Thread: Wing Chun for newborns...

Wing Chun for newborns...

My son was born on the 25th!

It seems that he only likes to fall asleep when I hold him and shift on my heels!

If only I had the sleep to give my 100%!!!

Just wanted to share. Anyone else use WC with their child? Maybe doing squats while putting their child down?

Best,
    Kenton Sefcik
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Congrats Man,

It's a special time for you and your wife, so enjoy and don't worry about WC training as much, enjoy the moments when they are that young and precious.

After mine was born, about a year old, I started to show her some moves and then she started to beat other baby's up, so not a good thing to teach when they are that young.

James

Smile Congrats

Hello,

Congrats to you and your wife. As James said enjoy this time and don't worry about Wing Chun as much. Life is about balance and IMHO family is most important. One thing I have always respected about my Sifu is he always advocates putting family first. Wing Chun will always be there waiting for you to pick up again if you leave off. However, the formative years of your children will pass far too quickly and never be recaptured.

By all means include your child in your Wing Chun if there are interested. But more important be interested in you child.
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

Congrats Kenton!
    Hope mom is doing well.
    It's a big adjustment, but well worth it. You're in for a lot of 'firsts' and enjoy them all.
    Our daughter was not a sleeper at all, and that lasted for about 6 - 8 months of up every 2 hours or so. Me and my wife were a complete wreck. The one thing that saved us was this book

http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASI...793653-1232322

Once we started implementing the things in the book. It was almost an overnight change.

Congrats again

J
    Yo mama is so fat, she has jeans made by Jeep

Oh ya, well Yo mama is so fat, she has a blackbelt at McDonald's

Congratulations Kenton.

And yes, I do the same as well. More forwards and backwards stepping, and footwork from the knife form.

Thank you all for the kind words and good advice.

Last night was tough because he had gas and no type of footwork was helping at all!!! Our midwife recommended the blending of Fennel Seed Tea with Catnip and brewing this (and cooling it) has worked tremendously.

It's just that he gets a 'bitter beer' face when I put the decoction in his mouth!

I won't be going back to Wing Chun for a little while. I really need to be here with my wife to help and to bond with my son. When I go back, I'll only go once a week and try to get some private lessons here and there to keep it up. I agree that it's most important to be with my family now.

Sihing, I didn't know you had a daughter. Perhaps that is why you moved back to T.B.? Either way, hope it's going well there. PM me if you ever come back to Cowtown for a visit.

Jeff, Sleep is okay for now, but thanks for the link. It just seemed that after my wife's milk came in, his gas went through the roof!

Sihing73, I don't think I would push my son into martial arts...I'm sure he'll see me do enough kicking and punching and if he wants to join in...great!

CFT, glad I'm not the only one!

Best,
    Kenton
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Kenton,

If your son's gas persists, there is a remote possibility that he is sensitive to milk, either lactose intolerant or allergic to milk protein. My son developed this when he was 6 months old - became apparent due to a bout of diarrhea and then noticed spots around his mouth when in contact with cows milk. Excessive gas is another sign. But hopefully your son will not suffer from this - its more common in SE Asians.

Couch and CFT

Our midwife recommended the blending of Fennel Seed Tea with Catnip and brewing this (and cooling it) has worked tremendously.

((Strained and cooled tea from fennel seed administered little bit at a time is an old household remedy in India for colic and gas. For adults chewing fennel seeds
    aftera rich spicy meal helps keep equilibrium. I dont know much about catnip))Joy

If your son's gas persists, there is a remote possibility that he is sensitive to milk, either lactose intolerant or allergic to milk protein. My son developed this when he was 6 months old - became apparent due to a bout of diarrhea and then noticed spots around his mouth when in contact with cows milk. Excessive gas is another sign. But hopefully your son will not suffer from this - its more common in SE Asians.

((Lactose intolerance in varying degreess occurs in eastern India as well. The irony is that the best desserts there are also made from cow's milk))Joy Chaudhuri
    PS Congrats on the new baby- congrats to sihing 73 as well..

Quote Originally Posted by Sihing73
    By all means include your child in your Wing Chun if there are interested. But more important be interested in you child.
    Very sound advice IMO.
    'Talk is cheap because there is an excess of supply over demand'

<baby roundtable>
    My wife's home remedy from her country of Colombia is to boil whole star anise in water and administer the liquid plain or mixed with mother's milk. Worked great for ours when he had this problem, helps him to pass the gas easily making him far more comfortable. When they get older than 3 months the gas problems clear up more as their stomach is bigger and digestion better.

</baby roundtable>

There are other aspects of Wing Chun you can teach your daughter besides fighting too.

Like certain principles you can slowly teach her through games and such. Very subtle but very effective if you are patient and can be adaptive with your methods of "play".