Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Karate Practioners?

Any Karate Practioners?

yes. its a dirty word in the kung-fu and chinese martial arts realms. But let's stop passing the buck. most of us started on this martial art. Who else takes it or took it?
    It is not always the fastest sword that cuts the deepest...

I did Tang Soo Do from 79-84 then American Freestyle in the Army from 85-92. I was on the Ft Campbell Karate Team for a bit and then joined the Ft Bragg Team when I was transfered. I am clenching in pain just remembering those times. I discovered Tai Chi during that period at Ft Bragg. The karate just kind of fell away after I discovered the Tai Chi. Aikido was pretty big there too and all the groups used to practice together. I dont know if they still do. It all stopped when we all got sent to the 1st Gulf War.

But you were asking about karate. Yep, did it. Loved it too. Good times...
    Give me immortality or give me death!

yes. Okinawan shorin-ryu, orthodox style. With Matayoshi Kodokan kobudo thrown in.

karate-- the 'gateway' martial art lol. Never looked back.

Hey, when you guys see forms competition on ESPN with the 10 yr old blackbelts and 10-second kiai's aren't you glad not to be associated with it anymore? i am.
    Master...Teach me kung fu.

Quote Originally Posted by Banjos_dad
    Hey, when you guys see forms competition on ESPN with the 10 yr old blackbelts and 10-second kiai's aren't you glad not to be associated with it anymore? i am.
    You got that right. It actually hurts when I see this ****. LOL
    John

Have little and gain;
    Have much and be confused.

It does hurt, man.

I was feeling a little bit guilty after posting though, and i realized that two things Sensei left me with were a real strong side kick, and the reverse punch. Karate's reverse punch can shake an entire house.

When you do karate, whether you like it or not you're lumped in with the board breakers & mullet boys. Never mind the emphasis of your study.

I had to totally go back and start from scratch though, to go from 'mawashi geri' to kung fu's roundhouse kick too. I was like, what? roundhouse kick. Only one way to do that right?? lol. not so much! I like the Northern kung fu way better.

I just got guilty and had to come back and give some props.
    Now i'm lumped in with the pajama guys AND the karate guys because people have an even less well defined idea of what kung fu is than karate lol. What a mess.

Not all karate dojos are McDojos.
    Monkey vs. Robot

I trained in Parker Kempo Karate awhile back. I left because it was definatly a McDojo, and I felt like the only student taking my training seriously. In about a year I was ready to earn my black-belt according to the standards of the school, but I could already do our forms and spar more effectivly than our most advanced 5th degree students. It was embarrassing. I'd practice five days a week, and everyone else showed up once or twice. I really liked the teacher though.

Honestly, if I found a traditional Okinawan dojo with a strict budo ethic, I'd consider joining. At least there I'd get something out of it. Although I've never trained in thier styles, Yamaguchi sensei and Oyama sensei are two of my personal martial heros.

Not all karate dojos are McDojos.
    no, but they do all teach karate

if i was prevented from studying CMA but could go anywhere in the USA to learn karate, i would go to the Jundokan.

My point was that not all karate practitioners suck, not all karate teachers suck, and not all karate schools suck. Judging karate based on the Paul Mitchell screaming mullet squad would be no more fair than judging kung fu based on some of the more annoying or pathetic examples of that martial arts community out there. Karate is widely taught and so we see many bad dojos with the good, but there is quality karate out there. If you want to dismiss all karateka as studying an inferior art, that's your call but I wouldn't agree. The Jundokan is an example of the non-McDojo instruction I was suggesting.
    Last edited by Stranger; 07-09-2006 at 05:31 PM.
    Monkey vs. Robot

I enjoyed my stay in a shorin ryu school. At one point the instructor made tournament competition his focus though, and I decided to let it go.
    Lots of karate guys lump every kung-fu school in with non-martial-Tai Chi-flower power types.
    Keep it simple, stupid.

Lots of karate guys lump every kung-fu school in with non-martial-Tai Chi-flower power types
    which would be wrong also
    Monkey vs. Robot

I trained in Shotokan, Kyokushin, and Tang Soo Do. First 2 styles were good strong styles that I miss, but wouldn't go back to. TSD was decent, but it was too similar to Shotokan for my taste.

If you're going to study karate, find yourself a good Japanese or Okinawan style. Stay away from "American Karate" which oftentimes is simply Tae Kwon Do with punches.

BTW, TKD is like the **** plague. I see TKD schools EVERYWHERE.

My first style was Shuri Te. Also did a little Yamani Ryu Bojutsu for a short time.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Any karate video files to share?

If you've got a good, fast internet connection, download some of these.
    This is all the kata of the Matsubayashi Shorin-ryu style.

The traditional kata are those starting with naihanchi. Before naihanchi are kata that were created in the 20th century, for the purposes of simplifying karate so it could be taught to more people at once (as in schools/high schools).
    Ananku is also a later kata, though exactly when it was created is unknown

http://www.matsubayashi-ryu.net/
    "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun! Go back to the shadow, you cannot pass!"