actually had dinner with Jackie Chan.
    But I did, and what I can tell you is that if Jackie Chan invites you to his restaurant, you should go. He owns a fine-dining traditional-Chinese restaurant located near the city center of Beijing, in what was once a three-story Burberry store. Everyone who comes from out of town to visit him at the International Stunt Training Base is invited to dinner with him and his stunt team.
    If Jackie Chan invites you to dinner and it takes longer for the rest of the dinner guests to arrive, you might get to sit with him beforehand in a private antechamber, and he might pull out his laptop and show you some things.
    Here are some concept illustrations for some new products he wants to introduce—some kind of new take on the plastic bottle that he says Will Smith is interested in partnering with him on, modular coffee stands made of reclaimed wood and metal, so many patent applications and business ideas you will start to wish you'd brought along a prospectus for him to review.
    Here are some videos. First a YouTube-style supercut of his gnarliest injuries. Then a kind of infomercial for Jackie Chan, chronicling his philanthropic efforts around the world, which begins as a somewhat uncomfortable thing to sit through in the presence of its subject and eventually floods and disables whatever part of your brain controls the cynicism response, because holy **** this guy does a lot of nice things for people, especially children.
    Here's Jackie detonating land mines in Cambodia (sadly, not with his bare hands). Here's Jackie hanging out with tsunami survivors and New York City schoolkids who witnessed 9/11. Here's Jackie getting off the plane he chartered so he could fly to China's Qinghai province and comfort survivors of the 2010 Yushu earthquake. Here's Jackie donating coats to the elderly. It all starts to blur together—so many oversize checks, so many shots of Jackie high-fiving fans, the testimonials from Arnold Schwarzenegger and Zhang Yimou and Jeffrey Katzenberg and Owen Wilson and Sly Stallone.
    Jackie also sings the theme song for this video, and at some point during the screening he pulls a Bluetooth speaker out of his bag and pairs it with his laptop, so we can hear his voice more clearly.
    Here is Jackie, giving his time and money from Holland to Rwanda to East Timor. Here, for some reason, is Lionel Richie.
    There is also a good chance that if you get to talk to Jackie in a context like this, he will talk **** about Hong Kong without even really being prompted to do so.
    At one point in this conversation, Jackie tells a long and difficult-to-summarize story about how and why he came to own eight almost 400-year-old sandalwood houses from China's Anhui province. It begins many years ago, with Jackie deciding to buy a nearly 400-year-old sandalwood house, which he planned to disassemble and rebuild in Hong Kong for his aging father (who died in 2008) to live in.
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Once he and his father realize that these houses, lacking air-conditioning and indoor plumbing, aren't exactly what a modern person would consider livable, Jackie decides he wants to donate what is now his collection of almost 400-year-old sandalwood houses—because of course in the meantime he's acquired seven additional nearly 400-year-old sandalwood houses, plus a pavilion and an opera stage—to the city of Hong Kong, as a historical attraction. But the fire department gives him a hard time and the politicians give him a hard time, and the story ends with Jackie donating his houses to a university in Singapore instead. The moral seems to be that Jackie had to leave Hong Kong, because Hong Kong drove him away by being a city run by jerks.
    "In Hong Kong," Jackie says, "everybody know Jackie Chan. Everybody friend. But they know money, more than friend. In China, money nothing. Friend, important. They so rich in China, they say, Jackie Chan, you move in, free. I just use your name—Jackie Chan movie theater, Jackie Chan restaurant. I pay you. In Hong Kong, I know a lot of rich people—Yeah, Jackie, come on, open some restaurant—but the rental very expensive."
    You can ask if it makes him feel sad, this situation, the perception in his old hometown that their hero has turned heel, and he will answer a different question.
    "A lot of people ask, 'Somebody screw you on the Internet. Are you angry?' I say no. Me? So happy. If 7 billion people didn't like me, that's a problem. I must change. If only 1 million people don't like you? It's okay."
    His stuntmen have arrived and arrayed themselves around a big round table. Dinner is served. Jackie does not stop moving. He ladles food onto his guests' plates, pours wine, pops up to fetch carafes of Moutai, a lethally potent clear liquor distilled from fermented sorghum. It's Jackie's own signature Moutai, produced as a tie-in product with Dragon Blade, a 2015 Jackie movie about Romans on the Silk Road that for reasons unexplained by Chinese or Roman history co-starred John Cusack.
    He will give you a bottle of it. You don't even have to ask.
    If you are invited to dinner at Jackie Chan's restaurant, you will be warned that he doesn't like to be interviewed while he eats, and that at some point he will rap his fists on the table, which indicates that the meal is over, and no one will linger long after that. At some point when you have all had a Moutai or two, perhaps he will get a little mellow, a little free-associative, and the table talk will go quiet so that people can listen to him speak.
    He will talk about the ten years of Dickensian privation he endured as a ward of the China Drama Academy, where he learned the skills required to perform Peking opera—acting, singing, tumbling, stage combat, the roots of what he does in movies to this day—and also how to take a caning.
    "You get up five o'clock in the morning. Training until five o'clock. We would never take off the shoes. You don't have time to take off the shoes. Tough training. Very tough. Hours—a thousand punch, 500 kick. Pa, pa, pa, pa, pa. Turn-around kick, hundred. Left side, hundred."
    He was one of hundreds. All these boys and girls at the drama school. A few of them went on to be movie actors like he did. But only Jackie has a hundred films. Only Jackie has private jets with his name on the tail. A restaurant. All this. If you bring this up to Jackie at the right moment, he will allow himself to marvel at it, for a minute or two.
    "Sometimes I look back myself. It really is a miracle," Jackie says. "So many people work very hard. Why I just come out? Lucky, yes. It's not just lucky. I work very hard, when I was young. Everybody sleeping, I still watch the mirror, to do a drunken style."
    Then he pounds the table in rhythm and his stuntmen join him in pounding the table, and with that the meal is concluded.

Alex Pappademas also has the body of a vital 63-year-old man.
    This story originally appeared in the October 2017 issue with the title "Still Kicking."
    Jackie was just in the Bay Area. He made an appearance at the workplace of one of my shidi. He got to shake Jackie's hand and tell him what an inspiration he has been to him. I'm still jealous.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

2017 in review

Box-office hits suggest Jackie Chan is master of China zeitgeist
    Actor’s roles defeating foreigners nicely follow the narrative in an enormous market that welcomes Chan far more than Hong Kong does
    BY CLARENCE TSUI
    28 DEC 2017

Jackie Chan in his newest release, Bleeding Steel, predicted to be another big earner at the Chinese box office.

Looking back on 2017, the Hong Kong film industry’s premier torch-bearer was indisputably Kara Wai Ying-hung, who began the year by scoring her third best actress prize at the Hong Kong Film Awards, this time for her role in Happiness (2016), and ended the 12 months by winning a Golden Horse for her perfor*mance as a manipulative, well-connected Taiwanese matriarch in this year’s The Bold, the Corrupt and the Beautiful .

In between, Wai not only salvaged uneven action thriller Mrs K with her agile turn as a homemaker confronting her criminal past, but also appeared in Luc Besson-produced fantasy blockbuster The Warriors Gate , decidedly trashy Death Ouija 2, romcom 77 Heartbreaks and suspense thriller The Mysteries Family.

Only one other Hong Kong movie veteran has been able to match the 57-year-old in terms of productivity in 2017. Across the border, an actor six years her senior has graced cineplexes as a treasure-hunting archaeologist in India, a patriotic partisan in China and a grieving father avenging his daughter’s death in a terrorist attack in Britain. He has also lent his voice to Mandarin versions of The Lego Ninjago Movie and BBC documentary Earth: One Amazing Day.

Kara Wai (left), Ke-Xi Wu, and Vicky Chen in The Bold, the Corrupt, and the Beautiful . But for Chan, Wai would be Hong Kong’s busiest film star this year.

As you’re reading this, he has two films on release, playing a special agent in futuristic action-thriller Bleeding Steel , and an old shopkeeper in the Chinese adaptation of Japanese novel Miracles of the Namiya General Store .

If not for a shuffle of China’s film release schedules, he would have scored a hat-trick of appearances during the lucrative New Year’s Day holiday with a cameo in Dante Lam Chiu-yin’s military blockbuster Operation Red Sea.

Take a bow, Jackie Chan.

The action-film icon has had an extremely busy 2017, not appearing in as many films in a single calendar year since 1985, when he enjoyed leading roles in five blockbusters that grossed a total of HK$120 million at the local box office – a figure which, even before being adjusted for inflation, remains astounding. Four of those films – My Lucky Stars; Twinkle, Twinkle Lucky Stars; Police Story; and Heart of Dragon – ended the year at the top of Hong Kong’s box office charts.

Jackie Chan in Miracles of the Namiya General Store.

Now perceived as passé and pompous in his home city, Chan – whose real given name, Kong-sang, translates as “born in Hong Kong” – appears in the news mostly for the wrong reasons. Once fawning over his every move and referring to him as Dai Gor (“big brother”), the local entertainment press now treats him with scorn: his frequent and invariably denigrating outbursts against Hong Kong have proven to be of much more interest than, say, his acceptance of an honorary Oscar.

Not that he seems to care, given the way he has endeared himself to consumers in China. His films Railroad Tigers (2016), Kung Fu Yoga (2017) and The Foreigner (2017) have generated 3 billion yuan (US$460 million) in ticket sales this year, with Bleeding Steel and Miracles of the Namiya General Store expected to add another billion.

If not for Jacky Wu Jing’s record-breaking Wolf Warrior 2 , Chan could easily have been China’s highest-grossing film star of 2017.

Jackie Chan (right) in Railroad Tigers.

Far from being an anomaly, China’s embrace of Chan speaks volumes about consumption and behavioural patterns, his success illustrating China’s demand for globetrotting, sensationalist entertainment.

By any measure, Sino-Indian co-production Kung Fu Yoga is tacky and culturally tone deaf, with its comical rehashing of Indiana Jones tropes and warped caricatures of Indian culture. Released over the Lunar New Year holiday, the film eventually trumped Tsui Hark’s Journey to the West: Demons Strike Back at the Chinese box office, taking in nearly 1.75 billion yuan.

While Kung Fu Yoga might have benefited from its extended run in cinemas, as well as its release as China was courting India for the “Belt and Road Initiative”, China’s plan to grow global trade, there were many complimentary comments online about its car chases, slapstick-fuelled choreography (Chan still kicks people in the crotch), and exotic settings (India, Dubai) and characters (gaudy snake charmers and photogenic Indian actors).

Jackie Chan (top, left) in a scene from Kung Fu Yoga.

Just as importantly, audiences appreciate how Chan’s heroes beat the living daylights out of foreign villains – a tendency, perhaps, that echoes China’s rise. He outwits Indian mercenaries in Kung Fu Yoga, dispatches inhuman Japanese soldiers in Railroad Tigers and runs rings around rogue paramilitary units and politicians in Northern Ireland in The Foreigner. In Bleeding Steel, Chan’s special agent is up against a cyborg played by Australian actor Callan Mulvey.

It’s easy to s******, but all this would seem like déjà vu to those who were around during Chan’s heyday of the 1980s and 90s. True to the vogue of that time, his Hong Kong block*busters could be as jingoistic as his newer China-oriented output: Chan lectures morals to corrupt expat police officers in Project A (1983), for example. He conquers Spanish hearts and cuisine in Barcelona-set Wheels on Meals (1984), and defeats a cult in Yugoslavia in Armour of God (1986). Remember Rumble in the Bronx (1995), with all those over-the-top gangsters? Then there was that battle with crooked CIA operatives in Rotterdam in Who Am I? (1998).

Ultimately, Chan’s films seem to say as much about the people making them as the people watching them – and the values with which they empathise. Maybe that’s where Chan’s relevance – for both industry researchers and sociologists – lies today: he is a barometer of who Chinese cinema-goers are, and of what they want.

Roll on then, Jackie.
    Let's see now - we covered a lot of these. I'm only going to link the 2017 films because the old ones would be too much (and I luv Kara Hui aka Kara Wai Ying-hung)
    Bleeding Steel
    Mrs K
    The Warriors Gate
    Ninjago
    Earth: One Amazing Day
    Namiya
    Railroad Tigers
    Kung Fu Yoga
    The Foreigner
    Wolf Warrior 2

And let's copy this to the Jackie Chan because his impact on the whole Chollywood Rising movement is something I've been on about for years here.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

"Rush Hour actor"? srsly?

Jackie Chan: Rush Hour actor urges new law to protect China's 'national dignity' from insults
    Martial arts film star has previously suggested it was not 'good to have freedom'
    Chris Baynes 2 days ago
    The Independent Online

Jackie Chan attends a news conference during the National People's Congress in China this week REUTERS

Jackie Chan has sponsored a bill urging Beijing to introduce laws to protect China’s “national dignity” from insults.

The martial arts film star is one of 38 top political advisers who signed a proposal calling for affronts to the country’s “history, heroes and martyrs” be punishable as crimes.

State media said the proposal had been put forward amid a “worrying phenomenon in Chinese society – similar to neo-Nazism in Europe – in which people make fun of martyrs and victims of historical atrocity”.

“They are the scum of Chinese people”, Foreign Minister Wang Yi was quoted as saying.

Last month two Chinese men were detained by police after they were pictured wearing Japanese World War II army uniforms at the site of one of the conflict’s worst atrocities.

Insulting the Chinese national flag, emblem and anthem is already punishable under the country’s law.

But the advisers want to extend legislation to criminalise “affronts to Chinese dignity, history, heroes and martyrs” and “actions by Chinese citizens that promote Japanese militarism and Nazism in China”.

The proposal was put forward by He Yunao, a history professor from Nanjing University, and co-signed by 37 other members of the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC).

“The individual has dignity, but the nation also has dignity”, said Mr He.

Mr Chan has not commented publicly on the bill, but the Hong Kong-born action star has previously spoken in favour of China’s authoritarian rule.

“I’m not sure if it’s good to have freedom or not”, he said in 2009.

“I’m gradually beginning to feel that we Chinese need to be controlled. If we’re not being controlled, we’ll just do what we want.”

The remarks incensed pro-democracy legislators in Hong Kong, but Mr Chan was rewarded for his support for China’s one-party rule by an invitation in 2013 to serve on the CPPCC.

The political consultative conference gives recommendations to the National People’s Congress, although many are never followed up.

This week Mr Chan was in attendance as a delegate at the congress, where state media reported “patriotic discussions” were taking place about protecting the country’s “national dignity”.

The Independent has contacted Mr Chan’s representatives for a comment.
    Jackie is getting more and more nationalistic.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jackie Chan is the 59th highest-paid celebrity in the world
    by Weida Li Jul 17, 2018 11:58 ENTERTAINMENT MOVIES JACKIE CHAN

Hong Kong actor Jackie Chan grossed an income of US$45.5m between June 1, 2017 and June 1, 2018. China News Service

Chinese kung fu star Jackie Chan ranks 59th on the list of ‘Highest-Paid Celebrities 2018’, released by US business magazine Forbes on Monday.

The list, according to Forbes, was compiled using celebrities’ pre-tax earnings between June 1, 2017 and June 1, 2018, before deducting fees for managers, lawyers and agents.

The 64-year-old action star made US$45.5m last year. He appeared in six films that came out in 2017, including starring roles in action flicks Bleeding Steel and The Foreigner. He earned extra income from a vast array of endorsements, producer credits and even his own line of movie theatres, said the magazine.

Related Articles
    Jackie Chan among world’s top five highest-paid actors
    Aug 24, 2017 09:02 Jackie Chan
    Jackie Chan tops list of 100 highest-paid stars in China
    Nov 03, 2017 11:09 movies media entertainment Wu Jing Andy Lau Zhang Ziyi Donnie Yen Fan Bingbing Jackie Chan
    Jackie Chan among Forbes Celebrity 100 for third year running
    Jun 14, 2017 06:53 Jackie Chan career movies
    Last year, Chan grossed a total of US$49m, mainly from the Chinese mainland. The figure put him fifth in the global highest-paid actors list by Forbes.

The martial artist also topped a list of the 100 highest-paid stars in China in 2017, as he earned an average of 80 million yuan (US$12.07m) per film.

The highest earner this year is boxer Floyd Mayweather. His fight against Conor McGregor in Las Vegas in August 2017 generated more than US$550m in revenue.

American actor George Clooney is second thanks to the tequila brand Casamigos he co-founded being purchased by British alcoholic beverages company Diageo for US$700m.

American TV personality Kylie Jenner grabs the third position. Her cosmetic brand Kylie Cosmetics has sold more than US$630m worth of makeup since being established in February 2016.

The full list of the world's highest-paid celebrities can be found here.
    He's the only Asian on the list unless you count #76 Akshay Kumar & #89 Salman Khan. #1 was Floyd Mayweather.

THREADS:
    Jackie Chan
    China's most powerful celebrities
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our latest ezine interview

Do Your Own Stunts. READ Philip Sahagun and the JC Stunt Camp by Gene Ching

Jackie-Chan
    Kung-Fu-Heroes
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Hey, I am watching a documentary movie titled Kung Fu Stuntman in local TV broadcast. If I remember correctly, it was made in year 2022. Hope that the documentary is available worldwide.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Do Your Own Stunts. READ Philip Sahagun and the JC Stunt Camp by Gene Ching
    Looks like the outlink is missing on this article. BTW, this forum has been very slow-loading for that last month or so. Wonder if its just me...
    Last edited by YinOrYan; 08-24-2023 at 12:22 PM.

Our forum has been a little glitchy lately...

...I've tasked our IT to check it out. He hasn't reported back yet - it's always tricky when it's a subtle issue.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips