Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Shaolin Temple UK

More on Yanlei

Interesting marketing. Did he really get an endorsement from Oprah and Tiger? That would be awesome.
    Qigong Can Cut the Risk of Catching Flu

A ancient moving meditation from a Buddhist temple in China can boost the immune system, a study has shown.

(PRWEB) November 19, 2009 -- Qigong exercises that were originally practiced by Shaolin monks to boost their martial power can increase the immune system by up to 50% if practiced at least three times a week.

The Qigong Workout whose advocates include Oprah Winfrey and Tiger Woods increase the immune system by activating the lymphatic system, increasing the intake of oxygen and improving circulation.

Shifu Yan Lei, the author of Instant Health: The Shaolin Qigong Workout For Longevity says, "The only thing that can cure a cold or flu is our immune system and the best way to boost our immune system is with a regular Qigong Workout.”

The study conducted at Wonkwang University in the Republic of Korea showed that individuals practicing Qigong had a much higher type of white blood cell that plays an active role in immune function.

“At the Shaolin temple we were not allowed one day off from training and none of us ever got a cold,” says Yan Lei who went there as a boy to study these ancient Qigong movements.

In his book he personally guides the reader through a complete Qigong Workout that combines simple martial movements with stretches and breathing exercises.

“There is nothing esoteric or hippy about Qigong. They are practical exercises that can help us to beat the winter bugs.”

Instant Health: The Shaolin Qigong Workout For Longevity is distributed by Small Press United in North America. And it is available from: www.qigongworkout.com in Europe.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

who cares if he is a 'lay disciple'... Wong Long was a lay disciple of the Shaolin Temple and hell, he created the entire mantis fighting system.

Anyways, which forms do Shaolin Temple U.K teach? XiaoHong has been mentioned, but are the others like SevenStar etc taught too? What about weapons - staff, saber, jian, spear etc?

I dont want to get in trouble but I get the feeling with this school that San Shou is higher on the list then for example Xiao Hong Quan.

Schools have the freedom to teach what they like or want in ways I guess but I never understood why a Shaolin School teaches San Shou, especially since according to wiki the Chinese Goverment developped this type of Martial Art for the Military in the 1960s
    ( I know wiki is not always correct )

It appears more like a Chinese Boxing school with pictures of gloves on the main page to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
    I dont want to get in trouble but I get the feeling with this school that San Shou is higher on the list then for example Xiao Hong Quan.

Schools have the freedom to teach what they like or want in ways I guess but I never understood why a Shaolin School teaches San Shou, especially since according to wiki the Chinese Goverment developped this type of Martial Art for the Military in the 1960s
    ( I know wiki is not always correct )

It appears more like a Chinese Boxing school with pictures of gloves on the main page to me.
    I have been wondering about/thinking the exact same thing. I have trained mantis for the last 4 years, so I am used to seeing/practicing quite a few forms/weapons along with sparring/application. I dont want to gallop through the shaolin forms, but it does worry me that the school seems to mainly promote SanShou, with a few Kung Fu specific warm ups/drills, than anything else. In this sense it does appear to be a Chinese boxing school, and what application are taken from the form/s seem to be only those suitable for gloves

I moved to London a few years ago and since have just had to train on my own. I always liked the idea of Shaolin U.K, but again everytime I became interested and looked at their site/videos, I got a little unenthused by all the SanShou. I emailed them a few days ago and asked if they taught any other forms etc.

I'm hoping all the nice arm breaks, finger strikes and claws to the groin are present within their teaching syllabus, as well as the SanShou techs.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyfoot View Post
    I'm hoping all the nice arm breaks, finger strikes and claws to the groin are present within their teaching syllabus, as well as the SanShou techs.
    I hope I don't give away secrets but the vast majority of Shaolin techniques are not "nice arm breaks, finger strikes and claws to the groin".

I feel that San Shou is completely compatible with Shaolin. In fact, I would say most of Shaolin is "advanced" material that should only be learned after you can withstand the rigors of full-contact fighting.

I've never trained with the school in question but it seems far more worthwhile to learn Shaolin in conjunction with San Shou than Shaolin in conjunction with modern taolu that you see in most of these "monks'" schools.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyfoot View Post
    I hope I don't give away secrets but the vast majority of Shaolin techniques are not "nice arm breaks, finger strikes and claws to the groin".

I feel that San Shou is completely compatible with Shaolin. In fact, I would say most of Shaolin is "advanced" material that should only be learned after you can withstand the rigors of full-contact fighting.

I've never trained with the school in question but it seems far more worthwhile to learn Shaolin in conjunction with San Shou than Shaolin in conjunction with modern taolu that you see in most of these "monks'" schools.

Quote Originally Posted by pazman View Post

Quite true, I was wasn't using these as direct examples of shaolin techniques (they're actually more 'mantis'), but instead to demonstrate the sort of techniques/style of learning I'm also looking for. SanShou might well be compatible with Shaolin, but as you have pointed out there is a distinction. I am hoping that they dont just teach SanShou as Shaolin Kung Fu...if that makes sense

Shaolin has lots of techniques along with QinNa that cant be executed wearing gloves, i'd hope ithey teach both.

Anyway, I going to head over for a year anyway. They have an offer on for 365 pounds for the whole year, which is pretty **** good!

What's wrong with san shou? I would think people would be all on board with that in the west.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

@monkeyfoot

I understand what you mean, it just a lil puzzeling.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    What's wrong with san shou? I would think people would be all on board with that in the west.
    Nothing wrong with it David, but it would be nice to also combine the more 'art' side of shaolin, if that makes sense.

Not saying I just want to sit in Ma Bu all day with the warped idea that it will make me a great fighter, but I do dig the traditional aspects of Shaolin, like forms etc - not just working the bag

Craig

Asking someone who claims to have a fight record what that fight record is shouldn't really be answered by 'I'm not telling so there!' and certainly not by 'How dare you ask me? Come down to my class and ask me, and see what happens to you!'

If you do answer like that, then that will inevitably create suspicion about the claims, justified or not.

But I also notice that many times it's not the teachers who do this, but their students, accidentally making their teachers look bad. 'Negative devotees' is the phrase, I believe.
    It's not worth a penny!

Surely a high importance on San Shou is a good thing? After all why learn something if you can't apply your new knowledge??

Quote Originally Posted by Plimft View Post
    Surely a high importance on San Shou is a good thing? After all why learn something if you can't apply your new knowledge??
    This is a valid point and I do agree. However, sanshou is not reality street fighting, and in the end they're still wearing gloves...so applying techniques to sanshou isn't 'real' application of fighting techniques per say.

You're right, San Shou isn't reality street fighting, but it's a good test of your fighting skills. In my experience if you try to train for 'street' fighting in a dojo you spend more time comparing cool looking techniques that have no viability than you do training for proper 'street' fights. A good example is Bujinkan, lots of pretty moves but you spend all your time doing them half speed cos they're too dangerous to practice full tilt.

That's my opinion anyway I'm a fan of San Shou. I believe if you can hold your own on the Lei Tai you can probably hold your own on the streets...

Also, to say that Shaolin Temple UK is solely a San Shou school is a little unfair. When I trained there ther us a bias towards San Shou when conducting Gong Fu training but there's also forms training along with practical applications of all your form techniques. There's meditation, qi gong and even tai chi! It's a very good rounded school that caters for all facets of martial arts, or at least it did when I trained there previously and I plan to go back there, so it must have made an impression!