Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Shaolin Temple UK

Real Shaolin Shi Yanzi (50 years old) vs Kickboxer (30 years old) KO! 2018

That's it. I'm creating a new indie Shi Yanzi thread off the Shaolin Temple UK thread. That began focused on Yanzi but then digressed to include other UK monks. I copied all the mentions of Yanzi, but I did that off a search so I probably missed a few comments.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

From Shi Yanlei

Of course, this article doesn't mention Yanlei. It's just a 'shaolin monk', something they poached off his blog. You have to follow the discreet link.

Shaolin Monks Have Shared Their Top Tips For Staying Youthful
    by Chrisa Theodoraki – on Dec 01, 2018 in Health and Fitness

As someone famous once said, staying young is an inside job. It’s not just fish oil and collagen supplements we're talking about, but the right state of mind, which, according to Shaolin monks is just as important to ward off grey hairs.

And their advice is yours to take, because, come on…Who doesn’t like Shaolin monks?

So enjoy these small grains of Chinese wisdom that are just so diametrically opposite from everything we have been hardwired to believe.

Don’t think too much If you look older than your actual age, you might be overanalyzing your relationships, friendships, and your life in general. Τhe western world has likened wisdom to endless hours of thinking, but Buddhists monks apparently disagree.

Don’t talk too much Talking is like thinking, it requires your energy. Unless there’s a professional reason to do so, place your focus on your actions rather than your words. Shaolin monks believe that people either do or say. So be thrifty with your precious energy.When you are happy, you must control your feelingsHappiness doesn’t mean screaming on top of your lungs or rolling on the grass like a puppy. Not only this will hurt your lung energy, but your happiness will not last long.

When you work, make sure to take a 10-minute break every 40 minutes This means your body needs around one-and-a-half-hour break in total during your 8-hour working day. Are you getting enough rest?

Don’t overeat A slight feeling of hunger is beneficial and keeps you younger and more alert. There’s no need to reach for a snack every time the stomach feels light.

Resist feelings of anger and worry It doesn't take a Shaolin monk to tell you that walking around with an angry or worried face all the time doesn’t make you feel or look any younger.

Don’t rush things Multitasking and doing things faster are seen as signs of competence nowadays. But if you want to look younger, “hasten slowly and ye shall soon arrive”.

Exercise in a way that keeps your Yin and Yang in balance We all know that people who exercise regularly look younger. But it is important to stretch and relax your body after strenuous exercise to balance your inner energies.

Finally, like a proper Shaolin monk, practice the ancient art of Kung Fu!
    THREADS
    Shaolin Temple UK
    TCM and Beauty Tips
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Stay Calm and Carry On

Quote Originally Posted by Djuan View Post
    booyah!!

..... maybe you, Xu Xiaodong, are rubbish!! .......lets see Xiaodumb challenge Shi Yan Lei
    Yan Lei is mentioned a lot on our Shaolin Temple UK thread in our Shaolin forum. I'm copying this from our Xu Xiaodong Challenges to Kung Fu. Xu does seem to cherry pick his opponents.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

:)

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Yan Lei is mentioned a lot on our Shaolin Temple UK thread in our Shaolin forum. I'm copying this from our Xu Xiaodong Challenges to Kung Fu. Xu does seem to cherry pick his opponents.
    Shifu Yan Lei is a gem to the martial arts world today, I like his perspective on training, and the commitment it takes for an individual to develop a strong relationship with their gongfu, he said something about the loneliness of the shaolin martial artist being a factor in training to your highest potential. I'll find the video. In any event, I can relate, to the notion of no outside distraction in your training, no excuses, no attachment to ego validation, no competition driven motives, just pure training, gongfu for the sake of gong fu, by definition.... and as funny as it would be to watch him beat some sense in to xu xiaodong, its not necessary lol..... more Chi and more Ch'an !

Amituofo
    "色即是空 , 空即是色 " ~ Buddha via Avalokitesvara
    Shaolin Meditator

I found the video !

The Loneliness Of The Shaolin Martial Artist

this really resonates internally and externally.
    briefly, to not exxhaust your ears, lol .....

externally in my journey of training and being with different students, schools, teachers, places where the culture is non martial arts, or places where its more MMA, no respect for gongfu, etc...you can easily get drawn into the environment which will give you a million distractions at light speed if you let it, you have to stay on your path of gongfu, from your vantage point, your perspective, where ever that may be, and train with pure intent from within, sometimes just to keep going, not being fixated on excelling rapidly for any reason, just keep training. It took me over a decade to figure this out. Once I did, nothing could stop me from training, not even "me"

internally, with hitting walls or discouragement in training, ego traps of expectation or doubt like, getting to proud and slowing down, or getting doubtful of your abilities and slowing down, it all happens, and the longer you train, with your heart in it, genuinely training, those things stop being such a bother, and your relationship with gong fu gets stronger and stronger.
    Amituofo
    Shaolin Meditator

so random

£80 = $103.56 usd

31st october
    jordan cox stole £80 tree from uk shaolin temple in southampton
    by james robinson @dailyechojames
    digital editor

a brazen thief who stole a tree from outside a martial arts centre in southampton has been jailed.

Jordan andrew cox stole an £80 acer tree belonging to the uk shaolin temple, based on pitt road, southampton.

The theft, which took place on may 25, was caught on cctv.

The video shows cox taking the potted tree from outside the temple, before loading it into a silver car.

The 23-year-old is then seen walking into an alleyway, while the vehicle drives off.

Appearing at southampton magistrates’ court, cox, pleaded guilty to the theft, along with a handful of other offences.

The court heard on april 12, cox stole three easter eggs to the value of £24 from tesco’s express.

On april 13, cox jointly with another defendant stole lightning, bedding and a memory foam mattress worth £98.95 belonging to poundstretchers at totton retail park.

Then, on july 22, he stole various food items from co-op in romsey.

In the following month, on august 4, cox stole two desk fans, worth £23.98 from poundland in commercial road, totton.

In total, cox pleaded guilty to five thefts.

He also pleaded guilty to failing to comply with post-custodial supervision requirements from his last prison sentence.

Magistrates jailed cox, of hayward close, totton, to a total of 21 days in prison.

The uk shaolin temple in southampton is a sanctuary aiming to preserve chinese culture through physical activity, including martial arts, festivals and various wellbeing events.

The group are behind the chinese new year celebrations in southampton.

Speaking at the time of the theft, a spokesperson said the plants were there to make the temple “welcoming”.

The spokesperson added: “it is quite shocking that somebody would want to steal from us, for both the members and the local community.

“this is a peaceful sanctuary where people come to feel better in themselves.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Ireland

I've split Shaolin Ireland into its own indie thread from the Shaolin Temple UK thread. I figure with Brexit and all, which is going to really mess Ireland up, it's time for that split - plus the Ireland posts are their own separate thing really.

Shaolin masters arrive in Monart

Authentic Shaolin Masters Master Zheng and Master Jinlei Wang arrived to Ireland from the Henan Province in China for a three month residency at Monart Destination Spa in Wexford where they will showcase of Shaolin Culture

Brendan Keane
    November 2 2019 12:00 AM

Two Shaolin masters, from the Henan province in China, have arrived in Ireland to take up a three-month residency at Monart Destination Spa which will continue until December 7.

Zen Master Zheng and Master Jinlei Wang, who have trained all of their lives at the Shaolin Temple, will teach and carry out performances of Shaolin life and Chinese Culture at the spa.

Shaolin Masters served the people of China as warriors and Buddhist Monks for many centuries earning respect for their discipline, bravery, adaptability and action oriented approach.

They will give demonstrations and instruction on meditation and movement skills to reduce stress, enhance health, improve breathing, release tension and harmonise the link between body and mind.

A spokesperson for the spa said there will also be optional instruction in T'ai Chi, Kung Fu, Qi-Gong and meditation.

Qi-Gong is a series of eight ancient exercises of the Shaolin which promote health and longevity and Tai Chi is a series of slow movements and transitions from differing positions, ranging from easy to challenging, aimed at promoting strength and release tension.

The Shaolin will also showcase the art of Kung Fu each week during their stay and all classes will be free to residents of the spa.

The masters will also offer Shaolin warrior massage treatments which originated in ancient times to keep muscles and body healthy.

The Shaolin continue this 2,000-year-old tradition and the masters' visit will give people here an opportunity to view a window into China's ancient past.

Commenting on the Shaolin residency Liam Anthony Griffin, Director of the Griffin Group, said everyone at Monart Destination Spa was 'honoured' to welcome the two masters.

'Their culture and ethos is truly unique,' he said.

'They are dedicated to health and wellbeing and to strengthening the mind and body to be prepared for what life brings and we are delighted to learn from them and see them share their 2,000-year-old traditions with all of our guests,' he added.

Their residency will give people rare opportunity to train with and learn from Shaolin masters.

The Shaolin Experience is on offer until December 7, and will give people unrestricted access to all of the Shaolin classes including meditation, Qi-gong and Tai Chi.

The Shaolin Warrior Massage is also available for guests to book, at €120 and further details can be accessed through www.monart.ie.

Wexford People
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

How Shaolin Monks Smash Through Their Comfort Zone

How Shaolin Monks Smash Through Their Comfort Zone

nice quick work out. you can add time/exercises from JBG orr any Qi Gong that you want. mix it up!! keep training!!

Amituofo
    Shaolin Meditator

Save Shaolin Temple UK

Thousands petition to save Shaolin Temple UK from relocation
    27th October
    COMMUNITY
    LOCAL GOVERNMENT
    PLANNING AND DEVELOPMENT
    ISLINGTON

By Joseph Reaidi
    @Reaidi_
    Reporter

The Abbot of the Shaolin Temple in China, Shi Yong Xin, leads a ceremony at the London Shaolin Temple (Image: Archant)

Thousands have backed a petition calling to save a temple from relocation.

The Shaolin Temple in Junction Road, Tufnell Park, is at risk of having to find a new home as its lease is set to expire in 2026.

Islington Council has proposed in its draft local plan that the temple and three sites could be used to introduce seven pitches for the Gypsy and traveller community.

However nearly 6,000 people have signed an online petition titled ‘Save the Shaolin Temple UK’, which cites the hundreds it has served in the community for years.

Grandmaster Shi Yong Xin in 2014 (Image: Archant)

The temple, said to be the only Shaolin Chan Buddhism Temple in the UK, is described as an “influential community centre” in Islington and is also a registered charity.

Founded in 1988 by Grandmaster Shifu Shi Yanzi, the temple was established to promote the study of Chan Buddhism wisdom and techniques.

He described how he had found his "life's purpose" in building something "impressive and inspiring" in the UK after attending the Shaolin Temple China at 16 and seeing other religions' places of worhship.

He added: “I could lose everything I have worked hard for. My life will be destroyed and my life purpose shattered.

The Abbot of the Shaolin Temple in China, Shi Yong Xin, in 2014 (Image: Archant)

“This place which has been the spiritual sanctuary for the many people who have stepped through the doors of Shaolin Temple UK over the years will be gone.”

In 2014, the UK temple was blessed to become a sacred and spiritual place for the community.

The site was previously put forward by Transport for London (TfL) as a housing site and was allocated in earlier drafts for “residential development”. Previous consultations during 2018 and 2019 raised no objections.

According to the grandmaster, it would take him years to rebuild a temple elsewhere what it is now.

Inside the temple in 2014 (Image: Archant)

He said: “Shaolin Temple UK cannot be moved, it would be a huge loss to the community and a sacred building would be gone forever."

Islington Council says it is committed to create a “more equal borough”.

A spokesperson said: “The council’s local plan is an important document which, when agreed with the Government, allows the council to hold developers to a high standard in the borough, including the requirement for 50 per cent genuinely affordable homes.”

The council continued: “We are aware that Shaolin Temple UK serves an important community and religious function, and are committed to working with them to identify a new site that is at least an equivalent standard and is as close as possible to the current site.

“The identification of such a site would need to take place before the premises can be redeveloped into a gypsy and traveller site.”

A public consultation on modifications to the local plan will remain open until Sunday (October 30).

Comments can be made by emailing: planningpolicy@islington.gov.uk

To sign the public petition, visit: https://bit.ly/3TK7syQ
    I met Yanzi at Shaolin Temple many years ago. We were in the waiting area just prior to an audience with the abbot.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Enoal & Shaolin

Shaolin Temple student stars in Netflix’s new Enola Holmes movie
    By Maanya Sachdeva - 1st December 2022

Serrana Su-Ling Bliss
    A student at Junction Road’s Shaolin Temple has earned new fame with her breakout role in Netflix’s Enola Holmes 2 starring Millie Bobby Brown and Henry Cavill.

The film’s cast also includes Harry Potter stars Helena Bonham Carter and David Thewlis, as well as Sam Claflin and Louis Partridge.

Serrana Su-Ling Bliss plays Bessie Chapman, a factory girl who approaches young Enola played by Brown, to help find her missing sister Sarah, played by Hannah Dodd.

“During filming, [Brown] had her pet rabbit and poodle in her tent, and I would play with them. Her boyfriend Jake [Bongiovi] was also there a lot, and we sometimes played UNO together,” Bliss said.

In an interview with Islington Now, the young actor recalled meeting “these huge stars” on set, adding that she “loved hanging out with” Brown.

Bliss recounted other memorable moments from her time filming Enola Holmes 2, including speaking to Cavill about his costumes in The Witcher, and getting acting tips from Thewlis.

“I also had my 12th birthday on set,” she said, adding, “It was so much fun, and they sang me ‘Happy Birthday’ on set.”

Bliss, who lives in Haringay with her family, has been training at the UK’s only Shaolin Chan Buddhist Temple, near Tufnell Park station, for nearly seven years.

“Actually, the reason I started kung-fu was because I saw the animated film Kung-Fu Panda, and I loved how Master Shifu made the flower blossom,” Bliss said.

“I said to my mom, I want to learn kung-fu so I can make a flower bloom.”

Bliss told Islington Now that she got her first acting gig – in a commercial for Lawn Tennis Association – through doing martial arts.

“In the advertisement, I start out playing tennis but then transform into a ninja with a tennis racquet and do some martial arts moves,” she said.

Bliss, now 13, said she feels “very lucky to be able to train” at the Temple, with Grandmaster Shifu Yanzi.

“I think it’s a very unique, rare community. It’s given me so much confidence, and the instructors have been such amazing?mentors,” she added.

Bliss made her acting debut as Sharon Nicholas in Kenneth Branagh’s Oscar-nominated Belfast, which was released last year.

She is also part of the child dance ensemble cast in Matilda the Movie, which released in UK cinemas on 25 November.
    Enola-Holmes
    Shaolin-Temple-UK
    Shaolin-Journeys

BTW, I watched S2 of Enola and enjoyed it more than S1. Maybe I'll review it here someday...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips