Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Why Hung Kuen is the best

actually the wc-ers were given their own forum just to keep them off the other boards. That way they can all wallow in the most politically charged style of kunfu ever created.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

ahhh. I was wondering what that strange peaceful feeling was whenever I'm on this site... no chunners. I should have known. There really aren't enough hung ga threads, but I attribute that to it not being a contraversial style.

Hung kuen is the best because it is powerful, versitile, vast and complete, no nonsense, it has a good reputation, is deeply rooted in fighting, and a clear lineage. It is frequently the style that is the exception to MMA fanboy's "CMA sucks" rants. Its the style everyone knows is bad @$$, and no one wants to mess with. Plus, we have Wong Fei Hung, is by far the most well known martial artist, (dare I say) ever... except bruce lee... but he doesn't count... Plus lam sai wing, another super famous bad @$$ MAist, who we have direct knowledge of through lam jo, and his well documented career in MA. And who can forget the Lau's. Lau kar leung almost single handedly redefined chinese martial arts films.

Angry

streetfigther, you are a *** that needs constant, positive reinforcement.

Angry

those stars were"you are a f*g, fill in the rest.

I don't entirely disagree... except for the f*g part. But this thread is just a silly little thread made so you can say what you like about hung kuen, and what makes it 'the best'. Thats whay I did... I take it you didn't like my chunner hating. I don't really dislike the styel, or its practitioners, but just the hastle of dealing with them. There is so much contraversy that always plagues these forums, that is really tedious and trivial. It bothers me. Thats why it feels peaceful without them here.

btw, man, I didn't know they star out ***. That kinda dumb...

Quote Originally Posted by steve71 View Post
    not bashing your style but hung gar is good. but do you know much about the hop gar style the name is know good if the sifu is know good.you can read of hop gar but that donot mean you know of the style or ever seen it in action. my sifu tells us to never bad mouth any style for it shows disrespect and that is not the way to be.

Not sure what the problem is but Ten Tigers is a long time friend of mine and coming from a Lama backround his post was on the money about the influences that white crane, lama, and hop ga have had on Hung Kune.

Everybody knows that within all good Hung Kuen practioners there is an even better CLF man waiting to get out.
    A wise man knows, that to know is to know that to know is not to know

Gateshead,Tyne & Wear {for now then Edinburgh Scotland}
    No comment @ CHAZ
    Last edited by LXP=06; 08-17-2006 at 03:19 PM.
    [Why is the rum always gone]

Wink Jamieson sez

actually the wc-ers were given their own forum just to keep them off the other boards.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Really? I see from all the discussions that Hung Gar, CLF, "Shaolin". taichi-taiji
    are all antiseptic, non political, happy families-

see? see what you've done now? Now all the WC peeps will be in here looking for a fight because of some little off hand comment.

Once again proving my point made earlier I guess.

as for clf, well say what you like. I still think Hung is better in my little bubble of a world.

jow ga? isn't that a system made from clf and hung kuen?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by street_fighter View Post
    ahhh. I was wondering what that strange peaceful feeling was whenever I'm on this site... no chunners. I should have known. There really aren't enough hung ga threads, but I attribute that to it not being a contraversial style.

Hung kuen is the best because it is powerful, versitile, vast and complete, no nonsense, it has a good reputation, is deeply rooted in fighting, and a clear lineage. It is frequently the style that is the exception to MMA fanboy's "CMA sucks" rants. Its the style everyone knows is bad @$$, and no one wants to mess with. Plus, we have Wong Fei Hung, is by far the most well known martial artist, (dare I say) ever... except bruce lee... but he doesn't count... Plus lam sai wing, another super famous bad @$$ MAist, who we have direct knowledge of through lam jo, and his well documented career in MA. And who can forget the Lau's. Lau kar leung almost single handedly redefined chinese martial arts films.
    actually clf is the style that everyone knows is bad A$$

wong fei hung is famous but the reason why he the most well known is because of the movies "once upon a time in china, iron monkey, drunken master etc"

and Lau Kar Leung didnt single handedly redefine chinese martial arts films, everyone knows it was Bruce Lee that did that.

i still dont see why hung kune is the best

Alright. Single handed redefinition might be a stretch, but one can't deny his enourmous contribution. All those old 70's KF flicks were hung kuen (mostly lau family) guys. I'd say that Hung kuen contributed to the MA film industry more than any other style (except modern wushu maybe, but that don't count), and hung doesn't even look good ^_^!
    Last edited by street_fighter; 08-23-2006 at 09:02 PM.

hung kuen misnomer

Hung gar is a very popular style, and compared to alot of kungfu styles, IMO it is alot easier to learn. And everyone seems to dit 'it' differently! (a good thing)

Beyond looking at the gung ji, or fu hok- then looking at clf or praying mantis, most would be inclined to take the path were there are more comrades along for the ride.

Problem here is, there is a plummetting credibility of 'hung' instructors- regarless of how 'many' forms they know- articulation of the techniques is the true hung skill-

Now, I don't know much about tigerclaw clans in nyc; but I would put money on anyone with expert training in the southern mantis (conditioning and etc) would understand a style like Hung gar much deeper than someone 'inside' practicing the art for 5-10 yrs!!!

(same goes for clf, etc- it's all about the quality of the individual's understanding of every move- ...ie. articulation.)

-how could someone call hung kuen a 'mutt style'? or clf a 'northern fist?' shame. shame shame.

Quote Originally Posted by street_fighter View Post
    and hung doesn't even look good ^_^!
    But it DOES when G-Liu performs it!!!
    Iron Bridge, Iron Horse, 1000 lbs sitting, Fist like Hammer, Finger like Sword, Palm like knife, Claw like Hook, Eyes like Lightning, Fist like shooting Star, Body as supple as a Snake, Body alligned behind punch, Horse Stance 1000 lbs., Strong, but NOT stiff... Fast, but NOT weak!!!

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    nothing wrong with being a "mutt" , it only means that Hung-Ga is a melange of technique and concepts drawn from other arts-Hung Kuen, Lo-Hon,Hop-Ga,Fukien or hakka Kuen type short bridges. It is certainly not meant in a condescending tone. A mutt is a slang term for a mixed breed.