Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wing Chun Kicking

so where does the power in a kick come from?

Supporting a kick ?

Quote Originally Posted by IRONMONK
    My kicking power comes from the waist, knee and good old gravity.

Add a little stepping momentum or force borrowed from the opponent and hi ya.... a heavy kick.

How many here just kick as you like from any distance, and how many only kick with the hands in contact ?

Im quite curious as the VT im taught strictly teaches to only kick with the hands connected to the opponent ? (although we 'at times' break this rule )
    Training is the pursuit of perfection - Fighting is settling for results - ME

Thats not VT

"This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to"- TOOL

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Its good to be the King - http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqmgJIJM98

Although not 'Secret', this
    article from Augustine Fong's lineage pretty much sums up what I was taught (in a different lineage).

And I'm the same as you Liddel: 'strictly' always kick with three legs, never with one unless you don't feel so strict!

i dnt get the side kicks

are side kicks like TKD or like Muay Tuai?

im confused i thought that r just front kicks

Different....

Quote Originally Posted by sir-elrik
    i dnt get the side kicks

are side kicks like TKD or like Muay Tuai?

im confused i thought that r just front kicks
    With regard to my VT only - NO the side kicks are not like those of TKD or Muay Tuai.

The foot takes a different path which ISNT round. After all the shortest distance between two points IS a straight line

With this 'Path' in mind, the touch point of the foot is different when it meets the target and therefore the force is a little different also.

My Side kick is present in CK following the first two sections with the front kick.

Lok Yiu Lineage FYI.

It seems many Lineages have more than ONE kick, and if mine only had one kick, i would have questioned this long ago.

Thats not VT

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Do u hv any pics that can illuminate me (us)

Quote Originally Posted by IRONMONK
    As Liddel pointed out: good old gravity.

Sinking while kicking adds more stability, which equals more power.

Best,
    Kenton
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Try this...

Quote Originally Posted by sir-elrik
    Do u hv any pics that can illuminate me (us)
    Well you really need video to see it in motion, pics are rather limited but here is one i found lurking around on the net....

http://www.kungfulife.com/archives/Training.jpg

I prefer this photo because you can see the hands are used correctly (from my POV).

I either kick when my hands are in direct contact with the opponent, ie pull on an arm and kick...borrowing stability and power from thier body... OR

Like in this photo, block a comming action and kick almost simultaneously.

In either senario you have contact with the opponent.

Hope this helps.... anyone else out there got a different spin ? perhaps some pics too ?

Thats not VT

Quote Originally Posted by Liddel
    The foot takes a different path which ISNT round. After all the shortest distance between two points IS a straight line
    I've got a question about that. Because of the anatomy of our arms and legs it seems to me that sometimes a straight line is curved. Like an orbiting satellite, or hitting a tetherball. It goes as straight as it can but since it's connected to a stationary center it describes an arc. The WC idea of straight lines is a nice idea but should it be taken strictly literally?

Weapon vs target.

Quote Originally Posted by Kapten Klutz
    I've got a question about that. Because of the anatomy of our arms and legs it seems to me that sometimes a straight line is curved.
    In my mind a straight line cannot be curved, its only one or the other, only the apperance can be both as you mention IMO.

Like an orbiting satellite, or hitting a tetherball. It goes as straight as it can but since it's connected to a stationary center it describes an arc.
    They are not straight, These are totally different situations IMO. Why ?

Because a satellite orbits a round object like earth for example and gravity is constent.

With a tetherball, the tether always remains taught, the only way for the ball to take a straight path is for the line to have slack.

Our kick CAN have slack because humans have Kness, which is a hinge, therefore has the ability to travel a straight line. This also applies to our hands because we have elbows.
    Your right, the presence of a curve is there but its the knee and elbow that make the path straight and give it the apperance of a curved path. IMO.

The WC idea of straight lines is a nice idea but should it be taken strictly literally?
    Yes, the idea governs the actions IMO, however there are times its not the path of least resistance, at which time you may choose to use a round action/path.

The fundemental thing that is present with all styles of kicking is that you launch one weapon (the foot) at one specific chosen target.
    These two points are most important to me, what my weapon is, and where is the target.

With this in mind, the path my foot takes (the weapon) from the ground to the target is a straight line... which appears circular to an observer.

But hey my POV may be totally useless because after all we may just have different kicking methods

This is hard to illustrate without showing

What do you think ?

Thats not VT

If I've understood right, then one of the kicks we train would be an example of what you're describing. It's a straight forward kick to the stomach, and the important thing is that you don't swing from the hip like a guy kicking a field goal, but that you lift the knee first and shoot the foot forward, striking with the heel. The foot itself moves in a straight diagonal line upwards and forwards and the knee takes up the "slack" as you called it.

This is a lot like the centerline punch in terms of mechanics, but upside-down.

Does this sound right?

Anyhow I guess the point of this in WC theory is speed. You prioritize speed since getting there a tenth of a second sooner can make all the difference.

This still leaves a couple of questions open to me. One is the more typical round-kick which we also practice. Striking area is the lower shin and you aim at the side of his leg or the lower ribs area. This is definitely circular and takes more time. I have no idea if this is pure WC or not, but it's a nice kick to know, I like it, and I invest time in improving it.

What I would think is that if it's a bit slower, then you should only use it when your opponent doesn't have anything faster. Basically speed is relative. By the way, since you asked, the way they showed us both of these kicks they can be used before hands are in contact.

Also to go back to tetherballs and stuff, the backfist in lap sau drills seems to me like a tetherball anchored at the elbow. That's the kind of thing I meant where the straightest line available is still curved.

But since you mentioned that someone might also choose a circular approach if it's the path of least resistance then I guess you aren't a straight-line taliban, or did I miss your point?
    Last edited by Kapten Klutz; 06-28-2006 at 09:38 AM.

hmmm...

But since you mentioned that someone might also choose a circular approach if it's the path of least resistance then I guess you aren't a straight-line taliban, or did I miss your point?
    Hmmm....my views are this. Wing Chun, like Xingyi(sp?) is predominantly linear in its approach. However every art must contain linear and circular to be an effecive art. Within the linear there is always the circular...just not in a visible way. Even when executing a simple technique as a tan sau one doesn't just 'shoot' the tan sau out...right? No. the tan sau comes out in a 'spiral' (for lack of a better term) fashion.

Now to combat the circular one might say that a circle is 'cut through' with a straight line. So how would you combat the linear? Well, use the circle to combat the linear (footworks is a very important component of such). So, like yum and yeung (ying/yang) one must keep a balance of both to make the art work for you. Now, I may be wrong in my limited view but, it is how I see it at my stage of training. Some humble thoughts from yours truly.

DRleungjan
    It is amazing for me to understand that "unexplainable" no longer has to mean "nonexistent". pp172
    Grave's End: A True Ghost Story by Elaine Mercado, R.N.

It'll only get harder without showing....

If I've understood right, then one of the kicks we train would be an example of what you're describing. It's a straight forward kick to the stomach, and the important thing is that you don't swing from the hip like a guy kicking a field goal, but that you lift the knee first and shoot the foot forward, striking with the heel. The foot itself moves in a straight diagonal line upwards and forwards and the knee takes up the "slack" as you called it.
    With regard to what i was saying, this is almost correct bar two points.
    1) The waist is used and adds much power.
    2) The knee is where the slack COMES from (think back to the tetherball) making it possible for your foot to travel in a straight line, if the knee was straight the path would have to be round as you described in your previous post, "circling a fixed Center."

This is a lot like the centerline punch in terms of mechanics, but upside-down.

Does this sound right?
    I guess you could look at it that way, sure

This still leaves a couple of questions open to me. One is the more typical round-kick which we also practice. Striking area is the lower shin and you aim at the side of his leg or the lower ribs area. This is definitely circular and takes more time. I have no idea if this is pure WC or not, but it's a nice kick to know, I like it, and I invest time in improving it.
    My opinion on this may differ from others. This description is not of a VT kick IMO.
    Why ? because from my POV it doesnt stick to MY VT theory.
    But dont get me wrong its a useful kick to have and use im only talking about its origin so to speak.

Also to go back to tetherballs and stuff, the backfist in lap sau drills seems to me like a tetherball anchored at the elbow. That's the kind of thing I meant where the straightest line available is still curved.
    Again like the kick, my theory still apllies here too. My back fist would take a straight line path from its original position (where ever that may be, in Lop Sao its on the opponents bridge) to the target. The straight line path is defined by my shoulder and elbow.

Heres a test to re itterate my point so you can SEE what i mean.

Sit at a table with a big piece of paper in front of you. (Get one wider than your shoulders.)

On the paper mark two points, one in the middle of the paper at the far west side, one at the far east.

Now, You can turn at the waist but face your chair foward during the test.

Using one hand, try to draw a line from the West side Point you made, to the east point.

If you keep a straight elbow, the line from the west point to the east point will be circular.
    (If your posture is bad and you lean foward or back you get a different line altogether.)

If you bend at the elbow you ARE ABLE to draw a straight line between the West point and the East point. (at first or with practice)

Now maybe you get my point, hopefully i described it ok
    This is why in VT we keep the elbows in (amoung other reasons) if your elbow is straight you cant achieve a straight line with any action.

One exception is Garn Sao, many people IMO keep the elbow straight right from the get go, hence the action comes in from the side in a circular motion, not from the center line with the elbow 'becomming' straight.

Yeah mate, i love VT but im not so blinded i dont believe in "A time and a place for anything" we have a banana punch for certain senarios. Its a little less than half way between straight and full circle.

If your gunna go round you can still be economic
    Last edited by Liddel; 06-28-2006 at 04:20 PM.

Thats not VT

There is one kick

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    I have come acrossed a supposed "traditional" saying that states that "the art of Wing Chun has only one kick." The Wing Chun that I've practiced definitely has more than one. All of the other styles of Wing Chun that I see have more than one kick. Did this saying come from a "purist"? Is there a meaning to this supposed traditional saying that I'm not catching???
    The key is in the word "art". The system of Wing Chun has many kicks, but the "art" of Wing Chun has only one kick.